Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-29-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
janowskima
janowskima began at the beginning.

Device: Android 4.0
Saving books WITHOUT the folder structure

Hey.

I have read that the folder structure can't, and won't, be changed; I am asking a different question. Can you set calibre to save the books in ONE folder rather than having all books in seperate folders, depending on their author? For some reasons I'd prefer them to be stored this way (easier to auto sync with my sd card; don't want to sync by calibre).
janowskima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by janowskima View Post
Hey.

I have read that the folder structure can't, and won't, be changed; I am asking a different question. Can you set calibre to save the books in ONE folder rather than having all books in seperate folders, depending on their author? For some reasons I'd prefer them to be stored this way (easier to auto sync with my sd card; don't want to sync by calibre).
Do you know what the word structure means?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2013, 09:23 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by janowskima View Post
Calibre's internal folder structure is not user configurable.

You can however use the Save to disk feature (by adjusting its template) to create the exact folder structure you desire external to calibre.

Alternatively you could use the Connect to folder feature (by adjusting its template) to create this exact structure on your SD card.

If your SD card is in the device you can also use the Send to device feature (by adjusting its template) to create this structure on your SD card.

Currently I have no idea what you are actually trying to accomplish.

BTW auto-syncing calibre's directory structure to your SD card bypasses calibre's built in system of writing the metadata (cover, author, tags, series etc...) to the book. This means your SD card most likely will have a lot of books that do not have the same nice metadata you worked so hard to ensure was correct in calibre. The methods I outlined above do update the metadata.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-29-2013 at 09:27 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:20 PM   #4
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
You can easily change the templates used by the Save To Disk or the Send To Device features to save all books together in the same folder. No problem.

The books I want to have on my Android device I first save to a folder on my NAS. I connect to that folder as a device so I can easily add, update and remove books as needed, whenever I want to, without having to fetch or connect my Xoom.

Then on my Xoom I run the app FolderSync to automatically sync a local folder to the folder on the NAS, over wifi. I have set FolderSync to attempt to sync every hour, but only if my Xoom is charging. Works great. Can also force an immediate sync, of course. But usually I have my Xoom charging while I am on my desktop computer. When I get to the Xoom afterwards it has already synced. Nice! I still have to run an import and update the books in my reading app, Mantano Premium. But only changed books have to be updated.

I don't save all books to one folder, but to folders loosely based on #genre. Fiction/SciFi, Fiction/Thriller, Fiction/Historical, Nonfiction/C++, Nonfiction/History and so on. Makes it easy to import and update the collections in Mantano. But all Fiction/SciFi books, for instance, are in the same folder, no separate folders for authors.

This way I have the books fully updated from calibre, with the latest metadata. But I can use the automatic sync features using a separate sync app, and not have to connect to my Xoom directly from calibre. My Xoom can stay connected to the charger in another room on another floor in the house, while I fiddle with calibre on the desktop computer.

Instead of a folder on a NAS, you could use a local folder on your computer that you share using wifi. You just have to keep the computer running for a while, to give FolderSync enough time to sync now and then.

Last edited by Adoby; 10-29-2013 at 11:59 PM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote