Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Apple delaying iPhone 5S due to switch in screen size? (4.3" ??)

--->>> Over at CNET today.

Whacky iPhone 5S rumor? A report claims Apple is delaying release of the iPhone 5S due to a screen-size specification change.
Brooke Crothers
July 16, 2013 11:45 PM PDT

"Has Apple decided mid-stream to change the iPhone 5S screen size?

Put this in the radical rumor file. Apple has decided to delay the iPhone 5S in order to switch to a larger screen size, say Asia-sourced reports.

Apple will delay the release of the iPhone 5S in order to give it time to make a switch to a larger screen size, according to a report from BrightWire News, citing sources at suppliers. Commercial Times, via Bloomberg, is also reporting the rumor.

Apple has decided to up the screen size from 4 inches to 4.3 inches, the report claimed.

"[Apple] halted processor production for [the] iPhone 5S in May," according to BrightWire news. That initial iPhone 5S design had a 4-inch screen.

The 5S was expected to hit the market in September or October but has been pushed back to the end of the year, both reports said.

Budget iPhones will be released by October, as expected. That design was not changed.

Large-screen phones with displays bigger than 4 inches are catching on fast. It's remotely possible that Apple believes it needs to respond to market demands more quickly.

Apple has not yet responded to a request for comment."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...n-screen-size/

Note that my Archos 43 has a 4.3 inch screen. Not as good as Apple's IPS retina, but I read on it all the time.

Last edited by frahse; 07-17-2013 at 07:30 PM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
4.3" is a nice size but small by today's standards. My qHD 4.3" EVO is my main reading device. I'd like my next phone to be a bit bigger.

If true, a last minute delay to move to a size the competition had great success with three years ago would seem to indicate some internal issues at Apple.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I think my next phone is going to be the S4 mini I've seen a comparison between it the S4 and S3. Of course the S4 wins easily but benchmark wise the Mini actually beats the S3 is also 4.3" screen size which I like and still has some of the goodies like the IR remote.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
If people want bigger screens, then maybe they should make iPad Mini's with a phone in them... Seriously, I have a 4S, and that's plenty big enough for me to use it for what it is: A PHONE. Any bigger and it's hard to just shove it in a jean pocket, etc... I'm not carrying a separate bag around just for my phone-computer!
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
If people want bigger screens, then maybe they should make iPad Mini's with a phone in them... Seriously, I have a 4S, and that's plenty big enough for me to use it for what it is: A PHONE. Any bigger and it's hard to just shove it in a jean pocket, etc... I'm not carrying a separate bag around just for my phone-computer!
Yeah... I don't get these tablet sized phones. My 4S is the perfect size, IMO.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:57 PM   #6
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I also have the 4S and love it, but I would not want one any larger.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:44 AM   #7
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
I have an LG Google Nexus 4. It's 4.7 inch.

That is the ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM I'm willing to go. I'll refuse to buy anything bigger. This time, I did it because I wanted a Nexus phone, but next time, I'll take a look at the 4.3 or even 4 inch models, even if they're not Nexus phones and even if they're not high-end.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #8
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
No reason to believe this rumor. There is no way Apple would make that type of decision at the last minute. Apple also thinks about systems. As in...it's a big deal to have to redesign to support multiple screen sizes. Ergo the retina screens were exactly double the pixels (per dimension) so that all the apps would look and work the same. The iPad mini was not 7", but the exact size needed to run the same iPad apps, all of them, that already existed.

The iPhone 5 did change this with a screen a little taller, and they just did that last year. Do not see them repeating. The opposite is likely to be true. Rather than continuing to sell the 4S as the cheap iPhone when the next is released, they will release a new budget iPhone with a 4" screen so that all currently selling iPhones will have the same screen size
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #9
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I just got a HTC One with a 4.7 inch screen. While very nice, I'm finding it isn't as easy to use one handed as my iPhone 4S was. A 4.3 inch screen would be perfect for me.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #10
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I just got a HTC One with a 4.7 inch screen. While very nice, I'm finding it isn't as easy to use one handed as my iPhone 4S was. A 4.3 inch screen would be perfect for me.
"Different bites for different likes."

-->> Different phone sizes for different hands, for different uses.

Especially with voice calling, 1 button dialing, etc., the size of the phone doesn't matter so much. Small or large!

What matters is the ability to "browse!" It is easier to browse with a larger screen.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #11
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I'm hoping the screen is bigger - I'm holding on to my iPhone 3GS until Maxi iPhone is released. I rarely make calls, but I text, browse and read email all the time and don't want to carry around something quite the size of the mini. I don't care about pockets, I have a bag.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #12
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Funny how 3.5" was the perfect phone size, until the 4" iphone came out. Despite Jobs' comments that 3.5" was the ideal size, apple were quick with their commercials that 4" was the perfect size when the 5 came out. It's funny to see how they spin things, just like the larger tablet was the only possible size people would want...

As far as I'm concerned, 4" is too small. My current phone has a 4.8" screen, and I'll probably go larger for next.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #13
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I'm hoping the screen is bigger - I'm holding on to my iPhone 3GS until Maxi iPhone is released. I rarely make calls, but I text, browse and read email all the time and don't want to carry around something quite the size of the mini. I don't care about pockets, I have a bag.
I carry a small backpack. Though it has straps, it is usually in my hand. That way, it doesn't get confused with a French "man purse."
Old 07-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
My phone has a 2.2" display - works for me
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #15
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Funny how 3.5" was the perfect phone size, until the 4" iphone came out. Despite Jobs' comments that 3.5" was the ideal size, apple were quick with their commercials that 4" was the perfect size when the 5 came out. It's funny to see how they spin things, just like the larger tablet was the only possible size people would want...

As far as I'm concerned, 4" is too small. My current phone has a 4.8" screen, and I'll probably go larger for next.
Funny, this weekend, I stayed in the car while my wife perused wood floors in Home Depot. I was looking at her iPod which I had given her a few years ago, to figure out a question she had asked about note taking.
That thing is, was, and is still only "3.5." By the way, Home Depot has great WiFi reception out in the parking lot.

God, it just seemed so small! The whole world seems to have increased in size but those old 3.5" iconic screens are like those old T Models with just enough room for someone to sit down.

And just in 3 or so years.

I must say though, that this very day, Thursday, she is getting a Acer Chromebook with the 11.6" screen. (the 4GB one which is finally available from Amazon for only $219) She said she wanted to try a smaller more portable size that she didn't have to worry so much about and use it for a second laptop for non business. I offered to scout out an ultrabook for her but she said that I had been talking about Chromebooks for a year and she wanted to see what they were about.