Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-09-2009, 12:50 PM   #1
tmgplc
Enthusiast
tmgplc began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, Kindle Fire 7" (2014)
BN Reader & epub

Hello,

I am sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I am using BN Reader on my blackberry and have a few epub files from Shortcovers. Will they work on my blackberry BN reader? Do you know of any reason they shouldn't?

Thanks,
tmgplc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
B&N Reader apps currently only read eReader ebooks. The Nook is their first device to support ePub as well.

Shortcovers has its own BlackBerry reading app, which should be able to download and read your titles from them.

Calibre can convert DRM-free ePub to eReader. If your ebooks have DRM (encryption), see Adobe ADEPT DRM for EPUB circumvented. Note that stripping DRM from ebooks you bought for personal use is probably legal in the US (for example).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #3
qpid360
e-reading :)
qpid360 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Pocket Edition, Barnes & Noble nook
So if I buy an ePub format book for my Sony Reader, can I transfer that file to my nook somehow?
qpid360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:12 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qpid360 View Post
So if I buy an ePub format book for my Sony Reader, can I transfer that file to my nook somehow?
Yes. Authorize the Nook to your AdobeID and then copy the ebook over using USB, either manually or within Adobe Digital Editions.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:09 PM   #5
qpid360
e-reading :)
qpid360 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Pocket Edition, Barnes & Noble nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Yes. Authorize the Nook to your AdobeID and then copy the ebook over using USB, either manually or within Adobe Digital Editions.
Even if said ePub is bought from the actual Sony eBook Store (as opposed to say, Fictionwise or another store)?

Sorry I'm not as savvy with this stuff.

Thanks
qpid360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:18 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by qpid360 View Post
Even if said ePub is bought from the actual Sony eBook Store (as opposed to say, Fictionwise or another store)?
We won't know for sure until the Sony Store switches over to ePub on Friday, however practically everyone is assuming this will work.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:25 PM   #7
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
We won't know for sure until the Sony Store switches over to ePub on Friday, however practically everyone is assuming this will work.
It will work.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:41 PM   #8
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
B&N Reader apps currently only read eReader ebooks. The Nook is their first device to support ePub as well.
The newest version of the B&N *iPhone* app says that it supports ePub. I haven't tested it yet though.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:12 PM   #9
slothrop
Enthusiast
slothrop began at the beginning.

Quote:
How can I "authorize" my nook to my AdobeID? There seems to be no options in the Adobe Digital Editions reader that will do this.
slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:57 PM   #10
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by slothrop View Post
How can I "authorize" my nook to my AdobeID? There seems to be no options in the Adobe Digital Editions reader that will do this.
From page 117 of the User Guide
Quote:
To authorize your nook for Adobe Digital Editions:
1 Start Adobe Digital Editions and then connect your nook to your computer, or connect your nook and then start Adobe Digital Editions.
2 Adobe Digital Editions detects your nook and displays the Device Setup Assistant.
3 Click Authorize Device.
4 Click Finished.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:18 PM   #11
slothrop
Enthusiast
slothrop began at the beginning.

Quote:
From page 117 of the User Guide
Thanks!

I authorized successfully (had to start ADE first before plugging in the nook as the reverse did not work).

But sharing DRM PDF between my ADE on Windows and the nook nonetheless is not working for me even though my nook is now authorized from ADE on Windows. For example, I copy a DRM PDF which opens fine on ADE on Windows over to "my documents" on the nook, but when I try to "read" it on the nook, I get the nook message "Sorry, unable to open this book"

Any ideas what else I can try?
slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:22 AM   #12
DaveNB
Connoisseur
DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770 (FBReader)
Moving Sony Reader ePubs over to the Nook

After a few hiccups, this is how I moved my Sony Reader purchased books (originally purchased as LRX format, now with the new Sony eBook store, they can be downloaded in protected ePub format) over to the Nook and got them to open.

(Note: I did this on a computer that didn't already have the Sony or Adobe software installed on it and didn't hook the Nook up until after ADE was installed, not sure if this makes a difference if you're having authorization problems, I suppose you could back up your existing libraries of books and uninstall/re-install Adobe Digital Editions).

1) Installed the new Sony Connect 3.1 software
2) Logged into my account in Sony Connect and went to the Account section.
3) Scroll down a bit and you'll see a link to re-download purchased books
4) Download your books, they should be in ePub format now, a couple of titles were not yet available for download, will try them again later. You can find them in this folder: My Documents/My Books/Reader Library
5) Install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE). DID NOT Authorize the computer after installing/running ADE for the first time.
6) Imported the books in the "Reader Library" folder above into ADE.
7) Checked to make sure I could open each book.
8) Plug in the Nook. It should show up in the left column of the ADE window.
9) Dragged the books from the main ADE library over to the Nook icon
10) Gracefully ejected the Nook via the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon down by the clock.
11) Updated the Nook's library via the "Check for new content" button.
12) The ePubs that ADE copied over should be showing up in your list, try opening one and it should just start working.

I think that's all the steps I went through, hope it works for you, good luck.

Table of Contents and links within the ePub do work on the Nook.

Dave
DaveNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:54 AM   #13
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Anyone else notice that books in my Purchased list we "Unavailable" for re-download? Examples:

The Keeper: Sarah Langan
Perdido Street Station: Keri Arthur
Serial: Jack Kilborn

I wonder if that is a temporary thing as they convert existing content to ePub, or if they won't ever be available.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:21 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Give Sony a call and find out about the unavailable content. I have some as well in my list.

Quote:
You can also call us at 877-263-2863 during the hours of:

9:00am - 11pm, EST; Monday - Friday and 11:00am - 6:00pm EST; Saturday and Sunday
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:08 AM   #15
DaveNB
Connoisseur
DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770 (FBReader)
Yes, there are still a few titles not yet available.

"Quicksilver" by Neal Stephenson wasn't yet available for download as of this morning, oddly enough though the other 2 books (books 2 + 3 in the series) "The Confusion" and "The System of the World" were available to re-download as ePub files.

It sure has been nice to be able to move my purchased Sony eBook store books over to the Nook. Didn't expect to be able to do that, thought I was out of luck and doomed to be stuck on one platform forever. Standards based file formats may be just the thing to increase eBook uptake.

Dave
DaveNB is offline   Reply With Quote