Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 07-15-2011, 03:24 PM   #76
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Originally Posted by tubemonkey
I'm available to be added to anyone's ignore list - day or night

Already done...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:00 PM   #77
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Originally Posted by tubemonkey

Already done...
I know
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:30 PM   #78
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Wow, just noticed sigs aren't even blocked when you ignore a user. That's a bigger hole in the system than subsequent quotes, if you ask me.

Since mobileread moderation relies on the ignore system so heavily, it'd be great to see an upgrade.

Edit: I've tried this greasemonkey script in chrome, and it works well enough, excluding both the complete post, avatar and sig in all and excluding those posts that quote it (in full, not just the quoted portion). Just have to put https://www.mobileread.com/forums/* in the @Include line and add the user names under var ignore_threads_from =. In chrome, you can save as *.user.js and then drag and drop the edited file into chrome to make it install.

Last edited by Marseille; 08-19-2011 at 06:48 PM. Reason: added greasemonkey link
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #79
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Me too.

I don't get it. If I don't like what someone says in real life I just shrug my shoulders in disagreement and life keeps moving. I don't try to make 'em disappear.

Some of the lengths that people in this thread are willing to go to to deal with opinions they dislike really make me wonder they do about neighbors and coworkers whose opinions they disagree with...

Maybe we could script that into a Law and Order episode.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:02 PM   #80
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Ignoring a username, or a thread, or an entire sub-forum isn't about making them disappear (which implies some action against the ignored) but is just a simple filtering of information to see that which you wish to see, whether to decrease personal frustrations and bugbears, to increase volume (ratio) of information relevant to you, or to "follow" topics of most interest. Within the limitations of the forum software, Alex has tried to enable as many filtering options as he can to allow personal customization of experience for maximum benefit & pleasure and least frustration. Ignoring something, filtering it out, is a passive means of doing something, and we all do it regularly (even subscribing to MobileRead is filtering your attention towards a preference).

Everybody is different, and has different means and requirements and assets and time to put towards the filtering of information. Things like ignore-filters are methods of increasing that. For instance we know many people find the fact that the Politics & Religion forum is "sandboxed" (invisible unless you join its Group) to be a fair means of dealing with those typically controversial subjects while not outright preventing them - it works (or seems to) for the maximum number of people's satisfaction, those interested in those topics, and those definitely not.

Ideally the extension-and-script solution David Marseilles talks about above (thanks for that, David - it all helps) could be implemented at a forum software level, but at this stage it isn't (and I don't know whether it is possible, at either a technical or resource allocation level, or...). In the same way that actively telling people you are ignoring them can ironically turn a passive solution for yourself into an active attempt to personally attack them, so can telling people that make use of the filtering abilities of Ignore functions for users, sub-forums and threads that they lack some essential ability (when in fact they are making use of solutions that try to personalise themselves to the inately and delightfully individual personality, character, emotions, interests & circumstance of each user).

The Ignore function could always be better (if only there was a way to filter out all copyright discussions... ), and suggestions on improving it, whether through MR or via external means as David suggests, are always welcome. But the motivations behind the presence and use of the tools are too broad and individual to make sweeping statements about its necessity.

In the end Ignore would never at all be necessary except for information-filtering, all Guidelines would always be followed (particularly the one about politeness), and we'd all get along in comfortable agreement like a coterie of Care Bears. But that's not the way things are, but only how we can try to be. So in the ragged gap there are lubricating features. Encouragement in their use is, I think, a constructive step.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:05 PM   #81
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Some of the lengths that people in this thread are willing to go to to deal with opinions they dislike really make me wonder they do about neighbors and coworkers whose opinions they disagree with...
For me... I've only got one person on ignore and it isn't about opinions I disagree with. It's a one-note charlie who doesn't add anything to most discussions and after the 10th or 20th repeat of his/her bizarre view of the world, it was time to ignore.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:43 PM   #82
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
A few notes about the greasemonkey script, it does take a second to come into effect on my browser (the newest stable chrome) so there is a flicker right when a page first loads, but it could behave differently between different chrome versions (stable vs. canary for example) and firefox. Also, I believe that the script claims to ignore threads by listed users as well, but it does not do so for me, and I'm glad, I like to know what threads are present. This too could vary between browsers (and perhaps even forum themes?).

Just a warning in case anyone is considering trying it. If someone does use it on firefox, I'd love to know how well it performs.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:35 PM   #83
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Ignoring a username, or a thread, or an entire sub-forum isn't about making them disappear (which implies some action against the ignored) but is just a simple filtering of information to see that which you wish to see,

I guess we all have our different ways of seeing the world, but it seems to me that you just said the same thing that I did in my post.

I passively filter information when I skip over a thread. Making it disappear, going to lengths to make it disappear -- means taking overt action against a person and their ideas and opinions. Call it filtering or call it disappearing -- it's all the same.

I live and let live. I like variety and respect others rights to hold and express opinions different from mine. And I'm sure that you do too. I've been a mod on other forums and you can't do it justice unless you're willing to wade through all the opinions of all the different posters.

Last edited by RockdaMan; 08-22-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:49 PM   #84
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
excluding both the complete post, avatar and sig in all and excluding those posts that quote it (in full, not just the quoted portion).
Doesn't that leave one with a disjointed view of the thread?

That the thread takes a turn in a certain direction and you miss the two, three four or five posts where it pivots so that you're like'whoa, what happened?'

No thanks. Does it edit out threads that ignored members started too?
Old 08-23-2011, 12:56 AM   #85
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I guess we all have our different ways of seeing the world, but it seems to me that you just said the same thing that I did in my post.
I did, but not in the way you imply. You say that you "just shrug my shoulders in disagreement and life keeps moving", and the Ignore function is a technical way of shrugging your shoulders (whether in disagreement or disinterest) and keep moving, filtering once for your own personal noise-information ratio. You said that you "don't get it", and so it is explained how because we not only all "have our different ways of seeing the world", but also our own personal limitations on time, preferences for receipt of information, interests, personalities, coping mechanisms, the Ignore functions can be useful feature for filtering to your desires.

Quote:
I passively filter information when I skip over a thread. Making it disappear, going to lengths to make it disappear -- means taking overt action against a person and their ideas and opinions. Call it filtering or call it disappearing -- it's all the same.
There are important semantics involved. You emphasise "overt action" above, but not the "against" part. The idea of "Ignore" and its similars is that it enables you to no longer see posts or threads or subforums you don't wish to see. From the point of view of the person or thread or subforum no longer being seen, no "action against" is perceived (unless, for example and as I specify, you ironically make it a point of pointing out who you're pointedly ignoring, which becomes an overt action against them).

As I say, it is "all the same" in result, but the means enables customisation to an individuals circumstances, desires, personality, etc. And it is a non-obvious/public means of filtering someone's opinion, or a thread's content, or a sub-forum.

Quote:
I live and let live. I like variety and respect others rights to hold and express opinions different from mine. And I'm sure that you do too. I've been a mod on other forums and you can't do it justice unless you're willing to wade through all the opinions of all the different posters.
Then, if you do "live and let live", and you do "respect others rights to hold and express opinions different from mine", then that would seem to imply that you would actually be able to "get" why people make use of the Ignore function without resorting to an unrelated generalisation questioning their treatment of neighbours and workmates.

People have different needs, desires, personalities, psychologies, means of functioning socially, ways of filtering information, and so on, as you know from your experience being a mod on other forums. Much has been discussed elsewhere, for instance, on the differences between a small aspect of personality, introversion and extroversion, and how people with different tendencies along that scale related to each other. That there are tools that allow customisation for whatever reason in any forum (be it "Follow" in Twitter, or Ignore on forums, or subscriptions to preferred newsfeeds on news or other topics, or filters on incoming email) is the point I wished to make and which I hope you "get" from it, and that I hope you can see as a useful function for some for a variety of personal reasons even if it is not yourself that makes use of it.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:15 AM   #86
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
People have different... means of functioning socially
This rings true.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:44 AM   #87
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
First of all: RockdaMan, you evil genius, I thought it was tubemonkey, and I was confused for a moment when I read at the beginning of quotes: Originally Posted by RockdaMan. Good one!

And as far as the discussion goes: think of it as an addiction. The people who ignore others can't help themselves from responding to their posts, if they see them. So they just block them from view.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:00 AM   #88
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
I have limited time, limited energy. Once I've established that someone is almost never going to say anything I find useful or interesting, is never going to be worth my time to reply to--why bother seeing their words?

I don't take any effort to "make co-workers disappear," but there are people who, if they're talking, I avoid those conversations if I can. Here, I don't have to avoid the whole conversation; I really can selectively tune people out. It's one of the few communication options that the internet has that in-person situations doesn't.

In RL, of course, there's always the chance that even someone I find annoying or boring or bigoted might say something interesting or useful. Here, however, there's a number of other constraints--the forums have limited subject matter ("that bigoted jerk," whoever he or she may be, isn't going to recommend a local place for lunch that I'd enjoy), and people aren't sharing their entire selves. Which is reasonable, and I'm not blocking "all access from their entire selves;" I just don't want to hear what they have to say about ebooks.

If they have something useful to say to me, hey, I have a blog link in my signature.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote