Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-26-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
AshleyLynn
AshleyLynn began at the beginning.

Device: none
Workflow for Revisions

Hi everybody,
I have a question about how to do revisions for an ePub book.

Let's say you've laid out the text and images in InDesign, exported to ePub, and then tweaked the code to add additional edits (putting in some horizontal rules, maybe making something have a background color, etc.). It's ready, so you send it over to the client to look at it.

Let's say the client has requested an image be full-page, instead of just half the page.

How would you go about editing this? My understanding is that if you made the edit in InDesign, you would then have to export it again as an ePub, and then you'd have to re-code everything.

If there's a way to do it in the code, how would you go about doing it?

Thanks everyone for your help!
AshleyLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
If you have additional processing steps after InDesign I don't see a happy ending in terms of revision control and ease of changes.

I maintain a product catalog in QuarkExpress and I make sure the final output comes straight from Quark. If something needs a tweak that I can't do in Quark I do it to the source artwork (e.g. in Photoshop, Creo, or Lightwave) and re-import it. Source art is easier to Rev control with just file names.

Your example post processing -- adding a horizontal rule, resizing an image, changing a background color -- should all be doable within InDesign because I can do all those in Quark (which I am told is currently a slightly inferior page layout program).
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
Or you can use Sigil: http://code.google.com/p/sigil/downloads/list
to edit the epub and make changes.

...And ask questions here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=203
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
You do realize that we have a calbre and sigil forum, don't you?

-- Your thread has now been moved.

Please take the time to look around our site.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #5
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
The issue seems to be that there is no program that handles everything to produce an epub and print version.

Seems like the only way to maintain version control is to make sure you keep the same file names in both versions and always work on one after the other.

Of course, if you just are producing an epub, fix it up in Sigil once it is out of InDesign and do all further edits in Sigil. It is quite capable and powerful for epubs and designed for the job.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If the end result is to be an ebook, why start in InDesign? This is a page layout program, which will encourage you to do things inappropriate to an epub.

Pour the raw text into Sigil. Apply epub-appropriate formatting (i.e. not much). Job done.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:05 AM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
The issue seems to be that there is no program that handles everything to produce an epub and print version.

Seems like the only way to maintain version control is to make sure you keep the same file names in both versions and always work on one after the other.

Of course, if you just are producing an epub, fix it up in Sigil once it is out of InDesign and do all further edits in Sigil. It is quite capable and powerful for epubs and designed for the job.
Actually Atlantis comes pretty close to doing both. It is word compatible and makes a clean ePub although not all features are supported, most are.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, indesign, revisions, workflow