Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-02-2013, 01:02 AM   #1
Yamada
Enthusiast
Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad; K1/2/DX; Some Sony thing I bought at Yodobashi
HOLY CRAP! Kobo Glo is awesome!

I got one for my nephew last week, birthday present and all that. He's ten years old, my sister okay'ed the idea and had me set it up for him. What a nice a little device!

I don't know what half the problems with firmware are - stuff just installed and loaded up with no problem. Linux? Pffft, the unit pops up like an external drive and *BAM* - slam all your EPUBs to it like normal backup. Formatting errors? Yeah right, easily rectified in Calibre or the settings in the Glo itself.

And talk about easy to use! Light weight and tightly made; there weren't any creaks or obvious flaws in the casing. I was kind of scared after sending back two Auras, but Rakuten certainly delivered with the Glo.
Yamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:35 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I agree, totally awesome! I love my Glo! Love my mini, too, but the light makes the Glo better. Haven't handled an Aura, but would love to check one out in a store.

SO much easier to manage collections on, than a Kindle!

Last edited by booklover6; 07-03-2013 at 01:04 PM. Reason: spelling
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I'm gifting a Kobo soon and I hope it will be welcomed as well as that Glo. How did your nephew like it?
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Yes, the Kobo Glo is an incredible ebook reader.

I use mine only to read novels (and short stories, of course), and really have no problem whatsoever with their software for the kind of uses I'm using it for.

There have been some reported problems with some of the games and quite a few issues over software choices (changing a few things from one version to the next) but - again - for what I use it for it is (as you say) an awesome reader.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
justywusty
Enthusiast
justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.

Device: kobo touch
agreed. people just like to complain! it's an awesome device.

the complainers should spent more time reading and less time complaining.
justywusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I have nothing but good things to say about my Glo. It's my daily driver out of two Kobos, two Nooks, a tablet PC, and, at last count, 5 android tablets in the last five years. OK, the occasional gripe about firmware bugs, more that they just don't clean up their messes, but most are relatively minor in the day to day core usage as a reader. Really, a nicely designed piece of hardware and overall a 9 out of 10. But, that last 10 points is killin' me!
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:17 AM   #7
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
So I have to ask. Did you keep that Glo and get a second one for your nephew?
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #8
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
I really liked the Glo, but decided to sell it off to offset the cost of a Aura and Mini to use as a secondary device.

IMO, Glo/Aura are currently the best readers on the market.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #9
selina4books
Addict
selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Glo, & Aura HD, KPW, Nook Glow, Nook HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post

I wholeheartedly agree!
selina4books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #10
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post
Yes. Sorry, Amazon, Kobo's got you beat, this round.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:50 AM   #11
sydneycat1999
sydneycat1999 began at the beginning.

Device: Notebook & HP iPAQ 212, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by selina4books View Post
I wholeheartedly agree!
After years of reading e-books first from my phones, then the HP iPaq 212, then the SGT 7.7 I finally got myself a "proper" e-reader. And I have to totally agree, the Kobo Glo is pretty awesome. I can't believe how light it is compared to the "bricks" I've been reading from. And no more straining the eyes that's a plus
sydneycat1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Yes. Sorry, Amazon, Kobo's got you beat, this round.

This seems to go back and forth, which is really beneficial for us - the consumer!

When I want a better light, I use my Kobo. When I want better contrast, I use my Kindlewhite. (Your use may vary, of course.)

Don
Old 07-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
This seems to go back and forth, which is really beneficial for us - the consumer!

When I want a better light, I use my Kobo. When I want better contrast, I use my Kindlewhite. (Your use may vary, of course.)

Don
Well one place where the Kindle Paperwhite wins is definitely in the list of items. Much darker. I mean like the collections list. Much easier to read on the Kindle.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Well one place where the Kindle Paperwhite wins is definitely in the list of items. Much darker. I mean like the collections list. Much easier to read on the Kindle.

That's what I meant by contrast.

Don
Old 07-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #15
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I wonder why they didn't put a glow light in the mini. I'd buy that!
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote