Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-05-2012, 10:36 PM   #31
charlesatan
Addict
charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
I agree with others, this seems extremely low for a commissioned work. We offer more than that when we commission technical books.
What Suzanna said and my emphasis on what you wrote. Different genre (nonfiction vs. fiction).
charlesatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:23 AM   #32
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by EileenG View Post
Yes, the short lead time is so that they can have it in print in time for Christmas shopping and they need to cash in on the 50 Shades thing. And that's why I'm sure they are not making multpile offers, there are simply not that many erotica writers about who are as good (and fast) as we are. There was a lot of mention in the media about us writing a 30k novella in ten days.

According to a writer friend, the advance is similar to what she gets for ghost writing for them.
So do you have a title for this book?
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #33
EileenG
Zealot
EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: My phone
There was a joke title of 40 Shades of Green, but that's gone. They want us to produce half a dozen titles so they can pick the they like best.

The cover will be one of those tasteful efforts with black or dark grey and a single image in the middle.

And it sounds like they are getting cold feet on the kink. They want something just like 50 but without any scary stuff. And a less annoying heroine. And more emotional trauma for the hero. And lots and lots of foreplay. And no taking the piss. And no graphic words in the sex scenes. But apart from that, we have a free hand.
EileenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #34
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There was a joke title of 40 Shades of Green, but that's gone. They want us to produce half a dozen titles so they can pick the they like best.

The cover will be one of those tasteful efforts with black or dark grey and a single image in the middle.

And it sounds like they are getting cold feet on the kink. They want something just like 50 but without any scary stuff. And a less annoying heroine. And more emotional trauma for the hero. And lots and lots of foreplay. And no taking the piss. And no graphic words in the sex scenes. But apart from that, we have a free hand.
I take it from what you did say that you aren't going to put in any of the "French potty mouth" stuff.

Good.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:13 AM   #35
EileenG
Zealot
EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What is the French potty mouth stuff?
Advert
Old 07-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #36
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

Quote:
What is the French potty mouth stuff?
I won't elaborate further in public or in polite company. I think my mom would say "don't talk like that or you will get a mouth wash of octagon/lye soap." I had a taste of that at my elementary school once though I still protest my innocence. (Of course that was for only a few basic "cuss" words.)
There, I betray my age. Nowadays they jail teachers, principals or parents for doing such to children. In my day, you would have been punished at school, and then gotten a whipping at home.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #37
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
You mean it's not written yet?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:31 AM   #38
EileenG
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
You mean it's not written yet?
No, I'm writing it as we speak. They asked us to write this book for them. 90k words by August 13. 15,700 words so far.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:36 AM   #39
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No, I'm writing it as we speak. They asked us to write this book for them. 90k words by August 13. 15,700 words so far.
Good for you....and of course, I'm just rattling the monkey cage bars.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #40
MichaelSullivan
Enthusiast
MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
I can't say for all genres but in science fiction and fantasy a new author has traditionally received $5,000 - $10,000. This has been confirmed over and over again by a number of places but the one I'll point you to is Tobias Bucknell's survey (which I believe occurred in 2005).

I'm actually doing a survey right now and while I'm still collecting data it confirms that.
I will say that my debut contract was MUCH more than this (six-figures for 3 books) but a lot of that was because of my prior self-publishing success (I suspect) and a realization on the publishers part that if their advance was significantly lower than my self-publishing income I would turn it down immediately).

I've not heard of the "no advance" aspect that was listed earlier in this article, but I do have some very relevant data in that I'm negotiating my second contract right now. I was originally offered the same (on a per book basis) and the publisher cited "which is really good considering advances are about 50% these days). I didn't take it and we are currently in negotiations, and they have raised the advance considerably over the initial.

I'm not sure how much a single data point is worth, but it's at least better than nothing.
MichaelSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #41
Echase
Connoisseur
Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
congrats, good luck!
Echase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #42
EileenG
Zealot

20,000 today.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #43
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
20,000 today.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #44
kennyc

Double!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Old 07-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #45
MichaelSullivan
Enthusiast
MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Quote:
This is a Big Six publisher who have approached me and asked me to write an erotic novel that will blow 50 Shades away. They want it before the end of August, so it can be on the shelves before Christmas and are offering an advance of $5000.
In the work-for-hire world this would be "in-line" lower than some, higher than others. But it also sends a single about how much promotion they really plan on putting behind it - if they want to ride the 50-shades they would have a big budget, and I would suspect a higher advance.

Advances are calculated based on expected earnings, so the fact they are offering such a low one doesn't tell me they are going to put a lot of marketing behind it.

Last edited by MichaelSullivan; 07-13-2012 at 02:19 PM.
MichaelSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote