Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2012, 08:12 PM   #31
Big Mack
Enthusiast
Big Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of light

Device: iPod Touch 4; iPhone 4; Kobo Touch; Kobo Glo
I formatted it first on the Mac - only one option for FAT.
Then on a PC - FAT32.
Always through the Kobo. Should i format it through my BB?

Last edited by Big Mack; 10-07-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Big Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:02 AM   #32
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Never do do it through the Kobo - that may be the issue. I'd try using the BB to format, then pop it back into the Kobo.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #33
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
Never do do it through the Kobo - that may be the issue. I'd try using the BB to format, then pop it back into the Kobo.
Seeing as the computer is the one controlling the format, I fail to see what logic is behind not formating the sd card while its inserted in the Kobo. The only thing that comes to mind is a fluctuations in the voltage causing issues. Would you Care to elaborate as to your suggestion of never formating while in the kobo? I am curious about the logic and reasoning behind this.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #34
Big Mack
Enthusiast
Big Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of light

I formatted in the BB. I received a couple of errors at first (in Calibre), but after that i've been able to use it. However, i have been getting my spontaneous reboot issue again. I'm visiting in-laws tonight - i'll see if they have an SD reader on their laptops (my MBP is a 2008-09, so has no SD drive).
Old 10-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #35
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
I formated my SD card using an external card reader, tried all the shelves stuff automatic formating in Calibre and send my books back ton my card via calibre. Now, I'll have to read a bit to know if the bug is fixed or not. I'll let you know
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #36
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Seeing as the computer is the one controlling the format, I fail to see what logic is behind not formating the sd card while its inserted in the Kobo. The only thing that comes to mind is a fluctuations in the voltage causing issues. Would you Care to elaborate as to your suggestion of never formating while in the kobo? I am curious about the logic and reasoning behind this.

regards

Jack
I don't trust the card readers in ereaders or most other entertainment devices, due to fluctuations in voltage, odd driver problems, or cheap construction. I've never seen a format go right using one - the only times they work without a hitch, in my experience, is if you've got it plugged directly into the computer with a single USB-to-whatever adapter, or on a device with native MicroSD/SD slots. I don't know if the SD reader in the Kobo uses all the pins correctly - it may not use all the data pins, or the command line pin, as an example.

Basically, it may read things okay, but won't be fully functional. If I want to do anything complex to a card, I use a good reader or USB adapter which fully supports the specs of the memory card.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #37
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

so just formating the SD card is not enough the bug still occurs with or without the light on , I'll go through a factory reset, at least, I'll try it
Old 10-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #38
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
I think the bug is a) not related to the Glo but to the 2.1.4 firmware and therefore b) software related and has nothing to do with the formatting of the SD card.
I think so since the same happens on Kobo Touch with 2.1.4, and exactly the same SD card worked fine with all former firmwares for the KT.
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #39
Big Mack
Enthusiast

I was able to format the card on an in-law's laptop. Everything works fine now.
I will admit that the issue was all my own doing - it was working fine before but i thought i'd format it through the KG (when i technically didn't have to).

Guess Kindle doesn't have this problem as they do not allow expansion via SD cards...
Old 10-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #40
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mack View Post
Guess Kindle doesn't have this problem as they do not allow expansion via SD cards...
heh
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #41
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
I don't trust the card readers in ereaders or most other entertainment devices, due to fluctuations in voltage, odd driver problems, or cheap construction. I've never seen a format go right using one - the only times they work without a hitch, in my experience, is if you've got it plugged directly into the computer with a single USB-to-whatever adapter, or on a device with native MicroSD/SD slots. I don't know if the SD reader in the Kobo uses all the pins correctly - it may not use all the data pins, or the command line pin, as an example.

Basically, it may read things okay, but won't be fully functional. If I want to do anything complex to a card, I use a good reader or USB adapter which fully supports the specs of the memory card.
Thats a valid reasoning. And I appreceate your expanding on the suggestion and as to why. I wonder if Kobo Development would care to add some input as well as this particular thought line?

Thanks for taking the time.

REgards, Jack
Old 10-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #42
vice-versa
whippet addict

after a factory reset and formating of the SD card, same problem still occurs
Old 10-09-2012, 12:46 AM   #43
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
What did fix it, on both cards, was reformatting the cards (fat32). After reformatting the cards I did a sync without the cards, inserted the card, and then transferred my books (I used calibre and transferred my 32 books in two batches).

I am confident enough to recommend trying this. How to prevent it from happening, is another issue. From what I can tell, using a new sd card, or a freshly formatted sd card, should work, Pulling a card from my older reader and inserting it into the Glo did not, but that may have been an anomaly.
I've now tried 8 different micro-SD cards with my Kobo Touch. For three of them, I can say they worked with the 2.1.1 firmware prior to the upgrade. The others came out of my video camera, a Nokia phone, two recently purchased for a project and not yet used and my junk box (including one out of Kobo Wireless when I was playing with increasing it's internal memory size. The sizes varied from 1GB to 16 GB. The SDHC cards varied from class 4 to class 10.

For the testing I used two KTs and copied 100 books to the SD card. What I can now say is that formatting the card (using the SD Card Association formatter and Windows 7 formatter) in a microSD=>SD adapter, a Lexar USB microSD reader and in the KTs had no effect on the restart issue. Doing a factory reset and going through the re-upload of the firmware has no effect on the restart issue either when inserting an SD card with the books already loaded or copying the books after the reset. Copying the files on the PC/SD reader and then inserting the card has the same results as copying the files to the SD card when it was inserted in the KT. Copying from the command line, GUI or using Calibre had no effect. Copying the books in small batches or one large batch had no effect.

Since my sister and family are heading back home, I left her KT on 2.1.4 and she will not use her SD card until a fix is out. I reverted mine back to 2.1.1 and will live with it's various failings until a fix is out since I need more than the 1.2Gb available on the internal storage.

The sad part is that this Thanksgiving weekend playing with multiple KTs was actually fun for me. I watched some sports (Go, Lions!) but avoided most of the political discussion which my family tends to love -- political arguments should be reserved for cold winter days when they keep the blood warm.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 10-09-2012 at 12:47 AM. Reason: fat fingered typos ... again.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:36 AM   #44
Big Mack
Enthusiast

Hi David - that is interesting - i haven't even thought about trying it on my KT on 2.1.4. I figured it is the Glo, but its sounding like a 2.1.4 issue.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:42 AM   #45
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mack View Post
Hi David - that is interesting - i haven't even thought about trying it on my KT on 2.1.4. I figured it is the Glo, but its sounding like a 2.1.4 issue.
Same here, I have focused all my attention on my KG. Never thought to check the Touch, My father has a touch but currently his version does not allow update to 2.1.4 as yet.

Regards

Jack