Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-04-2009, 12:38 AM   #1
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
[Problem solved] 505 vs. different font families in LRF

I have been informed of a strange thing, and verified it myself: Some time ago the PRS-505 stopped displaying non-embedded sans-serif and monospace fonts in LRF files, replacing them with a serif font. The fonts are still on the device, and at least sans-serif is definitely working fine (because it is used by the Reader's UI), but they don't work in the books themselves. I suspect it might be a regression in 1.1 firmware, as I tried some books from my early days which used to display both monospace and sans-serif just fine, but they don't anymore. Could anyone please check it out? I have a tiny test book here (it was intended to check for east-european support, but it can just as well be used for font-family tests).

Last edited by pepak; 09-29-2009 at 01:05 PM.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:42 AM   #2
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Here are my results; left as it is displayed in Firefox, right as displayed on my reader. I only have my crappy Blackberry camera on me, so I had to put the reader into landscape mode to even make a half-decent pic.

I have the default fonts on my reader (never bothered to tweak), it appears I am missing some letters, but it displays sans just fine. I have the latest firmware for the 505 loaded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	comparison.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	35386  
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #3
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for trying it out. Your images look like they should. It must be a font issue then, but what? It can't be just custom fonts, because I had had to use custom fonts to get correct letters, but for some reason with my current fonts the reader will only display serif inside books :-(
Old 09-04-2009, 12:22 PM   #4
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
It can't be just custom fonts, because I had had to use custom fonts to get correct letters
Why can't it? (no really, I'm asking)

Also, if you really want to fix it, the path seems clear: retrace your steps. Load a proper default firmware. Test. Customise your fonts again. Test. Damn that sounds tiresome
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:38 PM   #5
pepak
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
Why can't it? (no really, I'm asking)
Because I used to get proper font families with custom fonts. But those were different fonts than I use now (I used: Times New Roman/Arial/Courier New [all from Windows]. Now I use: Gentium/Droid Sans/Droid Monospace).

Quote:
Also, if you really want to fix it, the path seems clear: retrace your steps. Load a proper default firmware. Test. Customise your fonts again. Test. Damn that sounds tiresome
Not so tiresome as trying to find which font description fields I actually HAVE TO modify before the Reader stops freezing :-)

The problem is that to the best of my knowledge, all of my fonts are prepared the same way, but some work within books and some don't.
Advert
Old 09-20-2009, 11:39 AM   #6
pepak
Guru

Still can't figure it out. My fonts apparently work fine in the Reader (serif is self-obvious as it is used by all books unless a different font family is specifically requested; sans-serif is self-obvious because it is used by the GUI) but I just can't get them to work in books. I even tried to flash my old fonts (Windows' Times/Verdana/Courier New) which I had been using for quite a some time before switching to Gentium/Droid, and they don't work anymore! In the books, that is - they do work fine in the GUI, just like my current fonts do. I guess the next step is getting older Calibre from my archives and checking if it works with it.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:35 PM   #7
pepak
Guru

I wonder: Could anyone try my fonts on their Reader, if they render the test book in different families? The fonts are freeware and all are already modified to work with PRS-505 - you can see that in the menu. It works fine even if you use the "change fonts without flashing" hack (if you don't want to flash your reader permanently). Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to get those fonts working inside books - they all render using the serif font :-(

Links:
Gentium font (serif - use file tt0011m_.ttf).
Droid fonts (sans serif and monospace - use file tt0003m_.ttf and tt0419m_.ttf).
Test book (2KB)
Permanently flashing fonts
Temporary font replacement (reverts to flashed fonts upon reboot).

Thanks for any help. I hope I will be able to figure out why I can't get proper font families, even with fonts which used to work for me before (I used the Windows' Times New Roman, Verdana and Courier; sadly, I can't post those because of copyright on them).
Old 09-28-2009, 07:59 AM   #8
pepak
Guru

More findings:

- I did some testing with more Readers and older versions of Calibre (libprs500, even), which leads me to conclusion that the problem is font-related, not reader-related or Calibre-related

- The whole problem is probably related to the way the Reader treats "missing letters": If a character is not available in a sans/mono family, the Reader will attempt to replace it with the same character in serif family. This can be easily shown when you flash unicode serif font and non-unicode sans and mono - unicode characters will be displayed in serif regardless of what style the paragraph is in.

- As far as the unicode fonts supplied with PRSCustomizer are concerned, serif and sans works fine but mono doesn't work at all - all of its characters get replaced by their serif counterparts (try to flash unicode-unicode-unicode and compare it to unicode-unicode-default on my test book above).

- Basically, now I have to figure out the difference between e.g. unicode mono and default mono of PRSCustomizer. Hopefully that will reveal what's needed for a font to display correctly in the Reader.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:03 PM   #9
pepak
Guru

[Problem solved] 505 vs. different font families in LRF

Turns out several information sources, including *VERY* detailed guide on changing default Reader fonts and PRS Customizer itself are partially incorrect: It is a widely accepted fact that fonts to be integrated into Sony Readers need to have their "font family" tag modified, but it turns out that it is not enough - proper "font family" will make the Reader recognize a font and use it in menu, but it will not use it inside a book unless

a) that font is a serif font (0011), or

b) "full font name" is also modified. Serif font can be left alone because it works even with uncorrected full font name, but sans-serif font requires "Swis721 BT Roman" full-font-name, and monospace font requires "Courier10 BT Roman".

Curiously enough, PRS Customizer's unicode fonts have a proper full-font-name for sans-serif font but invalid for monospace font.