Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-06-2010, 03:02 PM   #1
LakeLoon
Wanderer
LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
Moisture-resistant DIY Kindle Sleeve

While I like the standard Amazon cover I bought for my K3, I decided to make another one for travel. This design is lighter (at 2.4 oz, less than half the weight), reasonably strong and durable, protects against dust and moisture, and (most importantly) can be decorated however I like!

Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle cover front 1.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	60734 Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle cover open 1.JPG
Views:	426
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	60735 Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle cover wet 1.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	60736

The sleeve consists of several layers. The innermost layer is a felt liner, then a poly plastic folder held together with duct tape, then a Tyvek envelope painted with several coats of artist's acrylics, and finally an outer layer of clear vinyl "contact"/shelving paper. I spent less than $5 on materials, but I had some of the stuff on hand already.

One of the design goals was to make something moderately protective against water. Making a sleeve that could be fully immersed seemed too ambitious, but one that could survive a coffee spill or light rain seemed potentially feasible. The flap is folded over itself and held in place with velcro, forming a crease that seals the opening. I tested the case in the shower, using a Kindle-shaped piece of foamboard covered with a paper towel. After five minutes in the spray, being turned in various orientations, the paper towel was still bone dry!

Honestly, I was kinda skeptical this would work, but it did. Still, I'm sure I'll put the case in a ziploc bag for extra insurance when water is really a concern.
LakeLoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Very creative! The design is lovely. What does it symbolize?
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 04:54 PM   #3
LakeLoon
Wanderer
LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
Thank you! It's really just a doodle, vaguely inspired by Inuit designs and calligraphy. I sort of had the idea of a bird under a setting sun, but I was going for abstract, not representational.
LakeLoon is offline   Reply With Quote