Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-15-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
t3l01v
Enthusiast
t3l01v began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
What is CM7?

Hi all.
I thought it might be a good idea to have some of you more seasoned vets explain what CM7 is, what it can do for you, and share a couple of links. Not that, I mean, I'm asking... I mean, everyone knows, right? So this is just uhh... for those people who may find these forums on Google, and not know what CM7 is. Yea, that's it.

Thanks! Last time I rooted my device was with Auto-Nooter and while it's very neat, I find that I don't use it as a tablet as much as I initially thought it would. What could CM7 do for me? I read about it a lot in these threads, but nothing dumbed down enough for me to comprehend.
t3l01v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
CM7 is an acronym for Cyanogen Mod 7, an open source Android firmware project. It's been ported to a number of devices, including the NookColor.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
What could CM7 do for me? I read about it a lot in these threads, but nothing dumbed down enough for me to comprehend.
Well in simple terms I think you will find the majority of the people here are like me. I put the files to run CM7 on a microSD card. When that card is in my nook color and I start it up, it boots up as an Android Tablet. Then I can buy apps from the Google Android Market (including Kindle and Kobo etc etc), get apps from the Amazon Android Market, play Angry Birds, now play Netflix movies ... most things that other Android Tablets can do.

When I remove the micro sd card from my nook color and restart it, it boots up as a regular Barnes and Noble nook color running the new firmware 1.2.

So my interest in it was as a best of both worlds kind of thing. Plus, it helps to retain my warranty since my nook color is fairly new.

I have seen some others who have installed CM7 on the nook color device itself.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:20 AM   #4
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Part of that "some others" would be me. After all the reports of B&N 1.2 being, shall we say, less than desired, I installed CM7 direct to emmc. The NOOK for Android app gives me all the B&N functionality I need, and CM7 is blazing fast (compared to SD) when installed internally.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:45 AM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtriever View Post
Part of that "some others" would be me. After all the reports of B&N 1.2 being, shall we say, less than desired, I installed CM7 direct to emmc. The NOOK for Android app gives me all the B&N functionality I need, and CM7 is blazing fast (compared to SD) when installed internally.
I finally concur after holding on to stock due to the magazines. Now that the NOOK app supports magazines (same NOOKcolor functionality) and is better than the stock reader in some people's opinions, many have made the switch to CM7 internal. When you do so, you feel like you bought a new tablet. Just getting rid of Button Savior or Soft Keys (for some) and that black menu bar/strip at the bottom gives you the sense that you made the right decision.

Last edited by SCION; 05-16-2011 at 06:48 AM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2011, 08:22 AM   #6
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
maybe I'll get really brave someday and try it.

I just keep thinking that Barnes and Noble must have big plans for the nook color platform ... someday.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
Apoc
Connoisseur
Apoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookC with CM7 (eMMC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
maybe I'll get really brave someday and try it.
I'm with those "some others" too. Before I took the plunge I backed everything up just in case I wasn't happy and wanted to go back. I went back once just to apply the 1.2 update and see how things were. I returned to CM7 immediately. The fact that you cannot actually brick a nook unless you get very creative makes the decision to run CM7 internally a non-issue for many. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #8
noaxis2
Enthusiast
noaxis2 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color (rooted w/autonooter)
Installing CM7 is sort of like installing an operating system. When it boots up, there will be CM7 logo then a "desktop" with icons like a Windows or Mac computer.

I installed CM7 weekend before last after messing up my Nook trying to edit the build.prop file in hopes of not getting an update and messing up my autonooter. It's awesome! I use Firefox, TweetDeck...even Netflix if you're willing to muck around in the files. If you use an SD card, try to get the Sandisk class 4 cards. I used a Kingston first because that's what I already had and CM7 ran slow as molasses. I found the Sandisk 16 GB card at Radio Shack and now it's zippy!

Since the Nook app works with CM7, I guess I could really just install on the internal memory...will have to wait for another block of free time for that!

Good luck! Good instructions are here and here. There are also YouTube videos that walk you through the process.
noaxis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:19 PM   #9
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
All the resources I used to figure all this stuff out are in the link in my sig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Now that the NOOK app supports magazines...
Whaaat When did that happen?
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:28 PM   #10
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
All the resources I used to figure all this stuff out are in the link in my sig.

Whaaat When did that happen?
May 12th.

Quote:
*Newspapers and magazines only available on high resolution Android Tablets

Last edited by SCION; 05-16-2011 at 06:30 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote