Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-16-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
winding trail
winding trail began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
kindle/library access

just purchased a kindle yesterday, clerk assured me she can download from cdn livraries. local mlibrary says not so as does trac website. can anyone enlighten me. thanks
winding trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:21 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So far I've not seen any of the libraries I access allowing Kindle access yet. I hope you didn't buy a Kindle based on the clerk's misinformation. If you want library eBook access now, you'll have to return the Kindle and get a different reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
petrucci
Groupie
petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Here is a link to a news story that says that Amazon will release a borrowing service later this year.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...kindle-books/1

It mentions the service will be available from 11,000 libraries. Unfortunately, the story also states that the libraries will be in the USA. Hopefully the service will be available in other countries as well.

Edit
You may want to explore http://www.overdrive.com They are the company that is partnering with Amazon on this. They list the Toronto Public Library as one of their partners.

Last edited by petrucci; 07-16-2011 at 03:58 PM.
petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Are there stores in Canada where you can purchase a Kindle? I thought they all came by snail mail from the Amazon store. I'd like to see one and play with it before I buy yet another ereader.

But JSWolf is right, Kindle access to libraries is a future feature, limited, so far, as petrucci noted, to the US of A.

At the present time, the easiest ereader with library access for Canadians to get is the Kobo. You can look at them at Chapters-Indigo stores, although the clerks may be just as clueless as the one you talked to.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:17 PM   #5
thayerwilliams
thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Are there stores in Canada where you can purchase a Kindle? I thought they all came by snail mail from the Amazon store. I'd like to see one and play with it before I buy yet another ereader.
The Source by Circuit City sells them locally and online in BC. I have also seen them in-store at Wal-Mart just over the border in the states, but I don't know if the Canadian outlets are carrying them. Lastly, I have heard that Best Buy stores in Canada are known to carry them, but I can't say for sure.
thayerwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
I have heard that the lending process will be direct, meaning not having to use ADE(which sucks). Not sure if this will be true..

This is good news though- makes the Kindle pretty much perfection IMO.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
A friend over in Connecticut says that her library just started allowing Kindle lending. She hasn't tried it yet, but said that the librarian told her to download some sort of software off of the library website and that she's be able to log onto her library account and download books to her Kindle for 1-2 weeks.

ETA: Scratch that. We've concluded that the librarian was just confused.

Last edited by stickybuns; 07-17-2011 at 02:04 PM.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:23 PM   #8
Dimwit
Connoisseur
Dimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo
Your best bet is to talk to your library directly. Not all devices are the same nor are the libraries. You have some homework to do.
Dimwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:23 PM   #9
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
As it currently stands, your only working option to use library books on your Kindle is to remove the DRM and convert to Mobi format. This requires tools to remove the DRM (google Apprentice Alf, we're not allowed to be more specific here) and then Calibre to convert from ePub to Mobi.

This isn't hard, but does require some effort on your part to get everything set up. Once set up, it's trivial. But even the setup is all GUI and straightforward.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:48 PM   #10
Vic333
Connoisseur
Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I was just going to ask if library epubs could be converted with Calibre (after removal of DRM). It seems like it would work, and it would be the only option right now.
Vic333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:17 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic333 View Post
I was just going to ask if library epubs could be converted with Calibre (after removal of DRM). It seems like it would work, and it would be the only option right now.
Except it's not your book to begin with. What right does anyone have to remove the DRM on books they don't own?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:40 AM   #12
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
Lack of library access is the Achilles's heel of the Kindle until someone wises up and cuts the red tape. The restrictive DRM used by Amazon to lock Kindles out of so many non-Amazonian book sources will eventually bite them in the butt, I hope. And as @tubemonkey points out, those of us who remove the DRM from our book purchases are ethically challenged when we don't own the book, just borrow it. My current solution is to buy a second eReader that likes ePub format. A cheaper solution would be to simply read it on your computer, but this is uncomfortable for long periods of time and I find the tablets too heavy and awkward as well. So Amazon, having forced me to buy an alternate reader has also potentially lost sales, to me, of their eBook offerings, haven't they ... !

So far, I have found everything I have ever wanted either from online sources, or simply checking out the pBook from the library. We have a very good inter-library loan system (small town here) and can get virtually any book available by Overdrive (or other library eSources) in a week or less as a pBook. So while it is frustrating, it is not really a problem unless I simply refuse to hold a pBook in my hands.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:16 AM   #13
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Sorry, I don't see any ethical issue with format shifting a library book. I pay taxes to support that library and enable it to loan books, including eBooks. If I have to remove DRM to use that feature, I'm still well within my ethical comfort zone, provided I don't distribute that eBook beyond my household (same as a pBook), and I delete the book from my Kindle at the end of the loan period.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:57 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Sorry, I don't see any ethical issue with format shifting a library book. I pay taxes to support that library and enable it to loan books, including eBooks. If I have to remove DRM to use that feature, I'm still well within my ethical comfort zone, provided I don't distribute that eBook beyond my household (same as a pBook), and I delete the book from my Kindle at the end of the loan period.
You feel justified. But it's not ethical.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:27 AM   #15
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You feel justified. But it's not ethical.
It's completely ethical. Go look up the concept of "fair use". Many countries (including the USA) allow for time- and format-shifting in their copyright laws.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote