Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-20-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Keep Reading vs Manage Books

I really like the option to keep reading or manage books in the new firmware update, but have one query. Is there an easy way to "force" the Manage Books option when I plug in the USB cable? It defaults to Reading mode and I have to unplug and replug the USB cable to get the screen to opt into Manage Library mode. Not terribly annoying but if there is a way I'd be interested.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Not as far as I know, CazMar. This doesn't seem to happen all of the time, but I haven't paid enough attention to know if it, for example, happens when a book is open, but not when I am on the "I'm reading" menu or if it happens when the reader is turned off when I plug in the USB cable.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Ya I guess it can be anoying but I really really like the "keep reading'' function because I can take out a ton of library books, and charge using keep reading, so I can keep them longer until I'm finished

Last edited by The Terminator; 01-22-2011 at 12:27 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:58 PM   #4
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
It's OK as my MP3 player behaves in exactly the same way! I was just a bit worried that the "unplug & replug" method was not the correct way of going into Manage Library. And yes, I do like being able to continue reading even when re-charging.
Thanks for comments - you can always rely on the Mobile Read people!
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:13 PM   #5
RonH
RonH began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by CazMar View Post
I really like the option to keep reading or manage books in the new firmware update, but have one query. Is there an easy way to "force" the Manage Books option when I plug in the USB cable? It defaults to Reading mode and I have to unplug and replug the USB cable to get the screen to opt into Manage Library mode. Not terribly annoying but if there is a way I'd be interested.
Perhaps I don't understand the problem, but on my original Kobo which has been upgraded, I just have to press the next page button to move the highlight from the Reading mode to the Manage mode. Then if I press the center of the microswitch, it activates the Manage mode. I wasn't even aware that one could change modes by unplugging and replugging the USB port.
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2011, 02:05 AM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Hi Ron. I think you are misunderstanding the issue. I believe CazMar wanted it to default to Manage mode--without the necessity of making a choice.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #7
razmichael
razmichael doesn't litterrazmichael doesn't litter

Device: Kobo WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CazMar View Post
I was just a bit worried that the "unplug & replug" method was not the correct way of going into Manage Library
I'm with Ron in my (mis) understanding of the issue - Perhaps Cazmar can explain. When I read the original posting my first thought was that either Cazmar was not aware that you select the mode once the USB is connected or there was a problem with his Kobo. Why do you need to unplug and replug (unless you have already selected the Reading mode and want to change to manage mode - then you need to unplug and essentially start again.
razmichael is offline   Reply With Quote