Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-09-2014, 04:56 AM   #1
1v4n0
Groupie
1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: kindle
Analytical index in epub books

Hello guys.

Anyone knows a way of "easily" adding an analytical index to an epub? That is, an index that lists for example the names of all the people it mentioned, and links them to each occurrence of that name. Of course one can use the "search" feature of the reader/SW, but a clickable index is a nice plus.

The thing to do is look for each word and insert an anchor with an ID, such as

Code:
she met this girl named <a id="01">Lou</a>
which would require something like this in the index
Code:
<p>Lou: <a href="../Text/Lizaandlouise_01.html#01">1</a></p>
The IDs have to differ if they are in the same html file, otherwise it is not necessary.

Of course this is next to impossible to do manually on a book of normal length.

So, yeah, is there a way to do it automatically, or anyway without so much effort? I think there might be one, because some epubs do have this feature. Maybe some scripting? From the vague notions I got of javascript I feel it might help, but I got no idea how.

Thanks

EDIT I found this question, which might get me a bit closer to the solution, except I don't have sublimetext (only calibre and N++)

Last edited by 1v4n0; 10-09-2014 at 05:17 AM.
1v4n0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:59 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1v4n0 View Post
Anyone knows a way of "easily" adding an analytical index to an epub? That is, an index that lists for example the names of all the people it mentioned, and links them to each occurrence of that name. Of course one can use the "search" feature of the reader/SW, but a clickable index is a nice plus.
Sigil has an automatic index feature:

1. Select Tools > Index > Index Editor.
2. Click Add Entry, enter a name and then click Save and Close.
(You can also paste a line-break separated list of names from the clipboard.)
3. Select Tools > Index > Create Index.

For more information on advanced Sigil indexing features see the Indexes help topic.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:40 AM   #3
1v4n0
Groupie
1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: kindle
woa, cool. Good think I hadn't set up to create one manually.
1v4n0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, index, script