Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-25-2014, 05:40 PM   #1006
Nefan
Nefan began at the beginning.

Device: None
Kindle Paperwhite 2

Thank you for sharing this application.

I want to buy an e-reader but I hesitate a lot because in want it to read PDFs, more or them, scientific papers. (and no, i don't want a tablet).

After watching a lot of videos and reading forums, finally the kindlepdfviwer you developed seems to me the best current option.

But, before buying my e-reader, i just wanted to know if the KPV works on the new kindle paperwhite 2 or if will work soon for this version of kindle.

Thanks for your advice!. (and sorry if you already answered my question, I searched on this topic but i did not find anything about it... )
Nefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:29 PM   #1007
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209276
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:19 AM   #1008
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by lealgo View Post
Hello:
I'm using kpdfviewer 2013.1. Is there any way I can update the library libk2pdfopt.so.1 with a newer one like the one that comes with koreader?
Thank you.
What benefits would you have, I wonder. ?
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:49 PM   #1009
dracodoc
Connoisseur
dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DXG, Sony T1
I found a bug with bookmark jumping in epub, it is quite annoying:

https://github.com/koreader/kindlepdfviewer/issues/856
dracodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:07 AM   #1010
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm thinking of going into uncharted territory iwith my Kindle DX-G:

Should I start with launchpad or Kite?

Any advice, help, or bricks need to be thrown my way, please.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:40 AM   #1011
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you have a reason to not use KUAL ?

KUAL is intended for all Kindle devices, **except** the original K1.

Last edited by knc1; 07-29-2014 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:27 AM   #1012
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Do you have a reason to not use KUAL ?

KUAL is intended for all Kindle devices, **except** the original K1.

I have to plead complete ignorance on all of this, as I have not kept up with any of it.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:49 AM   #1013
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Bit biased here, obviously, but, yeah, KUAL has a couple of advantages (as knc1 mentioned, portability, plus it's actively maintained, and despite a completely different design from kite or launchpad, I'd say it's more powerful) .

Anyway, after that bit of marketing done (;p), what are your goals exactly, so we can steer you in the right direction? (You're welcome to checkout the 'Where Do I Start' sticky to give you an idea of what to expect).

Err, that said, since you're in the KPV thread, I'm guessing KPV? .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:36 PM   #1014
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

First, thanks to all who have responded.

Briefly:

I wish only to have better control (viewing options) when reading PDFs.

I also do not wish to compromise the mobi viewing, which I'm very happy with on this device.

Thanks!

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-29-2014 at 02:50 PM. Reason: changed epub to mobi
Old 07-29-2014, 01:56 PM   #1015
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
KPV hasn't been updated in a year, because the focus moved to KOReader, so there might be some bumps on the road.

https://github.com/koreader/koreader...allation-Guide
And the first post of this thread should cover it.

The latest nighly build *should* ship with a KUAL extension. If it doesn't, grab a koreader Kindle nightly and pilfer the extensions folder from there, the script is completely backwards-compatible (unless I messed up :x).

EDIT: No, don't do that, while the KOReader extensions does handle legacy devices, it's not exactly made for KPV, so it won't work without minor tweaks. (mostly fixing the paths).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-31-2014 at 11:31 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:50 PM   #1016
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

CORRECTION: I actually meant mobi files and NOT epub files, from my post above.

Now corrected.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:03 PM   #1017
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
CORRECTION: I actually meant mobi files and NOT epub files, from my post above.

Now corrected.
It was pretty obvious, because Kindle DX can read epub only after installation of kindlepdfviewer or another third party app.

There is no reason to worry about mobi functionality because you should first leave kindlepdfviewer (takes just a couple of seconds) getting back to native mobi/pdf reader.

Here is installation procedure (using launchpad) probably a little better explained for novices.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190641

Don't unzip kindlepdfviewer file in step 3.

Download links:

jailbreak
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...88&postcount=1
launchpad
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...60&postcount=1
kpv
https://github.com/koreader/kindlepd.../wiki/Download

Later, if you want, you can also (as I did) install Liberator(another version), and use it simultaneously with already installed basic kindlepdfviewer thereon, without any issues I guess.

Last edited by markom; 07-30-2014 at 07:22 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:19 PM   #1018
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks for the above, but I'm having difficulty finding the specific jailbreak for the Kindle DX-G, running system 2.5.8

Also, if disaster strikes (or if I decide to completely revert back to a 'clean' 2.5.8 system, will there be any difficulty in doing so?

Thanks.

ADDED: I think I found it. Is this the name of the file for the Kindle DX-G:

kindle-jailbreak-0.11.N.zip file

I now see that this is the one. Do I also install [add] the 'uninstall' .bin file, as well?

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-30-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:28 PM   #1019
knc1
Going Viral

Close.
But close only counts in horseshoes, nuclear weapons and Windows.

- - - -

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...88&postcount=1
The second attachment.

Which is a *.zip archive.

Open the archive and inside find files with names like:
Update_jailbreak_0.12.N_dxg_install.bin
Update_jailbreak_0.12.N_dxg_uninstall.bin

Put **Only One** Update_*.bin file on the device at a time.

Also _dx_ and _dxi_ filenames.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:29 PM   #1020
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

If my posts are interfering with this thread, please let me know and I'll gather mine and the replies to a new thread.

Don
(Moderator)