Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #16
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Changing the subject now: Do you guys think the rumors of a Mini iPad are debunked? Doesn't look like there will be one. I must admit I always suspected that rumor was highly unlikely to become true. But you never know. However, as our Monkey friend mentioned about the iPt5, the price would be too high. If Apple wants $300 for the lowest end iPt5 with 4" screen, they would want a small fortune for a 7" miniPad since they already sell their maxiPads for a large fortune. (Gotta have some fun with the names.)
Current rumors are it's getting its own event in October. As for an iPad Mini, I can easily see them selling it for $350 or so. That was the price I expected for it to begin with.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #17
krm0789
Enthusiast
krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
The camera is actually a big part of what intrigues me. I'd kill for an iphone specs-wise, but just can't bring myself to pay for data. While it doesn't replace my digital camera, I do like using my mp3 player's phone for day-to-day things, & the 5 mp/flash would be an upgrade for me. The $$$ gives me pause, but I fully admit to drooling over the new touch.
krm0789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #18
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Funny how shrinking a 7" tablet to 4"~5" requires a 2-3 times jump in price.
It's Apple. Their profit margins are always high. I think they have a 40% minimum or something.

Interesting observation, an extra $50 over the iPod Touch 5th gen will get you a factory unlocked Samsung Galaxy Nexus direct from Google with dual-core 1.2GHz CPU, 1GB RAM, 4.65" 1280x720 display, GPS, NFC, etc. If you can get good T-Mobile signal and don't make a lot of calls, this would work perfectly with the $30/month prepaid plan with 100 minutes, unlimited text and unlimited data (may be throttled after 5GB).

Quote:
Originally Posted by krm0789 View Post
The camera is actually a big part of what intrigues me. I'd kill for an iphone specs-wise, but just can't bring myself to pay for data. While it doesn't replace my digital camera, I do like using my mp3 player's phone for day-to-day things, & the 5 mp/flash would be an upgrade for me. The $$$ gives me pause, but I fully admit to drooling over the new touch.
If you don't want data, the iPhone should be available for $650 (16GB) unlocked (if not immediately at launch, then shortly thereafter). However, that's just slightly cheaper than paying on contract pricing with AT&T with their cheapest data plan: $200 upfront + $480 ($20 * 24) = $680.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #19
jswinden
Nameless Being

Unfortunately the phone radio in the iPhones have always sucked. All my friends and family who own one have trouble keeping a connection and I have trouble hearing what they are saying. The phone part of iPhone is total garbage. If Apple depended on iPhones to sell based solely on the quality of the phone radio therein incorporated, they would be bankrupt rather than the richest company in the world. Couple that terrible phone with AT&T and you have perhaps the world's worst phone. Two tin cans and a tightly stretched string work better and are more reliable.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #20
krm0789
Enthusiast
krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
If you don't want data, the iPhone should be available for $650 (16GB) unlocked (if not immediately at launch, then shortly thereafter). However, that's just slightly cheaper than paying on contract pricing with AT&T with their cheapest data plan: $200 upfront + $480 ($20 * 24) = $680.
I know, but I would much prefer to pay $300 for something similar though not quite as good, than $650
krm0789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #21
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
The battery has always been my #1 major complaint on the previous 4 gens. None of them ever got more than 2 or 3 hours of reading time with the LCD lighting set near the lowest setting. Very pathetic. The only other complaint has been that the touches are way to thin. They are difficult to hold, especially with the curved bezel and back and slick surface. I'm not a kid, I want a grown up device.
I agree entirely. I'd much rather have a thicker device and more battery life. I don't know why Apple (Steve Jobs) insists on this. It seems like a classic case of form triumphing over function.

I don't like the curved-back case on my 4th gen iPod Touch, either. I keep it in a silicone case just because of that.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #22
jswinden
Nameless Being

I put mine in a Mobic battery case. The case was thick because it contained a second battery for the iPt4. Nice feel to the case and nice thickness. Unfortunately the battery in the case was as dysfunctional as the one in the iPt4 so I rarely got any extra battery life by using it. Personally I would like an iPod touch with a 5" retina screen and about a 3/8" to 1/2" thickness so that the battery would last for 8 hours. I'm not sure how a person with adult hands can even hold on to those tiny new gen 5s!
Old 09-14-2012, 09:37 AM   #23
300com
Zealot
300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Forget about good battery life, it will suck as all the other generations did as far as battery.
it's taller, the battery is bigger.
300com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #24
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300com View Post
it's taller, the battery is bigger.
The iPt5 is also thinner. It is rated at nearly the same battery life as the iPt4, which was a gross overrating/lie. I suspect it will do no more than 3 hours with the screen on the lowest setting as the iPt4 usually gets between 2 to 3 hours.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #25
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I use my touch for music and reading so this new version is no upgrade for me. I'll stick with my current one. Camera would be nice, but I have a decent one in my cheap android phone already.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:41 AM   #26
greenyouth
Zealot
greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Wow! This is a good news! how much will be the price?
greenyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:22 AM   #27
300com
Zealot
300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Unfortunately the phone radio in the iPhones have always sucked.
not this time, i hear it's very good now so you can keep your Apple hate at the door.
300com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #28
greenyouth
Zealot
greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by aagstn View Post
I use my touch for music and reading so this new version is no upgrade for me. I'll stick with my current one. Camera would be nice, but I have a decent one in my cheap android phone already.
Android fanatic? why people love spending fortunes with just a phone?
greenyouth is offline   Reply With Quote