Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-20-2016, 09:54 PM   #1
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
kindlegen auto create TOC from NCX?

Hi, I have an epub (one of many) with an NCX, but after converting with kindlegen, it had no TOC.
I read a little and now I realize they are separate things, I have to give the epub a TOC.html.

But I read this on the wiki - https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...F7_differences

"KF8 books can be built using the ePub NCX to generate a TOC the KF7 version requires a TOC.html file be present in the document or no TOC will be present in the eBook."

So now I am confused.
If what the wiki says is true, only the KF8 format will have the TOC, not the older mobi/prc format? (Both types will be present in my kindlegen outputted .mobi)

thanks
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:49 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxczxc View Post
Hi, I have an epub (one of many) with an NCX, but after converting with kindlegen, it had no TOC.
I read a little and now I realize they are separate things, I have to give the epub a TOC.html.

But I read this on the wiki - https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...F7_differences

"KF8 books can be built using the ePub NCX to generate a TOC the KF7 version requires a TOC.html file be present in the document or no TOC will be present in the eBook."

So now I am confused.
If what the wiki says is true, only the KF8 format will have the TOC, not the older mobi/prc format? (Both types will be present in my kindlegen outputted .mobi)

thanks
The NCX TOC will work on KF8 as a TOC but will not produce an inline (.html) TOC. An inline TOC is required for KF7 and will be displayed if you choose TOC and also in its place in the document. If you build an inline TOC and just include it then it will be displayed in both books.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:54 AM   #3
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The NCX TOC will work on KF8 as a TOC but will not produce an inline (.html) TOC. An inline TOC is required for KF7 and will be displayed if you choose TOC and also in its place in the document. If you build an inline TOC and just include it then it will be displayed in both books.

Dale
Thanks Dale for the reply and help.

You say for KF8 the NCX will work as a TOC, but when I open my KF8 book in Kindle Previewer, there is no TOC displayed (I can see the NCX view).

Actually I just now sideloaded the file to my PW... and the TOC appears - as in I can click on 'Go To'! So for KF8 the TOC in the menu can be read from an NCX file... excellent.
It would be good if Kindle Previewer would have said this or it was more obvious, no big problem though

I don't want the books in .mobi/prc/kf7/old style format, these books are in Japanese and I believe before kf8 (epub3) - Japanese/vertical text was not supported by kindles.

Thanks!
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:38 PM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxczxc View Post
Thanks Dale for the reply and help.

You say for KF8 the NCX will work as a TOC, but when I open my KF8 book in Kindle Previewer, there is no TOC displayed (I can see the NCX view).

Actually I just now sideloaded the file to my PW... and the TOC appears - as in I can click on 'Go To'! So for KF8 the TOC in the menu can be read from an NCX file... excellent.
It would be good if Kindle Previewer would have said this or it was more obvious, no big problem though

I don't want the books in .mobi/prc/kf7/old style format, these books are in Japanese and I believe before kf8 (epub3) - Japanese/vertical text was not supported by kindles.

Thanks!
As long as you are not selling them, you'll be fine using the ncx as the TOC. If you plan to sell them, Amazon's rules are clear: you must add the toc.html, as well.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:44 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Kindlegen does not convert the NCX to an HTML ToC.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:56 AM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Kindlegen does not convert the NCX to an HTML ToC.
Jon, dear, I think you're late to this party--I think we covered this upthread somewhere, didn't we? (Or, I am just daft. Take your pick).

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote