Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-06-2006, 01:42 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
iLiad e-reader firmware 2.8 released

Although it's not Christmas yet, iLiad users can rejoice because iRex engineers have just issued firmware 2.8 for the iRex iLiad e-reader. The upgrade includes:
  • 10% additional battery life (when sound disabled)
  • Personalized PIN code
  • Recently opened documents view
  • Configurable flipbar
  • Key buffering
  • German language support
  • Scribble: annotation support on PDF documents
  • Continuous PDF view mode
  • More accurate PDF zoom
  • Background iDS connectivity
  • Fixed stylus responsiveness

See attached release notes for full information. If you like to discuss the release, please do it in this thread.

Thanks to Pitchfork and VillageReader for bringing the news first.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf v28.pdf (52.6 KB, 776 views)
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:21 PM   #2
vvoi666
Zealot
vvoi666 began at the beginning.

the 'recent documents' panel on the startpage is a great thing (we've all been waiting for this, right). but it's still two 'clicks' to the last read document.

they have this huge 'recent documents' panel on the startpage ... can they not just list the last three or four last read titles in there.

it would be like: boot ... click ... i'm in!

and why wouldn't they load the last read document on startup (the one i was reading when i turned off the iliad). that would be another click less.
vvoi666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2006, 02:37 PM   #3
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak
ElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
What would be cool is: if you close down the iLiad without exiting your book, you get sent back on bootup, otherwise, Main Menu or whatever. So if when you're going to turn it off, you're done, you exit the book before power down.
ElaHuguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 04:13 PM   #4
Matthijs
Groupie
Matthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enough

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, DR800SG
Actually: when you boot the device normally (e.g. without iDS re-connect to complete the software upgrade) it will immediately show the Recent Documents list. So opening the last read book is just 1 click.
Matthijs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 07:06 PM   #5
Frisi42
Frisi42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Irex Iliad
Thanks for 2.8

In Germany (and I guess in the Netherlands too) we celebrated Nikolaus - Day today (6.12. each year) Normaly you get sweets and chocolate. I got the 2.8 Software-Update and want to say THANKS!

Not because a software update really was necessary - the Iliad worked fine with 2.71. But the additional scribbling in PDFs offers great new opportunities. I want to use the Iliad while singing in a choir having the score on the display. Now I can make my notes...

After all the critique from other forum users (2.8 - Great, BUT...) someone has to say: This is a great electronic device.
And for all of you who want to have a reflasheable, reprogrammable, open frame linux machine: Build one on your own!

Greets
Frisi42
Frisi42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2006, 04:15 AM   #6
vvoi666
Zealot
vvoi666 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthijs
Actually: when you boot the device normally (e.g. without iDS re-connect to complete the software upgrade) it will immediately show the Recent Documents list. So opening the last read book is just 1 click.
yeah, right ... i didn't get that the first time
i apologize
vvoi666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 09:35 AM   #7
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
# scribbling on pdf rocks.
# I like the bg image of the enter-the-pin screen [iLiad keeps pin locked after a reboot, so it is save.]

Last edited by yokos; 12-07-2006 at 09:42 AM.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 09:40 AM   #8
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Password protection! Horray, that's exactly what I need to store my business docs on it.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 09:45 AM   #9
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Did somebody try to connect to iLiad with ssh, when iLiad is at enter-the-pin screen [I have here the German screen] after reboot?
[Edit]:
# "iLiad Settings" are pin locked too, when pin is set.
# English screen says "Enter your PIN code".

Last edited by yokos; 12-07-2006 at 09:52 AM.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 10:11 AM   #10
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B.
Password protection! Horray, that's exactly what I need to store my business docs on it.
Indeed. I have heard arguments about PDAs being better than paper aggendas when even the information of having a meeting is a delicate thing. For instance psychiatrists are very careful about it.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 03:18 AM   #11
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
Still just PDF, PDF, PDF....

No work on HTML, nothing on any other format (TXT, RTF). Looks like they are only interested in the f... PDF format, which creates huge files, is slow by nature, user-unfriendly, and for most ebook readers far from the first choice. Would it be really hard to create a RTF-reader with some basic functions (font size, margins, etc.)?
adbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 03:28 AM   #12
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbosch
No work on HTML, nothing on any other format (TXT, RTF). Looks like they are only interested in the f... PDF format, which creates huge files, is slow by nature, user-unfriendly, and for most ebook readers far from the first choice. Would it be really hard to create a RTF-reader with some basic functions (font size, margins, etc.)?
Or at least a txt reader that reflows text, and/or a HTML reader that remembers your last position!?!?!

Or does the HTML reader remember your last position now? I vaguely remember reading something about that, but haven't tried it lately...
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 04:58 AM   #13
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B.
Not really. You also need to know what form the protection takes. Is it just 'don't show the document unless you enter password'? In that case, your business documents may be stored en clair, and all it takes is to copy them to
n external device.

Even if they are encrypted, what crypto is used? And what quality does the password have? A poor pasword can probably be guessed in a few hours. Visit www.pwcrack.com, and wonder at the services modern society provides.

Don't assume iLiad security amounts to anything.
ath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 12:44 PM   #14
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ath
Not really. You also need to know what form the protection takes. Is it just 'don't show the document unless you enter password'? In that case, your business documents may be stored en clair, and all it takes is to copy them to
n external device.

Even if they are encrypted, what crypto is used? And what quality does the password have? A poor pasword can probably be guessed in a few hours. Visit www.pwcrack.com, and wonder at the services modern society provides.

Don't assume iLiad security amounts to anything.

Just dont let your iLiad laying around...

My guess is that the password is more for letting others know that you dont want them sticking their nose in your device. The password is like locking your front door; The average Joe can't get in, but a decent burglar has no trouble unlocking the door.

A 4 number pin offers not too much protection. It's just a remainder : 'i dont want you to get in'
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 12:55 PM   #15
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
I'm disappointed too. In fact, I'm ready to jump ship for the first reader available to the UK that will read HTML or RTF files.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote