Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-27-2009, 03:26 AM   #1
orwell
orwell began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
used Kindle one not charging, problem?

Just plugged in a kindle 1, which I just purchased from ebay, and it won't charge via usb. It's not charging via a moto usb wall charger either.
I didn't receive the normal wall charger. Anyways the kindle is not working.
Can someone offer me some advice. Is the kindle best charged via a normal wall charger? Thanks
orwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
The Kindle 1 USB charging only works with the Kindle USB cable, and even then it's an extremely slow trickle charge (nothing like Kindle 2). You need to get the Kindle 1 power cord and charge via that.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2009, 12:15 AM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I've never had luck getting mine to charge well with USB. I always use the wall charger. Amazon still sells them.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:39 AM   #4
Jill75
Zealot
Jill75 doesn't litterJill75 doesn't litter

Device: none
If you dont have the right USB for your Kindle, I guess it wont charge well. It charges better with am original wall charger. If this does not work, then have it check for repair. It may be internal problem.
Jill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:52 AM   #5
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
According to the manual, if everything is off and you let the Kindle 1 charge in the USB port for 24 hours, you might get a full charge. Or not.
The Kindle 1 is designed to be charged from the separate charger, which has a separate plug on the Kindle.

The separate charger is available from Amazon.

(The manual is also available and is free.)
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2009, 08:16 AM   #6
orwell
orwell began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thanks kindle users. It does take around 24 hours to charge via usb. How crappy! Trying to find a charger here.
btw- i'm overseas here.
orwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:20 AM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by orwell View Post
Thanks kindle users. It does take around 24 hours to charge via usb. How crappy! Trying to find a charger here.
btw- i'm overseas here.
If you can find a Palm Zire USB cable it will charge the Kindle via USB in about the same amount of time as the wall charger (2 hours give or take).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:44 PM   #8
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by orwell View Post
btw- i'm overseas here.
24 hrs is obscene, did Kindle 1 really take that long?
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:25 PM   #9
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Via USB, yes. It wasn't "meant" to charge via USB; that was just an afterthought. That's why I has a separate power cord. Kindle 2 is all USB.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:35 AM   #10
Betsy Rice
Betsy Rice began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I bought a used Kindle 1 second hand. Said it was fully funtional, could be charged with he included USB charger (not an original Kindle part). Couls not get a charge, even after 24 hours. Bought a new battery, drained to 1/2 charge in 20 minutes. Tried to charge with USB. Now completely dead again. Is this worth reparing? The pin in the wall charge plug is gone so can't use a wall charger.
Betsy Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:14 PM   #11
wesleyer
Connoisseur
wesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enough

Device: none
If a new battery drained to half in 20 minutes, there seems to be some problem with the device itself.
wesleyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:29 PM   #12
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
I agree: probably something is wrong with the kindle if it drains a battery so quickly. HOWEVER, just to be sure -- did you put lots of books on it all at once? In that case perhaps it is indexing? That does drain the battery more quickly, although maybe not quite so fast. My k1 still charges easily in 2 hours with a year-old battery (wall charger, not usb to computer) and takes several days to start showing a discharge. Remember too that the battery charge image is not linear.

Also, it is true that the K1 was never meant to charge via usb.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:41 PM   #13
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Kindle 1 batteries are dying all over. They must be past their life expectancy. My wife had to install a new one and I've read of a bunch of other people who had to also.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote