Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-28-2011, 02:45 AM   #1
terrypin
Connoisseur
terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: iPAQ 2210 PPC
iPad Kindle app - latest update?

I see that the summary of the latest update for the Kindle app on my iPad says "Removes Kindle Store button..."

Why would I want that? Seems a retrograde step, but maybe I've misunderstood?

--
Terry, UK
terrypin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:08 AM   #2
markreidyhp
markreidyhp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 [3g]
Apple require it. You now have to go to safari manually.

Apple are no longer allowing apps their own stores within apps. They have to go through apple and let apple take 30%, or go this way.

You will eventually need to upgrade, so it makes no difference.
markreidyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2011, 04:47 AM   #3
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
I commented on that in the Apple Devices forum this morning.

There is a work-around:

Use your current Amazon app one more time to access the Kindle Store button. It actually just launches Safari and takes you directly to the store and to your account. While in Safari, you can add the bookmark to your iPad Home Screen. Once you have upgraded the Amazon app, to go to the Kindle Store and your account, just tap on the bookmark.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:50 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
You will eventually need to upgrade, so it makes no difference.
Will Apple actually force you to update the app on your iPad at some point?
I only ask because the original 1.0-beta program is still perfectly functional on the PC.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
markreidyhp
markreidyhp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 [3g]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Will Apple actually force you to update the app on your iPad at some point?
I only ask because the original 1.0-beta program is still perfectly functional on the PC.
I could imagine Amazon forcing people to update to download newer books with stronger drm, and some problem may one day manifest itself which will require an update.

Besides that, the little red 1 is annoying as hell ;-)
markreidyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2011, 02:08 AM   #6
terrypin
Connoisseur
terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: iPAQ 2210 PPC
Thanks all. Duly placed bookmark conveniently on iPad home screen. Maybe if/when some significant improvement is introduced, I'll update.

--
Terry, UK
terrypin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:43 AM   #7
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
This whole 'lost the button" really didn't bother me all that much. What bothers me more about the whole process was the need to create another icon on my iPad's home screen. Then, having to leave the Kindle app to buy a book, should I need to browse the store.

Yeah, I know, what a hardship! But, it's the principle of the thing!

So, I create a .mobi book with web links to the Amazon home page, the Kindle store, and to the e-books, magazines and newspaper stores. I created it in Word, saved it as html, put it in Calibre and then converted it to mobi (with my own cute little cover, even!).

I then used Dropbox to "Open In..." the mobi book in my Kindle (my Calibre library is on Dropbox ... but you could always just e-mail yourself the book and use "Open In..." that way). Or use iTunes...

So, now the book is on my Kindle app's Home page. When I open it, I am presented with the web links. I press one and the Kindle's web browser opens. I can browse all day long or purchase books. When I am finished, I press the blue Done button and am returned to the Kindle app/my mobi "book."

Much better than putting yet another icon on my already crowded iPad home screen and constantly having to switch between the Kindle and Safari apps. As usual and as always, YMMV.

Marilyn

P.S. If you want a copy of my book (it's free!) - PM me and I'll provide you a link to it within my Dropbox's public folder.
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote