Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-11-2008, 11:58 PM   #1
bchowdhr
bchowdhr began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Free samples not available via USB

I am traveling outside the country and wanted to try a few free samples before deciding if I should buy them. I realized, however, that samples are sent directly to your Kindle but are not accessible using your computer, Only the purchased books show up in your media library for transferring using a USB cable.
bchowdhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:39 AM   #2
MoSo
Crankier than average
MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle #1, Kindle #2; internet appliance - The Chumby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchowdhr View Post
I am traveling outside the country and wanted to try a few free samples before deciding if I should buy them. I realized, however, that samples are sent directly to your Kindle but are not accessible using your computer, Only the purchased books show up in your media library for transferring using a USB cable.
Yes, it's always been that way, and Amazon has never represented it any other way. My local (and only) Sprint tower was down for a week or so and downloading samples was what I missed most.
MoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2008, 07:32 AM   #3
Chuckwade87
Connoisseur
Chuckwade87 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle/Sony PRS 505
Yeah i know how that is. I have been living in germany for the past 3 years. I just bought my Kindle a month or so ago. No samples which sucks. However i think there is a way around that. If you go to Mobipocket.com you can get samples downloaded in .mobi format, and you should be able to get them onto your kindle.
Although I havent tried it yet.
Chuckwade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:16 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckwade87 View Post
Yeah i know how that is. I have been living in germany for the past 3 years. I just bought my Kindle a month or so ago. No samples which sucks. However i think there is a way around that. If you go to Mobipocket.com you can get samples downloaded in .mobi format, and you should be able to get them onto your kindle.
Although I havent tried it yet.
You inspired me to try it and.... IT WORKS! You do have to have a computer with MobiPocket Reader. You use MPR to transfer the Demo (sample) to the Kindle and then of course you have to move the demo from the "ebooks" folder to the "documents" folder but it does work.

I downloaded Stephanie Meyer's Breaking Dawn, which I already had as a Kindle book

Karma points to you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mobi sample.gif
Views:	319
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	15157  
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:43 AM   #5
Chuckwade87
Connoisseur
Chuckwade87 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle/Sony PRS 505
I'm just glad to help.
Chuckwade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2008, 01:12 PM   #6
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
You inspired me to try it and.... IT WORKS! You do have to have a computer with MobiPocket Reader. You use MPR to transfer the Demo (sample) to the Kindle and then of course you have to move the demo from the "ebooks" folder to the "documents" folder but it does work.
Not trying to correct you, daffy, just clarifying mobipocket.com's instructions.

I just clicked on the "download" button, and opened the file in Stanza on my Mac. I don't think you need Mobipocket Reader (unless you want to actually read the sample on your desktop). The samples aren't DRM'd at all. You also don't need to move the book using MPR, just a Finder/WinExplorer drag and drop to the Kindle (or SD card) will work just fine.

BTW, if you want to use MPR with your Kindle, the best version to use is version 6.0 (it will recognize the Kindle, and use the documents folder correctly.) It can still be found online (or send me a PM if you need a pointer.)
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:29 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

I downloaded Stephanie Meyer's Breaking Dawn, which I already had as a Kindle book

Karma points to you.
Sorry, WHY do you have to have MobiPocket Reader? You can simply download the sample to your PC from the Mobi web site, and then copy it your Kindle via USB. I'm afraid I don't see where the need for Mobi Reader on the PC enters into it at all .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:24 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry, WHY do you have to have MobiPocket Reader? You can simply download the sample to your PC from the Mobi web site, and then copy it your Kindle via USB. I'm afraid I don't see where the need for Mobi Reader on the PC enters into it at all .
'Cause the site told me I had to have it. If it works without MPR, all the better.

Quote:
N.B. : You need to install the Mobipocket Reader on your PDA or PC before you can view this sample.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:30 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
Not trying to correct you, daffy, just clarifying mobipocket.com's instructions.

I just clicked on the "download" button, and opened the file in Stanza on my Mac. I don't think you need Mobipocket Reader (unless you want to actually read the sample on your desktop). The samples aren't DRM'd at all. You also don't need to move the book using MPR, just a Finder/WinExplorer drag and drop to the Kindle (or SD card) will work just fine.

BTW, if you want to use MPR with your Kindle, the best version to use is version 6.0 (it will recognize the Kindle, and use the documents folder correctly.) It can still be found online (or send me a PM if you need a pointer.)
Gottcha!

I use MPR 6.0 for XP and 6.2 for Vista (6.0 doesn't work with Vista for me) See my post here.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:39 PM   #10
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Ahhh, you use Vista - my sympathies
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:58 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
'Cause the site told me I had to have it. If it works without MPR, all the better.
You do have MobiPocket Reader installed - it's built into the Kindle . You certainly don't need it on your PC, unless you wish to read books on your PC.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:17 AM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You do have MobiPocket Reader installed - it's built into the Kindle . You certainly don't need it on your PC, unless you wish to read books on your PC.
Whatever.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:55 AM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
Ahhh, you use Vista - my sympathies
Don't hate me but... I like Vista.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:21 AM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Don't hate me but... I like Vista.

I like Vista too! After hearing so many horror tales, from both friends who got Vista, and couldn't figure out the new email program, (what do you mean theres no more Outloook Express??!!) and reading onine reviews, I figured I was in for a frustrating learning experience. However, when my new laptop arrived, it walked to the outlet, plugged itself in, set up all my addresses, transferred files from old laptop, and connected itself to the internet by itself!

Well, okay, maybe it didn't walk itself to the outlet, but really, I like Vista better than XP. Knock on wood, it hasn't given me problems so far.......and I've been able to find help for the new stuff loaded right on the start menu. So I"m curious. Exactly what about Vista is it that people don't like?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:29 AM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

I had and have issues with User Account Control (UAC), "do you want to do this... are you sure... it's not too late to change your mind". Once I turned that off, I was a peace. Also, some of my hardware doesn't have Vista drivers, which is why I still need XP for work. On the whole, I like it a lot.

Tags
duck!