Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 10-18-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook One, PocketBook 360, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Has jffs2 file system "infected" my BeBooks?

As previously reported in other threads on this forum, I have two BeBooks. On one I have variously either of the two Endless Ideas BeBook firmware versions installed, and on the other I have the Open Inkpot evolving jffs2 file system snapshots.

Recently I tried installing the new OI live snapshot on the SD card of my BeBook with the Endless Ideas firmware. The live OI eventually seemed to function OK from the SD card, but I discovered it had apparently rendered inoperative the main storage area for use of my Endless Ideas firmware on the device. I tried reformatting and reloading the Endless Ideas firmware on this device, but could not get it to recognize any titles in the main memory (which my PC revealed were there). I could however access and read titles with the Endless Ideas firmware from my SD card.

I then tried installing the Endless Ideas firmware on my other BeBook, the one on which I had installed the latest OI snapshot. I was successful apparently in installing the Endless Ideas firmware on that other BeBook of mine -- but AGAIN, no titles could be read from the main memory now on this device either. I tried reformatting the main memory, again to no avail.

I am left therefore with the concern that the jffs2 file system currently employed on the OI snapshots has so "infected" my BeBooks that in the future I will only be able to use them for Open Inkpot if I want to store any of my titles in main memory. Very DEVIOUS of its creators to lock users into the OI system in this way! (Am I jesting. I don't know.)
Old 10-18-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
I am left therefore with the concern that the jffs2 file system currently employed on the OI snapshots has so "infected" my BeBooks that in the future I will only be able to use them for Open Inkpot if I want to store any of my titles in main memory. Very DEVIOUS of its creators to lock users into the OI system in this way! (Am I jesting. I don't know.)
You are apparently doing something different than what you described because you got me so curious that I repeated the procedure that you described and wiped out my OpenInkpot installation on my BeBook. I then installed the BeBook firmware and reformatted the internal storage to FAT16. I copied over a folder full of books to the BeBook and then opened one of the books to read. I saw all the books that I copied to the BeBook and was able to open them for reading. So it appears that following the OpenInkpot instructions to restore the factory software works just the way the install instructions say they should.
Advert
Old 10-18-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
You are apparently doing something different than what you described because you got me so curious that I repeated the procedure that you described and wiped out my OpenInkpot installation on my BeBook. I then installed the BeBook firmware and reformatted the internal storage to FAT16. I copied over a folder full of books to the BeBook and then opened one of the books to read. I saw all the books that I copied to the BeBook and was able to open them for reading. So it appears that following the OpenInkpot instructions to restore the factory software works just the way the install instructions say they should.
Gratified to hear from you, in both forums, on this matter. I have been struggling with this in a variety of way late at night and early in the morning.

I'll begin with a brief digression (or query): What "OpenInkpot instructions to restore the factory software" are you referring to. I have just gone into the OI site and can't find anything except how to install Open Inkpot itself -- nothing about "restoring" factory software.

Anyway, I have a number of times on both my BeBooks reformatted the main memory (drive L on my XP) using the Panasonic reformatting application you have recommended in one of the forums in the past. I've done a FULL reformatting, all the bells and whistles. Afterward, I've variously left the BoBook firmware in place that was on the device before reformatting, and also reinstalling the firmware after reformatting. I've in all cases copied a title into the main memory, but the BeBook firmware doesn't recognize it in any instance. If I have a title on the SD card, though, the BeBook will see it and I can read it.

Is there anything in what I've said (and done) above that gives you any further insight? Many, many thanks. Regards, Jim
Old 10-18-2009, 02:23 PM   #4
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
Gratified to hear from you, in both forums, on this matter. I have been struggling with this in a variety of way late at night and early in the morning.

I'll begin with a brief digression (or query): What "OpenInkpot instructions to restore the factory software" are you referring to. I have just gone into the OI site and can't find anything except how to install Open Inkpot itself -- nothing about "restoring" factory software.

Anyway, I have a number of times on both my BeBooks reformatted the main memory (drive L on my XP) using the Panasonic reformatting application you have recommended in one of the forums in the past. I've done a FULL reformatting, all the bells and whistles. Afterward, I've variously left the BoBook firmware in place that was on the device before reformatting, and also reinstalling the firmware after reformatting. I've in all cases copied a title into the main memory, but the BeBook firmware doesn't recognize it in any instance. If I have a title on the SD card, though, the BeBook will see it and I can read it.

Is there anything in what I've said (and done) above that gives you any further insight? Many, many thanks. Regards, Jim
Dave: Just had some success on the BeBook in which I'd reinstalled the latest OI firmware. I reinstalled the Endless Ideas February (Mobipocket) firmware, apparently successfully as it seemed operational after installation and booting. I then hooked up this BeBook to my PC and the main memory this time was on drive K. However, when I sought to copy something to this memory, my XP told me that this drive was unformatted (probably becuase the JFF was on it before. I clicked on the OK for the Windows (not Panasonic) formatting application to perform a full format, which it did. Afterward, I WAS able to install a folder or two which WAS then recognized. So, that takes care of my BeBook in which I had OI installed. I will shortly have a go again with the Bebook which has the EI firmware on it, and on which I do NOT get a message that the main memory needs formatting. But I will reformat it anyway, with the Windows application (only because at this stage it's easier for me and faster). I'll let you know the outcome. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:26 PM   #5
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, I figured your 3 posts on the exact same topic deserved a reply in both of the separate forums that the posts occurred in. That way you would know as soon as possible that you could recover successfully.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenInkpot Installation Instructions
Hanlin v3 and v3ext ¶

BEWARE: Updating to the this version will cause your internal storage for the books to be reformatted, so backup first! The format may take up to 10 minutes during the first boot, so be patient. Reverting back to the original firmware will require reformatting the partition back — just attach the device to PC after reflashing, and format disk to FAT.
It was also mentioned in this forum a few days ago that the live version would also format the internal storage as jffs2, so the recovery from that would also require reformatting the BeBook internal storage. The ticket concerning the live version formatting the internal storage was identified as ticket #550. It looks like that ticket has been recently closed, so possibly it is no longer an issue?

Quote:
Anyway, I have a number of times on both my BeBooks reformatted the main memory (drive L on my XP) using the Panasonic reformatting application you have recommended in one of the forums in the past.
That is correct, I have recommended the SD card formatting utility provided at sdcard.org for formatting SD cards, and I still do. It may even be adequate for formatting the BeBook internal storage, but the Windows XP formatting utility proved adequate in recovering from the jffs2 format. It is really slow over a USB1.1 connection but it did get the job done.

Quote:
I've done a FULL reformatting, all the bells and whistles. Afterward, I've variously left the BoBook firmware in place that was on the device before reformatting, and also reinstalling the firmware after reformatting. I've in all cases copied a title into the main memory, but the BeBook firmware doesn't recognize it in any instance.
I can not explain that because that is not what happens when I tried it in response to your postings. I was curious enough to waste about 20 minutes on recreating the situation, but everything works fine for a whole folder full of books. The folder and the books appeared correctly in the BeBook firmware after I formatted the internal storage FAT16 and copied the folder full of books.

I have OpenInkpot reinstalled on my BeBook now, and it is working fine again.
Advert
Old 10-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #6
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Dave: Just had some success on the BeBook in which I'd reinstalled the latest OI firmware. I reinstalled the Endless Ideas February (Mobipocket) firmware, apparently successfully as it seemed operational after installation and booting. I then hooked up this BeBook to my PC and the main memory this time was on drive K. However, when I sought to copy something to this memory, my XP told me that this drive was unformatted (probably becuase the JFF was on it before. I clicked on the OK for the Windows (not Panasonic) formatting application to perform a full format, which it did. Afterward, I WAS able to install a folder or two which WAS then recognized. So, that takes care of my BeBook in which I had OI installed. I will shortly have a go again with the Bebook which has the EI firmware on it, and on which I do NOT get a message that the main memory needs formatting. But I will reformat it anyway, with the Windows application (only because at this stage it's easier for me and faster). I'll let you know the outcome. Thanks.

Ahhhh, so the wrong drive letter got reformatted the first time?????

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you are getting it straightened out.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:44 PM   #7
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Ahhhh, so the wrong drive letter got reformatted the first time?????

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you are getting it straightened out.
Well, I'm not so successful on my other BeBook, the one in which I had the EI Mobipocket firmware in the main and the OI live version on the SD. I've reformatted, but the titles still won't be recognized (although they do show up on the PC drive). I think, based upon your experience and my most recent success, that I'll install OI on this recalcitrant BeBook, then install the EI firmware over it, and THEN reformat the main memory! What fun!
Old 10-18-2009, 03:08 PM   #8
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
Well, I'm not so successful on my other BeBook, the one in which I had the EI Mobipocket firmware in the main and the OI live version on the SD. I've reformatted, but the titles still won't be recognized (although they do show up on the PC drive). I think, based upon your experience and my most recent success, that I'll install OI on this recalcitrant BeBook, then install the EI firmware over it, and THEN reformat the main memory! What fun!
OK, Dave. THAT'S the way to do it! Whether you are reinstalling the original Endless Ideas firmware after you've either had Open Inkpot on your main system, or been using the live version of OI from the SD card, you need to -- as you pointed out --reformat the main memory from JFFS2 back to Fat 16. This was indeed in the OI instructions (as you also brought to my attention) but it was relatively "buried" and I obviously hadn't noticed it. If I had, it would have saved me hours of time and grief -- and your time and concern as well. Again, many thanks, for rescuing me once again.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:16 PM   #9
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Again, many thanks, for rescuing me once again.
Hopefully, all is well thant ends well.

I'm glad that you have everything back the way that you want again!!