Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-01-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
More questions on Metadata

I have placed the following Meta Data line into a PG HTML file by taking info from elsewhere in the PG file.

Code:
<head>
<meta name="Producer" content="Nick Hodson of London, England" />
</head>
This is another Data Item not picked up by the Sigil Meta Data Editor. All other data lines are picked up.

If I go to the the advanced menu and select Producer and enter the data everything seems fine. The following is the entry from the Sigil OPF.

Code:
dc:contributor opf:role="pro" opf:file-as="Nick Hodson of London, England">England Nick Hodson of London</dc:contributor>
However, when the book is opened in the Calibre Reader and Info is selected, the field for Producer says "None."

Is there something wrong with my entry or, as I suspect, is this a Calibre problem?

Its a real hassle using winRAR to check the OPF. A OPF editor would be very nice. This would not have to allow changes but could be read only. It would allow one to see what is really going on in the output.

Last edited by crutledge; 10-01-2010 at 02:48 PM.
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
I have placed the following Meta Data line into a PG HTML file by taking info from elsewhere in the PG file.

Code:
<head>
<meta name="Producer" content="Nick Hodson of London, England" />
</head>
This is another Data Item not picked up by the Sigil Meta Data Editor. All other data lines are picked up.

If I go to the the advanced menu and select Producer and enter the data everything seems fine. The following is the entry from the Sigil OPF.

Code:
dc:contributor opf:role="pro" opf:file-as="Nick Hodson of London, England">England Nick Hodson of London</dc:contributor>
However, when the book is opened in the Calibre Reader and Info is selected, the field for Producer says "None."

Is there something wrong with my entry or, as I suspect, is this a Calibre problem?

Its a real hassle using winRAR to check the OPF. A OPF editor would be very nice. This would not have to allow changes but could be read only. It would allow one to see what is really going on in the output.
Try this standalone tool https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=179
or use it fro Calibre: Type "T" with the book selected. Remember to use a Text editor like Notepad++ and not Word(pad) to make changes, the pack-it back up
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

Actually you can include the dc. and dcterms. meta data right into your html.

So please try one of the following (I forget which works anymore)

<head>
<meta name="dc.contributor.Producer" content="Nick Hodson of London, England" />
</head>

<head>
<meta name="dcterms.Producer" content="Nick Hodson of London, England" />
</head>

Anyway, something here will work. There is support for the dc. and dcterms. namespace to be properly interpreted and stored by Sigil when presented in meta tags right in the html. I helped contribute support for it a long time back (with huge amounts of help from Valloric).

If you search Metadata in this forum (or my username KevinH) you should find a discussion of what was added, the forms it accepts, and hopefully when I get some more free time, some additional things to hopefully contribute to Valloric down the line.

KevinH
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:24 PM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi,

Actually, I think we need to use the official 3 letter relator codes to make this work

For "Producer" the proper 3 letter relator code is "pro", so something like this should work:

<head>
<meta name="dc.contributor.pro" content="Nick Hodson of London, England" />
</head>

<head>
<meta name="dcterms.contributor.pro" content="Nick Hodson of London, England" />
</head>

should actually work.

You can find a full set of the dc. relator codes on the Sigil website by browsing the source code or by simply searching on the web.

Hope this helps,

Kevin
Old 10-01-2010, 04:40 PM   #5
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Actually you can include the dc. and dcterms. meta data right into your html.
Please hang with me here.

Extract from WIKI:
Code:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;" />
<title>MyBookTitle</title>
<meta name="DCTERMS.title" content="MyBookTitle" />
<meta name="DCTERMS.language" content="en-US" scheme="DCTERMS.RFC4646" />
<meta name="DCTERMS.source" content="http://xml.openoffice.org/odf2xhtml" />
<meta name="DCTERMS.issued" content="TimeOf Creation eg:2006-05-25T16:53:56" scheme="DCTERMS.W3CDTF"/>
<meta name="DCTERMS.creator" content="Author's Name"/>
<meta name="DCTERMS.contributor" content="Other Contributor's Name" />
<meta name="DCTERMS.modified" content="Last Modified eg:2010-02-06T13:28:08.71" scheme="DCTERMS.W3CDTF"/>
<meta name="DCTERMS.provenance" content="Your ISBN Number" />
<meta name="DCTERMS.subject" content="What book is about" />
<link rel="schema.DC" href="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" hreflang="en" />
<link rel="schema.DCTERMS" href="http://purl.org/dc/terms/" hreflang="en" />
<link rel="schema.DCTYPE" href="http://purl.org/dc/dcmitype/" hreflang="en" />
<link rel="schema.DCAM" href="http://purl.org/dc/dcam/" hreflang="en" />
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="ebook.css" />
<base href="." />
This tells me that I should be able to use any of the terms in the Meta Data editor, e.g. producer using
Code:
<meta name="DCTERMS.whatever" content="Fill in the blank" />
Do you recommend this format? If so, I will convert to it and see if it follows through to Calibre.

What about the <link rel ... and <base href="."
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Book producer in OPF is

<dc:contributor opf:role="bkp">name</dc:contributor>
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:14 PM   #7
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Hi,

You wrote:

> This tells me that I should be able to use any of the terms in the Meta Data
> editor, e.g. producer using
> Code:
> <meta name="DCTERMS.whatever" content="Fill in the blank" />

Pretty much. Sigil also understands what the DC website calls "refinements" (adding an additional . followed by the refinement.

So something like

<head>
<meta name="dcterms.contributor.bkp" content="Nick Hodson of London, England" />
</head>

should work for Book Producer (Kovid nicely pointed out!)

> What about the <link rel ... and <base href="."

Sigil will ignore all of that in the html since an ebook may not be able to access the internet when it is read, I just went with a simple dc. and dc.terms mapping to try and allow for pure html to completely specify everything needed for an epub ebook.

See this thread on in this forum for a more complete list of what is recognized by Sigil in html (and properly put into the opf).

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...094#post711094

I have no idea whether the exact same thing works in Calibre but as good as that product is, I assume they support some form of the Dublin Core dc. or dcterms.

Hope this helps,

KevinH
Old 10-02-2010, 07:26 AM   #8
crutledge
eBook FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I have no idea whether the exact same thing works in Calibre but as good as that product is, I assume they support some form of the Dublin Core dc. or dcterms.

Hope this helps,

KevinH
I don't know how I missed all the discussion on Meta Data but I did. I have been struggling through DC specs and getting more and more confused. The thread was educational and I will continue to follow. Many thanks.

I spend my time formatting PG files and believe that everyone contributing to the production of the eBook should get credit. I now have a set of meta data statements that allows me to do this.

I also have to cancel Sigil Issue 604 which was submitted without full appreciation of the situation.

Many thanks to you and Kovid.

Charlie
Old 10-04-2010, 12:01 PM   #9
crutledge
eBook FANatic

FlightCrew

I ran a Sigil file through FlightCrew and received the following report:

Quote:
Philosopher Jack.epub/OEBPS/content.opf:14:The <date> element's value is "", which is not a valid date format.
I looked in the OPF and found:
Code:
14:<dc:date opf:event="publication"></dc:date>
I found no other entry for date in the OPF.

In the Sigil code:
Code:
<head>
<meta content="10/4/2010" name="dcterms.date of publication" />
</head>
This displays in the Meta Data editor in the same format entered by the editor.

And in the HTML:
Code:
<meta name="dcterms.date of publication" content="10/4/2010" />
And yet, the date displays in the Calibre Viewer.

I have tried other formats from the Meta Data thread to no avail. Will someone point me to either the proper Meta statement or Date format and I can smile at having a fully correct ePub file.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:08 PM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
The date has to be in the format:

YYYY[-MM[-DD]]

Meaning the year goes first and is compulsory, with 4 digits. The month is optional, with two digits, and separated with a hyphen. The day is also optional (but you have to specify the month too), with two digits and hypen as well. So try entering "2010-10-04" in the date.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:02 PM   #11
crutledge
eBook FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
The date has to be in the format:

YYYY[-MM[-DD]]

Meaning the year goes first and is compulsory, with 4 digits. The month is optional, with two digits, and separated with a hyphen. The day is also optional (but you have to specify the month too), with two digits and hypen as well. So try entering "2010-10-04" in the date.
Passed FlightCrew with no comments. This is not the format that the Meta Data editor inserts.

Thank you.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:58 PM   #12
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Passed FlightCrew with no comments. This is not the format that the Meta Data editor inserts.
That would be the format that the Meta Editor inserts in the OPF.

The problem was that you the incorrect format in the meta tag, and it wasn't being loaded correctly.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:10 PM   #13
crutledge
eBook FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
That would be the format that the Meta Editor inserts in the OPF.

The problem was that you the incorrect format in the meta tag, and it wasn't being loaded correctly.
FlightCrew (where did you get the name?) needs a "Process Complete" message.

Something like:

Congratulations, Charlie!
You have just built a Perfect ePub file.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:19 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
FlightCrew (where did you get the name?) needs a "Process Complete" message.

Something like:

Congratulations, Charlie!
You have just built a Perfect ePub file.

I suggested something simpler to let me know the run completed without errors being found.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:11 AM   #15
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I agree, there should be something like "no errors found". Add the request to the FC tracker.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote