Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-14-2022, 05:50 AM   #1
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
Can I safely update once jailbroken?

I've jailbroken my kindle and have installed the latest jailbreak hotfix and have renamed the ota update files via kual. With amazon stopping the ability to send mobi to kindle via email and with the "no cover" bug with sending epub to Kindle only being fixed with the 5.15 firmware version am I safe to update?

I've not seen any posts about this and have done a search but currently only have access to the internet via my mobile so may well have missed something obvious.

It's not something I will want to do regularly, I just want the ability to email books to myself (yes at the moment I can still email mobi but I don't believe that will last).

Will I need to change the ota files back if I copy the update to the root of the device? Do I then need to reinstall the hotfix after the update? Will the update revert the ota fix so I have to really it?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Akirainblack; 10-14-2022 at 05:52 AM.
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 09:29 AM   #2
tekkasit
Groupie
tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, KV, KOA3
After you jailbreak, you can install a firmware update. But after the update, you must reinstall JB hotfix, and KUAL (if you use it)
tekkasit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2022, 02:19 AM   #3
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
Lovely, thank you.
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 10:21 AM   #4
lightmaster
lightmaster began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4 10th gen; Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkasit View Post
After you jailbreak, you can install a firmware update. But after the update, you must reinstall JB hotfix, and KUAL (if you use it)
Is it possible for Amazon to break this, or will re-installing the hotfix and KUAL always get jailbreak back after a firmware update?
lightmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 11:10 AM   #5
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightmaster View Post
Is it possible for Amazon to break this, or will re-installing the hotfix and KUAL always get jailbreak back after a firmware update?
It depends on how far Amazon is willing to go during the update process. To this point they have not taken action that would prevent restoring the JB. But that is no guarantee about the future. Given this I have my kindles protected against an automated update. This allows me to wait and see if an update offers an improvement over my current firmware and will not endanger my enhancements.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2022, 12:45 AM   #6
lightmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
It depends on how far Amazon is willing to go during the update process. To this point they have not taken action that would prevent restoring the JB. But that is no guarantee about the future. Given this I have my kindles protected against an automated update. This allows me to wait and see if an update offers an improvement over my current firmware and will not endanger my enhancements.

Dave
What's the correct way to prevent OTA updates on the current firmware? I read that the older method of creating a folder with the name of the OTA temp file no longer works. Obviously Airplane mode would prevent it, but I use KOReader and the best way that I've found for sending books from Calibre to KOReader is over a WiFi connection.
Old 10-31-2022, 05:51 AM   #7
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
Quote:
What's the correct way to prevent OTA updates on the current firmware?
The current (and generally considered best) way to prevent updates is to rename the OTA binaries, which can be done through the KUAL extension at the post below:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=25
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 01:10 AM   #8
muggleMode
Enthusiast
muggleMode began at the beginning.

Device: PW5
i install the jailbreak on my PW5 perfectly
accidentally update to the latest version (5.15.1)
got this error when i try to reinstall JB hotfix

"Update Error
An invalid update file has been loaded on your device"

i just copy Update_hotfix_watchthis_custom.bin to the root folder of the device.
what are the steps to reinstall the JB hotfix?
muggleMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 05:51 AM   #9
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Step 1: don't use Update_hotfix_watchthis_custom.bin to reinstall / restore jailbreak bridge.

Step 2: download and use latest hotfix from this snapshots thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 09:01 AM   #10
muggleMode
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
Step 1: don't use Update_hotfix_watchthis_custom.bin to reinstall / restore jailbreak bridge.

Step 2: download and use latest hotfix from this snapshots thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030
I tried with the 2 files and it gives me the same error

"Update Error
An invalid update file has been loaded on your device"

when I disconnect the cable after copying the file to the root folder it gives me that error, and then it deletes the file...

maybe if I do a factory reset and then use the correct file?
don't know what to do.

think I already lost my jailbreak, I'm already missing my koreader
Old 11-14-2022, 10:09 AM   #11
lightmaster

do not do a factor reset or you very well may lose your jailbreak.
Old 11-14-2022, 10:11 AM   #12
lightmaster

Try the steps listed here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=348712, this got mine working again after I accidentally updated the firmware.
Old 11-14-2022, 12:39 PM   #13
muggleMode
Enthusiast

Quote:
do not do a factor reset or you very well may lose your jailbreak.
too late, nothing was working so i did factory reset two times, first in the setting of the device
still had the "Hush little baby..." message, so here i try to reinstall the kual with the ;log mrpi but i got white screen after the installation and had to hold to power button to restart the device
and then with the empy file "DO_FACTORY_RESTORE"
now i get "MRPI is not installed."

I screwed up
Old 11-14-2022, 12:52 PM   #14
muggleMode
Enthusiast

update:
still have the "Hush little baby..." message, but when i try to reinstall the kual with the ;log mrpi i got white screen after the installation and have to hold to power button to restart the device.

will there be any solution?
Old 11-14-2022, 06:22 PM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Unless someone figure out why the GUI fails to restart, no, as I'm not going to update to an affected FW (>= 5.15.x).

The latest MRPI version tried something different, and I've heard mixed results at best.

MRPI doesn't kill USBNet, so it's fairly easy to follow along. The hard part is figuring out what's getting its panties in a bunch, and why (also, having an idea of what it should look like when working would help, too).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote