Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-18-2010, 08:33 PM   #16
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I have a couple of books from B&N that are just sitting here until I learn to strip DRM. I ordered them just to experience the process, and now I'm through buying DRMed stuff from them.

I've also decided that stripping DRM is probably more trouble than I care to invest. I've done the google search and found info, programs, etc., but it all still seems to require a level of computer expertise that I lack. I need something like: Start program, load book, press "clean" and get non-DRMed book. When the instructions start with "run this script...." I'm lost.

Oh, well...there's still lots of non-DRMed stuff to choose from!
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:53 PM   #17
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
I have a couple of books from B&N that are just sitting here until I learn to strip DRM. I ordered them just to experience the process, and now I'm through buying DRMed stuff from them.

I've also decided that stripping DRM is probably more trouble than I care to invest. I've done the google search and found info, programs, etc., but it all still seems to require a level of computer expertise that I lack. I need something like: Start program, load book, press "clean" and get non-DRMed book. When the instructions start with "run this script...." I'm lost.

Oh, well...there's still lots of non-DRMed stuff to choose from!
I couldn't agree more. I thought I was reasonably savy enough to pull it off, but I gave up after downloading python and seeing nothing but greek!
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2010, 11:08 PM   #18
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimr View Post
I couldn't agree more. I thought I was reasonably savy enough to pull it off, but I gave up after downloading python and seeing nothing but greek!
You should have downloaded the English version.

Anyway, it really is easy once you get past the initial setup.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:36 AM   #19
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Most of the tools are dialogue driven once you have installed python. It is not too difficult to do, though it does appear daunting at the onset.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:29 AM   #20
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I have an Appalachian nail puzzle that is very easy to work, also, once you figure it out. It may take you a few hours to do that....
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 05:35 PM   #21
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Yes, I've looked in to stripping DRM but it just seems too daunting. Where's the computer hacker who can make us a program that automatically strips it (mac based please). On another note, if my friend has offered to lend me his hard copy of a book can I download a copy of the same book from the darknet then delete it when I'm done without feeling guilty?
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:58 PM   #22
Mimzy
Mimzy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duiker View Post
Yes, I've looked in to stripping DRM but it just seems too daunting. Where's the computer hacker who can make us a program that automatically strips it (mac based please). On another note, if my friend has offered to lend me his hard copy of a book can I download a copy of the same book from the darknet then delete it when I'm done without feeling guilty?
I feel bad because I just realized that you can get books off the darknet. My halo was so much brighter before I read this thread.
Mimzy is offline   Reply With Quote