Notices

Old 09-11-2008, 12:55 PM   #1
Sayuri
Sayuri began at the beginning.

Device: cybook
Diagonal squares appearing after update

Hi all,

I am hoping someone here can help.

I updated my Cybook with the 1.2 firmware and when I turned it on after the update finished all that appears after the intial two start-up screen is diagonal lines of squares running from black through grey to white.

Is this a common problem? If I download the source code and re-install that on the Cybook, will it fix it? Or should I try re-installing the firmware update?

Next stupid question but I am no computer whizz, if it is the source code how do I upload that to the cybook? Is it the same way as the firmware updates?

Please help. I miss my Cybook!
Sayuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:34 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A "checkerboard" pattern most commonly means that the Gen3 can't read its firmware. Are you able to see it still via USB on your PC? If so, do a "chkdsk" on the internal disk (the one that shows up labelled "Gen3"). You need to reflash the firmware, but don't do it until you've checked to see if there are errors on the disk partition.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2008, 04:41 AM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A "checkerboard" pattern most commonly means that the Gen3 can't read its firmware. Are you able to see it still via USB on your PC? If so, do a "chkdsk" on the internal disk (the one that shows up labelled "Gen3"). You need to reflash the firmware, but don't do it until you've checked to see if there are errors on the disk partition.
Well, the only time I have seen it it is because it could not read the internal non-firmware partition. For example when I tried to format that partition as ext3 I got this pattern. I have not seen evidence here that the most common cause is that it cannot read the internal firmware partition.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:46 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did say, Tommy, did I not, "do a chkdsk on the internal disk"? I think we're saying the same thing.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:50 AM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I did say, Tommy, did I not, "do a chkdsk on the internal disk"? I think we're saying the same thing.
You said "A "checkerboard" pattern most commonly means that the Gen3 can't read its firmware." I think we should distinguish between the internal firmware partion we do not see and the system folder on the partition we see. The system folder just contains a data file used by the firmware.
Advert
Old 09-12-2008, 04:53 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The checkerboard pattern occurs, I believe, when the firmware fails to initialise. This could be due to a problem with the firmware itself, or with one of the data files which it uses. Given that the original poster's problems occurred following a reflash, I think we need to check both possibilities - that the internal (visible) disk is corrupt, and that the (invisible) firmware itself has failed to flash correctly. The easiest thing to check is whether or not the internal partition is corrupt and, if it is, to fix it.

If there is an issue with one of the data files, the best thing to do I think, is to first re-flash with the complete "708fmt" reflasher, which will completely re-create the internal partition, and then to reflash with the 796 updater.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:37 AM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Yes, I agree that checking the visible internal partition is the first thing to do. And I think that the most common cause for the checkerboard pattern is that the internal visible partition cannot be read properly.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:21 PM   #8
Sayuri
Sayuri began at the beginning.

Device: cybook
Thanks for the reply guys.

I think it probably was an issue with the firmware as Windows was asking to check the disk the last time I plugged it in.

I did get an answer back from Bookeen who said it was a missing systemfile and sent me a new one. However, for some bizarre reason my Bookeen has not only the 'checkerboard' still but has become write protected so I can't load anything new onto it.

Any ideas?
Sayuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 01:26 PM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayuri View Post
Thanks for the reply guys.

I think it probably was an issue with the firmware as Windows was asking to check the disk the last time I plugged it in.

I did get an answer back from Bookeen who said it was a missing systemfile and sent me a new one. However, for some bizarre reason my Bookeen has not only the 'checkerboard' still but has become write protected so I can't load anything new onto it.

Any ideas?
And did you check the disk? It sound like you need to reformat the internal partition. What I would do is reformat it as FAT32, create the system directory, copy the system files Bookeen sent to the system directory and test if it works.

I think the file system on the internal partition is corrupt and therefore you cannot write on it.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:45 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I would recommend that you reflash with the FULL 796 reflasher, as linked to here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=93

This will completely recreate the internal partition and restore all the system files. Back up your books and fonts from the internal partition first - you'll lose them in the process.

It sounds as though you may have inadvertently unplugged the Gen3 from your PC without properly dismounting it - this can easily lead to disk corruption. ALWAYS use the "Safely Remove Hardware" tool before unplugging the USB cable.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:51 PM   #11
SUSGOD
Connoisseur
SUSGOD began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre-eBook reader PRO
Diagonal squares appearing after update

In May I had the same problem of Black, gray, & white checkerboard. I received great advise on this forum & my problem was solved. I looked at the reflash video http://www.justread.de/Videos/, followed the directions to reflash, and pressed the power button, but there was no change in the screen. I hooked the cybook to a computer and everything worked as just soon as the USB connection was made.

Susan
SUSGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:31 AM   #12
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
I accidentally deleted the system folder (and its contents) in the visible partition of my Cybook. I saw the diagonal squares when I disconnected the Cybook from my PC.

I had a back up on my PC and I copied the system folder back to my Cybook. This fixed the problem.
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote