Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 10-08-2009, 08:21 PM   #16
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrell View Post
Could be just me but after installing .02-rc1 the only books I can open are pdf files. Selecting a mobi or fb2 file with a short press does nothing. Long press in madshelf shows me the menu and selecting FBReader, (the only choice even on fb2 files) closes the side menu and goes back to madshelf library display.

<Edit>
I'm an idiot downloaded the wrong file apparently downloaded oi-hanlin-v3ext-install-20091007.tar.bz2 this time and installed it and it works fine so far books open etc.
Thanks for your post darrell. It made me realize I was an idiot too & was trying to use the wrong file (just the opposite of the way you did). I should be using the V3ext variant but was trying to use the V3 variant.

Everything works so much better when you use the correct SW. Laughs on me.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:51 AM   #17
MrZehl
Happy Reader
MrZehl began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
I installed Openinkpot for the first time, after using the liveversion for a while. This version looks very good. Great work. But even great work can cause problems.
Maybe the problems aren't specific for this release, but it's the only one I installed.

First and most important one: I can't get SSH connection with Ubuntu 9.04. My computer doesn't see the device and Openinkpot doesn't show a connection message when I connect it with the USB cable. Since there is no connectionmessage I can't assume it's an Ubuntu problem. I made the changes in /etc/network/interfaces.

Next problem. The menu doesn't show all my files at first. I opened a directory with 4 files. Only one was shown. I browsed to other directories to see I was mistaken about the locations of those books. I browsed back. Still one file. I pressed >. And there where 4 files now. When I browse to an other directory and back to this one there are 4 files. So I can't reproduce this. I don't know how the menu works but something seems not in order with the initial detection of the listing. Minor but weird and unwanted. I like to trust directorylistings.

The menu sometimes is really slow. I press a key and for like ten seconds nothing happens. That so long that I think that the keypress wasn't detected and press again. And again. And then sudednly I openend a book some subdirectories below. Of course not the book I wanted to open.

My main computer is Ubuntu and I don;t have a card reader so I really want SSH to work. My laptop has Windows and a card reader so I can add books that way but I can't rename my fonts dir to .fonts. Windows won't allow it. For windows users it would be nice to allow fonts either in fonts or .fonts. Just a suggestion.

I hope soon I can get SSH to work so I can rename my fonts dir. I love to read my books in the best screen font I found: Calibra.

BTW: I did choose the right firmware: HanlinV3ext.

Last edited by MrZehl; 10-09-2009 at 06:56 AM. Reason: typo
Advert
Old 10-09-2009, 07:08 AM   #18
idle
I Do Like Ebooks
idle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocketbook Ultra 650
What type were the files that you didn't see at first? My guess is that the folder was set to hiding some files (i.e. unsupported files or those you set to be "hidden" yourself) and later it was set to show all. You can switch this in the folder menu (press "0" while in the folder). It doesn't explain why it would switch by itself, though.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:30 AM   #19
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZehl View Post
First and most important one: I can't get SSH connection with Ubuntu 9.04. My computer doesn't see the device and Openinkpot doesn't show a connection message when I connect it with the USB cable. Since there is no connection message I can't assume it's an Ubuntu problem. I made the changes in /etc/network/interfaces.
OpenInkpot does not show a connection message on the book reader screen, but you should see a connection message in a Ubuntu terminal when you SSH to 192.168.111.1 from your 192.168.111.2 USB connection on Ubuntu.

FWIW, I dual boot Ubuntu Jaunty and WinXP, and they both connect to the OpenInkpot release candidate with no problem. In configuring Ubuntu, I just used the GUI tools to set up a static IP connection to OpenInkpot instead of the method described in the User Guide.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:35 AM   #20
MrZehl
Happy Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by idle View Post
What type were the files that you didn't see at first? My guess is that the folder was set to hiding some files (i.e. unsupported files or those you set to be "hidden" yourself) and later it was set to show all. You can switch this in the folder menu (press "0" while in the folder). It doesn't explain why it would switch by itself, though.
The file one file I saw at first and the three I didn't are all the same format: rtf.

EDIT:
I just found another directory which had the same flaw. There are 8 rtf's in the directory. When I opened it I saw only one file on page 2/2. I pressed > for the next page and then the list was reformated as 1 page with all files visible. I think it's the same with the other directory but I just saw one file and didn't look at the page, probably was also page 2/2.
Starnge that it only happens the first time you enter a directory. Is this a caching problem?

EDIT2:
Browsed some folders and the problem seems to be this: When I open a directory always the second page is shown. When there are not enough files to have a page 2, the last file is shown as only file on page 2. Touching back or forward makes the the page reformat to 1 page. Directories with enough files to have more pages filled, show the last page, so 2 or 3. I don't have directories with more files, but I assume it will be always the last.
Of course I want the first page shown by default instead of the last.
Weird is that directories with files that fit on one page are fixed when I pres < or > one time. From then on they always show on one page.

EDIT3:
When I open a directory with a lot of files the last page is shown, I go back to page 1 and leave the directory, I enter the directory again and I'm on page 1.
So it seems that there is a cache somewhere and when opening a directory for the first time it opens the last page of the directory, but at least page 2. When in a directory with to not enough files to have a page 2, the last file of page 1 will show. When going back or forward it only 1 page is shown and the page you're on (page 1) is cached. So the problem will never occur.
So when entering a new directory for the first time (there is no 'last page shown' setting somewhere) jsut show page 1 and the problem will be solved. I guess.

Last edited by MrZehl; 10-09-2009 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Added new info
Advert
Old 10-09-2009, 07:51 AM   #21
MrZehl
Happy Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
FWIW, I dual boot Ubuntu Jaunty and WinXP, and they both connect to the OpenInkpot release candidate with no problem. In configuring Ubuntu, I just used the GUI tools to set up a static IP connection to OpenInkpot instead of the method described in the User Guide.
I never did anything with SSH before. Can you tell me step by step how to setup the connection and how to use it? I would be very grateful.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:08 AM   #22
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I never did anything with SSH before. Can you tell me step by step how to setup the connection and how to use it? I would be very grateful.
I am sorry, I wish that I was capable of doing that!

I am a rank amateur with Linux, and much more comfortable with Windows. Just going from my memory with setting up the OpenInkpot connection Jaunty. When I first connected the e-reader with OpenInkpot on it to a USB connection on the PC running Jaunty, I got a message indicating that new connection that was disconnected. I then used the Connections Icon in my upper status bar to view the disconnected connection. I saw that it was defaulted to a DHCP type of connection, which OpenInkpot does not support. I set the connection type to MANUAL so that I could configure a static IP, and then set my IP address to 192.168.111.2 with a mask of 255.255.255.0. After I applied that configuration, Connections showed that the connection was no longer disconnected. I then opened a terminal and started an SSH connection to root@192.168.111.1 and after credentials were set up I had an SSH connection. The OpenInkpot password for SSH is zxc.

I am sorry that this is not a very good tutorial, but as I said I am a rank amateur with Linux. Windows has a really nice free client for file transfers over SSH called WinSCP, and I really need to find a nice GUI client like that for Linux, since I am a bit of a klutz at the SSH command line.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:31 AM   #23
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Dave, WinSCP works nicely on Ubuntu under Wine.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:41 AM   #24
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
Dave, WinSCP works nicely on Ubuntu under Wine.
Or you could check out SecPanel which is an SSH and SCP gui native for linux. It's a bit old, but I've used it now and then when I can't be bothered to fiddle around with scp on the command line.

SecPanel
Old 10-09-2009, 08:51 AM   #25
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Or you could check out SecPanel which is an SSH and SCP gui native for linux. It's a bit old, but I've used it now and then when I can't be bothered to fiddle around with scp on the command line.

SecPanel
Thank you for the link!

My Ubuntu installation is still pretty plain vanilla, so I do not have Wine on Ubuntu either.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:48 AM   #26
MrZehl
Happy Reader

Quote:
I am sorry, I wish that I was capable of doing that!

I am a rank amateur with Linux, and much more comfortable with Windows. Just going from my memory with setting up the OpenInkpot connection Jaunty. When I first connected the e-reader with OpenInkpot on it to a USB connection on the PC running Jaunty, I got a message indicating that new connection that was disconnected. I then used the Connections Icon in my upper status bar to view the disconnected connection. I saw that it was defaulted to a DHCP type of connection, which OpenInkpot does not support. I set the connection type to MANUAL so that I could configure a static IP, and then set my IP address to 192.168.111.2 with a mask of 255.255.255.0. After I applied that configuration, Connections showed that the connection was no longer disconnected. I then opened a terminal and started an SSH connection to root@192.168.111.1 and after credentials were set up I had an SSH connection. The OpenInkpot password for SSH is zxc.
I removed my changes in /etc/network/interfaces and did it as above. Still no ssh connection. I'll have to go to the Ubuntu Forum for that, I guess.
BTW, what I found while searching is that Nautilus can use ssh, so you can make a bookmark in Nautilus to ssh://root:zxc@192.168.111.1 and manage your files in Nautilus. Well I can't, but when I'll have a connection that's my way to go.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:25 AM   #27
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
I
BTW, what I found while searching is that Nautilus can use ssh, so you can make a bookmark in Nautilus to ssh://root:zxc@192.168.111.1 and manage your files in Nautilus. Well I can't, but when I'll have a connection that's my way to go.
I just tried that, and could not get Nautilus to connect. It seems that it kept trying to make an FTP connection even though I specified SSH. I can easily get an SSH login to OpenInkpot from a terminal though.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:27 PM   #28
MrZehl
Happy Reader

Quote:
I just tried that, and could not get Nautilus to connect. It seems that it kept trying to make an FTP connection even though I specified SSH. I can easily get an SSH login to OpenInkpot from a terminal though.
Well, finally I did it, I can make a connection on the commandline. But indeed sftp doesn't seem to work, so no Nautilus or FileZilla for filetransfer. Bummer.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:41 AM   #29
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
Quote:
Well, finally I did it, I can make a connection on the commandline. But indeed sftp doesn't seem to work, so no Nautilus or FileZilla for filetransfer. Bummer.
I had to use SCP rather than SFTP, though I'm using Windows so I can't comment on how you manage that on linux.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:50 AM   #30
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
I could not get any of the Linux native applications to work as nicely as WinSCP either, so I decided to follow the advice from Moe The Cat. Before doing that I did a lot of searching with Google trying to find a Linux native application that could do the job as nicely as WinSCP, but everywhere I looked the advice seemed to be to just run WinSP in Wine.

I installed Wine and then installed WinSCP in Wine. When finished, WinSCP worked on Linux in Wine just as it does in WinXP. WinSCP has a nice two panel GUI interface that shows the local file system in the left panel and the OpenInkpot file system in the right window. File copying is just a drag and drop operation between the two windows. I have been avoiding installing Wine in Ubuntu, but getting a nice file transfer manager for putting books into OpenInkpot made it worth it for me. It took easily less than 10 minutes to get it all installed and working.