Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-20-2008, 09:26 PM   #1
mrsonyreader
eBook Enthusiast
mrsonyreader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader (PRS-505)
Bricked...

Hey,

I have a 2-day old Sony PRS-505 which has been bricked already . I attempted to apply the Chinese font hack yesterday. I got the clock, but no Chinese fonts. So I re-applied the hack, then again, then when rebooting, it's saying 'Starting up...', then again, then again, indefinitely. I tried the hard reset (press reset then turn on, then immediately press both MARK and VOL+) I left it like that for 6 hours then it apparently died, only to plug it in and enter the same loop. I've already tried the '10 reset' and hard reset numerous times. It's recognized by the computer by both eBook software and computer, though.

Thanks!
mrsonyreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:14 PM   #2
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsonyreader View Post
Hey,

I have a 2-day old Sony PRS-505 which has been bricked already . I attempted to apply the Chinese font hack yesterday. I got the clock, but no Chinese fonts. So I re-applied the hack, then again, then when rebooting, it's saying 'Starting up...', then again, then again, indefinitely. I tried the hard reset (press reset then turn on, then immediately press both MARK and VOL+) I left it like that for 6 hours then it apparently died, only to plug it in and enter the same loop. I've already tried the '10 reset' and hard reset numerous times. It's recognized by the computer by both eBook software and computer, though.

Thanks!
If it's recognized by your PC, you should be able to re-flash with the latest firmware from Sony.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:27 PM   #3
mrsonyreader
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by induna View Post
If it's recognized by your PC, you should be able to re-flash with the latest firmware from Sony.
It says 'This PRS-505 is already up-to-date', unfortunately. I've actually already tried that Thanks though. Any other ideas, before shipping it back to the USA?

Last edited by mrsonyreader; 08-20-2008 at 11:35 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:55 AM   #4
mrsonyreader
eBook Enthusiast

Please, people, I'm getting desperate...

EDIT: Ah. Trying this now, same problem as me: try to flash Chinese, stuck indefinitely at Start up screen, hope it works for me...
EDIT2: Nope, doesn't work.

Last edited by mrsonyreader; 08-21-2008 at 03:30 AM.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:58 AM   #5
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsonyreader View Post
Please, people, I'm getting desperate...
If your Reader will autorun an SD card, the easy solution is to run Igorsk's Universal Flasher and wipe your current firmware. Run the Flasher, choosing option 7. Then, run the Sony Updater. You can get the Universal Flasher by clicking the link in my sig.

Otherwise uncompress the Sony Updater (it's really a big zip file) and change the file prs505/eBookUpdater/assets/updaterAssets/PRSVersion.dat so that 110018040 reads 110018041 - once that's done, the Sony Updater work at any time.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:21 AM   #6
mrsonyreader
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
If your Reader will autorun an SD card, the easy solution is to run Igorsk's Universal Flasher and wipe your current firmware. Run the Flasher, choosing option 7. Then, run the Sony Updater. You can get the Universal Flasher by clicking the link in my sig.

Otherwise uncompress the Sony Updater (it's really a big zip file) and change the file prs505/eBookUpdater/assets/updaterAssets/PRSVersion.dat so that 110018040 reads 110018041 - once that's done, the Sony Updater work at any time.
Nope, my Reader won't even get to the menu, so Igorsk's UF won't/doesn't work. Do I use WinRAR to uncompress 'PRS-505 Updater 1.1.00.18040.exe', then open the .dat in notepad? EDIT: ARRGGGHHHHH, it simply says 'it is not a valid win32 application'. Something to do with me in Vista? I'm already running as admin with WinXP SP2 compatibility... Would you mind editing the file for me and uploading it to Rapidshare or something? That would be great!

Anyone? PLEASE...

EDIT3: My bad, my bad, you uncompress it, change the DAT, and run the exe INSIDE the uncompressed exe (folder) Now 'updating'... hope it works!!! Thanks a lot dude!

EDIT4: THANKS! It's working again, thanks to JeffElkin's Updater edit!

Mods feel free to delete this thread, or keep it in case someone else has the same problem.

Last edited by mrsonyreader; 08-21-2008 at 04:07 AM.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:02 AM   #7
sebastius
sebastius began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Dude, relax. Settle down, breathe.

First things first. Download the updater application.

Then open the application with WinRar or WinZip and extract everything to a folder.

Then find the file prs505/eBookUpdater/assets/updaterAssets/PRSVersion.dat

Richt click it. Choose 'Open'. When asked, choose Notepad.

Edit the number, so 110018040 reads 110018041

Then close Notepad and choose to save.

Then start the flash application, PRS505Updater.exe, should work no problemo.

When having further troubles, post screenshots and photo's, so we can help you properly.
sebastius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:08 AM   #8
mrsonyreader
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastius View Post
Dude, relax. Settle down, breathe.

First things first. Download the updater application.

Then open the application with WinRar or WinZip and extract everything to a folder.

Then find the file prs505/eBookUpdater/assets/updaterAssets/PRSVersion.dat

Richt click it. Choose 'Open'. When asked, choose Notepad.

Edit the number, so 110018040 reads 110018041

Then close Notepad and choose to save.

Then start the flash application, PRS505Updater.exe, should work no problemo.

When having further troubles, post screenshots and photo's, so we can help you properly.
Heh, sorry for my attitude, was sorta getting scared. Fixed the problem about one second after you posted. anyways!
Old 08-21-2008, 04:26 AM   #9
sebastius
sebastius began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Okay, have fun reading on!
sebastius is offline   Reply With Quote