Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-08-2012, 09:05 AM   #31
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I'd re-purchase and re-read if an ebook edition were available.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #32
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I really liked Ringworld. Ringworld Engineers was decent too, but the later ones didn't grab me.

Niven is a fantastic short story writer and I enjoyed his "known space" and other stories. His short stories on the effect on society on instant teleportation were very fun.

He also did some intriguing fantasy as well. "Not Long Before The End" and "What Good Is A Glass Dagger" about how magic was being used up in the world.

But my favourite of his books is his "Mote In God's Eye" with Jerry Pournelle.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:21 PM   #33
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusinesstutor View Post
But my favourite of his books is his "Mote In God's Eye" with Jerry Pournelle.
I liked Mote in God's Eye too.
It seems like most of my favorites were coauthored by Jerry Pournelle.
Lucifer's Hammer, Inferno and Footfall.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #34
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I liked Mote in God's Eye too.
It seems like most of my favorites were coauthored by Jerry Pournelle.
Lucifer's Hammer, Inferno and Footfall.
Apache
I like Niven's Flight of the Horse and the rest of the Svetz series. He really nailed his future, too; we're almost there.

I also like his Gil the Arm Hamilton stories and I'm happy he *didn't* nail that future.

I like all his Pournelle collaborations but I'm very fond of OATH OF FEALTY. Second only to Mote. (It is also something of a Rohrsach test: some people see his Todos Santos community as a Utopia and others as a dystopia. )

Last edited by fjtorres; 12-08-2012 at 06:30 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #35
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I read Ringworld a couple years ago and enjoyed it. There's a convention I go to here in Minnesota (CONvergence) and one of the rooms/gathering places is named Krushenkos, after the bar in the book.
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #36
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I learned from the Deals forum here that the Ringworld audio book was offered as a giveaway from Downpour.com recently, so I grabbed it. I enjoyed it, and am now in the middle of Ringworld Engineers, because there were a number of questions I wanted answers to, but I doubt I'll be compelled to put many other Ringworld books high on my TBR list.

One thing about the audiobook, if not for seeing it written earlier in this thread, I'd NEVER have realized that "Tanj" was an acronym!

And another thing about the Ringworld books:
Boy, those folks sure like their rishathra, don't they? Not that there's anything wrong with that....
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:46 PM   #37
KentE
...still a Zealot
KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pixi & PC
Okay, I'm a big Niven fan....
My favorite thing is that his books always seem to be based on an interesting "hard" science fiction premise, and logically build from there, but still goes into the character aspects, as well.
I love Ringworld. The cultural concepts of the Puppeteers is fascinating, to me. I, too, found some of the later in the series less than compelling.
My favorite Niven books are 2 of the mentioned that he co-wrote with Pournelle-- The Mote in God's Eye (which I consider one of the 10 must-read SF classics), and Lucifer's Hammer. Strangely, I tried reading Pournelle's solo books, convinced that I would find another author I loved, and really didn't like them at all. One of those cases when a collaboration works greater than the sum of it's parts, I guess.
I'll read anything I can run across by Niven, and re-read even my least favorites (well, except for 1, and I won't mention which, because it might be somebody else's cup of tea.)
KentE
KentE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:08 AM   #38
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentE View Post
I'll read anything I can run across by Niven, and re-read even my least favorites (well, except for 1, and I won't mention which, because it might be somebody else's cup of tea.)
KentE
Why? Nobody is going to track you down to kneecap you.
Your opinion matters as much as anybody's here.

Of Pournelle's solos, you might want to check out KING DAVID'S SPACESHIP. It comes closest to the tone of his collaboration with Niven.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:56 AM   #39
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I read Ringworld many years ago, and while it didn't originally grab me, and I had a hard time grasping it, it really stayed with me, and for that reason I grew to love it. I must go back and read it again.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:07 AM   #40
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Ringworld is one of my all-time favorites. Hugo, Nebula, and Locus award winner.
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote