Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-02-2007, 02:00 PM   #1
horseyride
Enthusiast
horseyride began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Battery Life vs Sony 505

Anyone have any real idea how battery life on the Cybook compares to the Sony 505?

It, of course, depends on usage, but Sony quotes "up to 7500 continuous page turns" while Cybook says "8,000 screen refreshes.

Somewhere I recall reading that Sony supposedly had longer better battery life. Ideas?
horseyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:25 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseyride View Post
Anyone have any real idea how battery life on the Cybook compares to the Sony 505?

It, of course, depends on usage, but Sony quotes "up to 7500 continuous page turns" while Cybook says "8,000 screen refreshes.

Somewhere I recall reading that Sony supposedly had longer better battery life. Ideas?
Not really. I've got both the Sony 500 and the Cybook Gen3. And I just can't turn pages as fast with my Sony as with the Cybook. Probably this is different with the 505 as it has - to my mind - a more logical button size and layout. Mom is more patient than I am so she doesn't mind the difficulty in using the 500's page-turn buttons.

However, as I tend to read fast, I *can* state that those page-flips go by real fast and I usually end up burning through the battery in about 5 ebook novels. (About 4 days.) Also remember that for those of us who need larger font sizes (Damn, 'old-age' eyesight is a pain!) equates to more page-flips per ebook and, thus, fewer ebooks per battery charge. I've found that in 100-Watt lighting, if I don't have my 'reading' glasses to hand, I have to up-size by two font sizes to read - which effectively turns a 1,200 epage book into a 2,100 epage book. Oops!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2007, 02:26 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Sony runs for about 3 weeks in "standby" mode compared with, I believe, about 3-4 days for the CyBook. Both, however, allow you to switch them fully "off" in which case they'll stop using power. In terms of actually "reading time" I'd expect them to be pretty similar.

I'll find out for sure on Monday when (hopefully) my Gen3 gets delivered
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:36 PM   #4
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Why the big difference? Is the standby mode implemented in different ways?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:48 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Different hardware is the first thing that springs to mind.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2007, 05:37 PM   #6
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Does anyone know if it makes a difference if the book you're reading is on the SD card vs internal memory? I would assume that the battery life would be less if it has to power up the SD card.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:44 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Some of the testing we (I mean MobileReaders, not me personally) did early on with the PRS500 found that not only was the battery life shortened by using a memory card instead of internal memory, but also that the amount of difference varied pretty widely with brand of memory card.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 03:37 AM   #8
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
That is something I didn't think of. So to optimize battery life keep te books you want to read internal. Use the memory card only as the main library but not in the device. Only transfer them when you need them. Do you have any data on the brands that use less than others?
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:28 AM   #9
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
What I would really love to see is a Sony Reader with Mobipocket support.
Those 3-4 weeks of standby are something nobody has managed yet apart from Sony (and Jinke with some of the Hanlins) and it is a feature that I MUST have in any ereader device that I'd even consider spending money on.
Mobipocket is something that actually makes buying AND converting books so much easier and faster that it also is on my "must-have" list for any future device.

The Cybook is surely a nice device, but if they don't get it to do Sony-Reader battery life then I'd never consider it. I know the approx. 1 business week of Standby from the STAReBOOK...it's OK and much better than the Iliad, but it does not give the same kind of freedom a full month of charger-free life promises.
Of course, if the device had "instant-on" or at least a booting time <10 seconds I would not mind a lower Standby time that much, but as it stands the devices all take a while to get going after you turn them completely off and that makes it vitally important to me that you can leave it on 24/7 without fear of discovering that it ran out of juice just lying there doing nothing...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:43 AM   #10
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
So what is the boot time for the Cybook? I notice that it is not mentioned on the web site...
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:32 AM   #11
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Hi CommanderROR, where are you getting your information that the battery life is so much worse on the Cybook? The product specs look the same to me.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:51 AM   #12
zandor
zandor is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook G3 (in order)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
....Of course, if the device had "instant-on" or at least a booting time <10 seconds I would not mind a lower Standby time that much, but as it stands the devices all take a while to get going after you turn them completely off and that makes it vitally important to me that you can leave it on 24/7 without fear of discovering that it ran out of juice just lying there doing nothing...
If you set it to go really off after 30 minutes or so, you can lay it down for as long as you want. (weeks / months) the only thing is when you pick it up again, you'll have to wait 14 seconds to start up again.

"As you get in sleep mode between each page flip and the Cybook switches off automatically after a certain delay of inactivity, the Cybook battery lifetime can vary from several hours (MP3 playing) to several month (80 page flips per day with switch-off at the end of each reading session)."

Last edited by zandor; 11-03-2007 at 09:30 AM.
zandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 01:14 PM   #13
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
What I would really love to see is a Sony Reader with Mobipocket support.
Those 3-4 weeks of standby are something nobody has managed yet apart from Sony (and Jinke with some of the Hanlins) and it is a feature that I MUST have in any ereader device that I'd even consider spending money on.
Mobipocket is something that actually makes buying AND converting books so much easier and faster that it also is on my "must-have" list for any future device.

The Cybook is surely a nice device, but if they don't get it to do Sony-Reader battery life then I'd never consider it. I know the approx. 1 business week of Standby from the STAReBOOK...it's OK and much better than the Iliad, but it does not give the same kind of freedom a full month of charger-free life promises.
Of course, if the device had "instant-on" or at least a booting time <10 seconds I would not mind a lower Standby time that much, but as it stands the devices all take a while to get going after you turn them completely off and that makes it vitally important to me that you can leave it on 24/7 without fear of discovering that it ran out of juice just lying there doing nothing...

You keep forgetting that I don't graze through my ebooks. I'm in a situation where I can read continuously for 8-12 hours per day. And I'm flipping pages fast enough to get through a 1,200 page (Georgia font, about 14pt) book inside of 10 hours. That's a hell of a lot of page flips per day! Now on the few occasions when I could restrain myself from reading, say by leaving the Cybook on overnight, the power drain was not measurable during that time.

So I'd say that an *average* reader, who leaves the Cybook on all the time, with spurts of reading between 30 minutes and 45 minutes at a stretch, maybe two-three hours per day, will probably see two weeks of battery life easy.

Derek
Old 11-03-2007, 01:19 PM   #14
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
So what is the boot time for the Cybook? I notice that it is not mentioned on the web site...
You must remember there's no 'resume from sleep' mode similar to what the Sony offers. When the Cybook resumes, it comes up from a cold start - every time!!! Off is OFF!!! If the screen is *blank* the Cybook is OFF!

Thus, it does a full boot every single time and that means it takes a few seconds (I counted 18 seconds!) to get back to the Library upon start-up. That's right, unlike the Sony, when you're starting from a 'blank-screen' *off* state, it *always* boots to the Library! Now it's nice enough to position itself at the currently (last used) file, but you have to then re-enter the ebook.

However, given that the Cybook draws so little power when it's just *sitting* there, there's no real reason to not leave the power on and keep the ebook open if you're going to be not reading for a while.

Derek
Old 11-03-2007, 06:42 PM   #15
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Good to hear that the Cybook is improving in terms of Bettery Life. If it manages two weeks of "Standby" with Firmware 1.00 it might even be able to rival the Sony Reader sometime. I based my comparison on your statents from the original "mini-review" and on my own STAReBOOK experience.

A booting time of 18 seconds is quite OK, maybe some tweaking there could also still improve that. I remember that my STAReBOOK booted a lot faster than the Iliad, but I don't remember the exact time it took to go from full-off to library.
If you take the Cybook in it's 1.00 state and add the feature of "return to last-read book on bootup" that they Iliad now sports, then It's a lot closer to ideal in my opinion. The Sony Reader still leads in that field, but the advantage is getting smaller.
With two weeks of "always-on" battery life I could extend that to almost 4 weeks by switching the device off over night.
It's almost a pity that I'm waiting for the Kindle...

UPDATE: I just timed the booting time of the STAReBOOK and it seems to be almost exactly 18 seconds...^^
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote