Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-11-2010, 03:57 AM   #1
rischa
rischa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Unhappy Frozen Kobo

Hi there, I've been lurking for quite a while now... the main reason I don't really say anything is because up until now my Kobo has been working perfectly. I've probably had it for about 6 months now, and apart from all the common issues (font size etc) it's been great.

Today on my lunch break, I finished reading a book (DRM-free epub, loaded via Calibre) and started reading another (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn... the kobo version that came with the device) which was all fine - when I was done I powered off as is my habit. This evening I've gone to power up Kobo again and it can't get any further than the 7 little black bars. I've done several paper clip resets to no avail. When I plug Kobo into the PC, the PC sees it fine, but the Kobo doesn't indicate that it's been plugged in.

It's an original Kobo, on the original firmware (since I've been happy I haven't seen the need to update, plus I like having cover images). Anyone have any ideas? I'm afraid I'll have to replace the dB, but I'd rather not if it's avoidable.

Thanks in advance!
rischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:48 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Sounds like the battery is discharged. You really SHOULD do the firmware upgrade as that DOES help battery life.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
rischa

Oh sorry, I should have said that when I started reading yesterday I checked the battery and it was at full charge as I charged it the day before last. And I only read for my lunchbreak, which was not quite 1 hour.

I don't think it's the battery... otherwise how would it be going through a boot cycle (or half of one) before it gets stuck? Wouldn't it just be frozen onto the same screen?

On a side note, I've been happy with the battery life so haven't felt the need to do the upgrade... doesn't seem to be an option now as it seems quite stuck.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
rischa

btw, I don't appreciate you condescending tone.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Rischa; I am sorry if you took that as a condescending tone. However, it IS the norm in any form of tech support, for the very first action to be taken to be ensuring that your device IS up to date as far as software and firmware levels go.

Otherwise, frankly, it becomes too complex for ANYONE to diagnose and support a myriad of devices and configurations.

Consider my involvement in this thread over.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:34 PM   #6
mamasue
Zealot
mamasue began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rischa View Post
It's an original Kobo, on the original firmware (since I've been happy I haven't seen the need to update, plus I like having cover images). Anyone have any ideas? I'm afraid I'll have to replace the dB, but I'd rather not if it's avoidable.
rischa, like you I didn't want to do the 1.4 upgrade either.

My original version Kobo was going great guns - no probs at all.

Then one night I turned it on to read in bed (as I do EVERY night) and ... without any prior warning at all ... it had the biggest hissy fit you could possibly imagine.

So, I did that 1.4 upgrade and now I have no issues at all.

I just make sure I turn it off every time I've finished reading in that session, so as to avoid any possible sleep/power off probs which I know some people have experienced with 1.4

Please do the upgrade - you won't be sorry
mamasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:54 PM   #7
rischa

Thanks for the advice, mamasue... if I'm able to I will do the update. As it is at the moment though, I'm not sure that I can even get my Kobo to respond to anything to be able to do it.

As it seems to be stuck in a loop, when I woke this morning the battery is now drained so I have it on charge hoping that tonight I might be able to get it into upgrade mode. If I can, then I will have to work out how to make an SD card because I opened up my Borders app last night (I'm in Aus too) and it didn't have any kind of prompt about any updates at all... not really sure what is going on there!

On the other hand, I've only had the Kobo for 6 months: I'm tempted to take it back to Borders and see if I can get one of the new Sonys instead.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:55 PM   #8
mamasue
Zealot

Could you take it back to a Borders and ask them to reboot it to the factory settings for you?

Mine got stuck in a similar loop I reckon and it drained the battery - sounds like a very similar problem.

I went to the Borders in Melbourne Central, where they were very helpful. They were going to replace it for me if I had wanted them to. The Kobo staff were also very helpful. It didn't matter that the Kobo was flat as a tack and gone troppo!

Any hoo, I hope you get a positive outcome whatever you decide to do.

Last edited by mamasue; 11-11-2010 at 07:57 PM. Reason: to add stuff
Old 11-11-2010, 10:54 PM   #9
rischa

Thanks, I guess I'll just do that then... doesn't seem like anyone else has any suggestions. If the Chadstone Borders gives me any trouble, I'll try Melb Central since you said they were so nice.

:-)
Old 11-12-2010, 01:08 AM   #10
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Thanks, I guess I'll just do that then... doesn't seem like anyone else has any suggestions.
You could always reinstall from SD card. In whatever state, with inserted
card, push the middle button and power button.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:22 AM   #11
mamasue
Zealot

Quote:
I'll try Melb Central since you said they were so nice.
if you do, ask for Andy ... a very nice young man!
Old 11-12-2010, 06:37 AM   #12
rischa

OK well, PeterT can say "I told you so", because I took my Kobo to Borders this evening and they were able to fix it by updating the firmware via SD card. Which is good because as I don't run Linux, it would have taken me a lot longer to figure out how to do that.

So if anyone else experiences this problem, just take it back to the store - they were very helpful as mamasue said!
Old 11-12-2010, 04:39 PM   #13
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Rischa - dude - you need to calm down. I don't think PeterT's 'tone' was condescending at all...it was very matter of fact, sure, but it was good advice. If you ask a question on a forum, you get responses of all sorts - good, bad, indifferent, whatever. Take the all the info you get and process it and appreciate it. Everyone's here to help and share, not to be mean - or to say, "I told you so"...
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote