Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-13-2009, 02:07 PM   #1
GJN
Guilty Bystander
GJN began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook Pro, Kindle, iPad, and other gadgets
Tools for Editing Kindle .mobi Files?

I have a number of unencrypted .mobi files that I've downloaded or converted from other formats and I'd like to do some simple editing on the files, such as correcting spelling errors or reformatting some sections with page skips or paragraph markers.

Are there any affordable tools (or even better free tools) I could use to clean up and display .mobi files? I'd prefer Mac tools but would be content with Windows. I'm sorry I don't do Linux (yet!).
GJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:45 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
There isn't something as simple as an editor unfortunately. You can use mobi2oeb, edit the HTML and then use oeb2mobi to get it into a Mobi file again. These are command line tools that install with Calibre.

We discussed it a bit here...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41298
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:47 AM   #3
NicolasR
Addict
NicolasR has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NicolasR has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NicolasR has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NicolasR has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NicolasR has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Hi !
Do you know where I can find mobi2oeb and oeb2mobi ? I cannot find them in my Calibre installation…
Thank you for the help.
NicolasR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:51 AM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
if you already have calibre then simply use it to convert from .mobi to whatever you wish to edit in: epub( with sigil), rtf ( with MS word)... then convert back to mobi. you can do this for any .mobi file in your calibre library.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:58 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
For simple fixes, I use mobiunpack (it has a drag 'n' drop Applescript wrapper)... tweak the html... then rebuild with kindlegen.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
For simple fixes, I use mobiunpack (it has a drag 'n' drop Applescript wrapper)... tweak the html... then rebuild with kindlegen.
Is that a MAC only program? I see it uses Applescript.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Is that a MAC only program? I see it uses Applescript.
No. It's a cross platform python script. It just has an Applescript wrapper to make life drag 'n' drop for apple users. The script itself still functions normally from the command-line for other OS's
Old 10-07-2011, 01:45 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I use Calibre. I convert to htmlz then open the zip and inside is the html file. I open that with Word 2003 for editing. If the coding needs fixing up I just use my line editor for that.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:32 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

It would be terrific if there was a Sigil-like program for mobi. Unfortunately sigil only works for ePub. But I usually deDRM my Kindle books anyway, so if I need to modify one I convert it to ePub via calibre then edit it in Sigil then convert it back into mobi via calibre. Sigil is great in that it doesn't create all that convoluted CSS crap that calibre does, so it is my favorite ePub modifier.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It would be terrific if there was a Sigil-like program for mobi.
The problem is that a mobi book is a binary database file that must be built from its html source. Epub is source that's zipped up. A binary mobi file editor would be a fairly large undertaking (especially since there are still a few mysteries being slowly revealed about the proprietary format). It's much easier to convert... fix... and reconvert than it would be to code a wysiwyg binary mobi editor. And frankly... the end result wouldn't be any (OK... much) different anyway.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:49 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The problem is that a mobi book is a binary database file that must be built from its html source. Epub is source that's zipped up. A binary mobi file editor would be a fairly large undertaking (especially since there are still a few mysteries being slowly revealed about the proprietary format). It's much easier to convert... fix... and reconvert than it would be to code a wysiwyg binary mobi editor. And frankly... the end result wouldn't be any (OK... much) different anyway.
It's just easier to convert to another format and edit. I don't mind the Calibre code. It how it looks and reads on the reader that counts. I don't care for Sigil it's a little slow but I have used it once or twice. I like using Word 2003 cause I edit pretty quickly what I need with my Macros I made.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:52 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It's just easier to convert to another format and edit.
I completely agree.
And it appears most developers feel the same way, too.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:56 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Convert to ePub, edit the ePub then convert back to Mobi. That way, you'll also have an ePub version. Best of both worlds.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:11 PM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Convert to ePub, edit the ePub then convert back to Mobi. That way, you'll also have an ePub version. Best of both worlds.
I just use html and make both epub and mobi in Calibre. I am picky on how it should look. I have to have all chapter headings marked, a working TOC, indentation and a blank line under every paragraph.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:25 PM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I just use html and make both epub and mobi in Calibre. I am picky on how it should look. I have to have all chapter headings marked, a working TOC, indentation and a blank line under every paragraph.
I hate that so many publishers/authors build their eBooks without using the basic standard HTML tags. Instead of using H1, H2, H3 many use a P tag with a gosh-awful CSS class call out. HELLO, that makes autocreation of TOCs a no go!! I personally like a minimalist approach to CSS within eBooks. If I have to modify a book, the first thing I do is strip out all the garbage from the CSS file. No need to remove the CSS classes and what not from each HTML file as it will be ignored if it cannot be found in the CSS file. Next I make sure each chapter/section heading has an H1 or H2 tag. If it is not to much work I also make sure all subheadings have a heading tag as well. It usually isn't too time consuming, but some publishers seem to use a different class for every subheading (within the same level) making a search replace impossible. Idiots!

Tags
mobi2mobi