Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-17-2011, 05:14 PM   #16
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
could you see what happens with your code AND use an epub with with a specific text-indent 0 in its main calibre style within the style sheet, to see if you get the same override issues as I did please.
I'll do this if I find some time and a good example, not going to go out of my way digging through my library on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
i don't have an intuitive sense of own an x% indent cxompares to a number of ems in dent. why, may i ask, do you prefer to use % settings , and are they mobi-compatible.
3% scales with the device - it looks like the expected 'typical' width on a kindle sized device, but if I'm using my mobile phone as a backup that same width is too much if specified in em - this way the indent on the phone is much smaller than the indent on the Sony and does the right thing for the screen real-estate.

I did a bit of testing to decide that .3 em of space seemed 'about right' to me. Didn't take a lot of effort - easier to use Sigil and ADE to quickly make/compare changes to a stylesheet, then feed that back into Calibre.

Last edited by ldolse; 02-17-2011 at 05:16 PM.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:41 AM   #17
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
thanks - don't bother testing the override "feature" as i blieve the posted explanation of cascading stylesheets rules covers it OK

new question. I'm stumpted on how to apply the indent & line spacing prefs in bulk.

i thought a 2 stage solution would work so I've backed up my library & then have converted all epub to epub with remove blank lines + set indent to 1em set in prefs.

I reckoned that would be a good 1st step & it has worked as expected.

for step 2, I was then hopeful that another epub to epub pass, this time with blank lines unchecked and with a short version of your prefs in my extra css
p {margin-top: 0.3em ; margin-bottom: 0.3em}
would do the trick, but it has not had any effect.

so i must be doing something wrong here, if it worked for you -?

maybe my step 1 ( remove line spaces) has stuffed the stylsheets with explicit zeros ? is that how "remove blank lines" works ?.

I think that is what has happened, so now it's like with the text-indent issue. the extra css will not override the stylesheet specifics, even with the !important tag

Last edited by cybmole; 02-18-2011 at 01:56 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:43 AM   #18
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
I never use the remove blank lines feature in Look and Feel - it's too big a hammer, and as you've noticed it can make things difficult later. I always use extra css alone, not sure why you need the two-step approach...
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:12 AM   #19
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
I never use the remove blank lines feature in Look and Feel - it's too big a hammer, and as you've noticed it can make things difficult later. I always use extra css alone, not sure why you need the two-step approach...
believe it not i thought 2 step would be safer i.e. it would get all my books to the same standard base line format ( which actually is usable as-is). then I'd take a snapshot backup & proceed with more tweaking.

it never occurred to me that step 2 would fail on me. i knew that some books had been hand-changed to have no indents & to have different line spacings as per my previous attempts to fins my ideal style so i thought let's get them all looking the same by standardizing the indent & taking out the blanks. ( also I knew that was reversible - via the add blank lines option )

I guess its time to accept it & move on, I can easily add the .3 em spacing to any book that I am about to start reading. I had a desire to retro apply it to books read to date but unless an enhancement to calibre is released to take care of it, that will have to wait. I cannot think of another slick way to bulk change all the books stylesheets, as there will be lots of calibre-nn & other styles in them.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote