Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-07-2014, 03:34 PM   #1
manawydan
Connoisseur
manawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toys

Device: none
How to search for "&" in authors column?

I couldn't find it here or in the manual sorry if I missed it.

Calibre displays the authors column in FN LN format and if there are more than one author it is FN LN & fn ln (e.g. Harry Potter & Rachel Morgan & S. Stackhouse).

However I can't seem to be able to search for authors with more than one entry.

authors:&
authors:" & "
authors:"&"

and advanced searches similar to this show no results.

What do I miss?

Is it better to switch all & back to ; (if only I can find the entries with &)?
manawydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:49 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by manawydan View Post
I couldn't find it here or in the manual sorry if I missed it.

Calibre displays the authors column in FN LN format and if there are more than one author it is FN LN & fn ln (e.g. Harry Potter & Rachel Morgan & S. Stackhouse).

However I can't seem to be able to search for authors with more than one entry.

authors:&
authors:" & "
authors:"&"

and advanced searches similar to this show no results.

What do I miss?

Is it better to switch all & back to ; (if only I can find the entries with &)?
The & does not really exist. It represents multiple authors (1 record per Author in the DB)

search for: authors:Smith and authors:Jones
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2014, 03:52 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@manawydan - Perhaps one way to do it would be to create a custom column (#author_count) that used a template that counted the number of authors

Then you would search on author count > 1

But I'm not clever enough to tell you what the template would look like - at least not off the top of my head.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:00 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@manawydan - Perhaps one way to do it would be to create a custom column (#author_count) that used a template that counted the number of authors

Then you would search on author count > 1

But I'm not clever enough to tell you what the template would look like - at least not off the top of my head.

BR
Code:
authors:#>3
returns any book with 4+ authors
Old 02-07-2014, 04:07 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Quote:
Code:
authors:#>3
returns any book with
4+ authors

BR
Advert
Old 02-09-2014, 08:01 AM   #6
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
It would be useful to have a way to search for multiple authors on a table easily. I like to put all the authors of an anthology into author so I can see the anthologies an author has works in when I search on the author BUT it would be nice to have an editor column and have the save to disk use the editor when an editor is in the "editor" column.

I'm not sure how I would go about doing that though.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:24 AM   #7
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Use the authors field as usual, but manually change author_sort to "Edited by Ln, Fn". Use author_sort when saving to disk.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:37 AM   #8
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
Use the authors field as usual, but manually change author_sort to "Edited by Ln, Fn". Use author_sort when saving to disk.
That wouldn't work for having the anthology show up when I sort on the author. I title a was an anthology by x y z and edited by z then when I search on x it would not show up.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #9
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you search using the tag browser or the search bar, it would. Also only the first author shows up in the correct place when you sort on author using the normal conventions. So not much worse.

Another option is to have all anthologies in a separate library, perhaps virtual, to allow special handling.

Last edited by Adoby; 02-09-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:37 PM   #10
manawydan
Connoisseur
manawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
search for: authors:Smith and authors:Jones
Would not work if I do not know the authors' names.

A search with authors:#>1 works perfect, thank you.

At the moment it looks like keeping authors separated by ";" would be a better way since it's no problem to find the ; .

But - isn't it set somewhere in preferences which special character functions as "and"?

A little bit OT but not worth a new thread:
How to ask Calibre to display only entries with something missing?
Like the "authors without commas" option in quality check - what would be the expression for this?
I want to combine it with date (e.g. date:today).
manawydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:01 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manawydan View Post
But - isn't it set somewhere in preferences which special character functions as "and"?
Try Preferences->Tweaks>Splitting multiple author names

BR
Old 02-09-2014, 05:31 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Try Preferences->Tweaks>Splitting multiple author names

BR
That tweak affects the words to split UPON.
The & you see in the Library is not affected by that
Old 02-09-2014, 09:15 PM   #13
LadyKate
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post

If you search using the tag browser or the search bar, it would. Also only the first author shows up in the correct place when you sort on author using the normal conventions. So not much worse.

Another option is to have all anthologies in a separate library, perhaps virtual, to allow special handling.
I would be hesitant to try to maintain the author and author_sort fields with totally different information. Too much chance of loosing the list of authors for the anthologies some of which take a fair bit of time to type out lol.

I think my solution (personal solution) is to start slowly adding the editor to a new column "editedby" and at some point save the anthologies again.

After all, my library is fluid. Changing as my needs/ideas take form. That is what I like so much about using Calibre. My working as in take to reading device library is so easy to generate using Save to disk.

I just wish there was a way to save a list of useful save templates.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:28 AM   #14
Adoby
Handy Elephant

I fix ISBN, authors and author_sort (and title) when I add the book to calibre, the first time. Typically first ISBN, using the find ISBN-plugin, then download metadata. Then adjust title, authors and series information. After that neither change ever, unless I made a spelling error. Information from author can be used to update author_sort, but the other way I don't think is as easy. So whatever is as authors is isolated from what I write in author_sort. That is why it works so nice to have "Edited by" in the author_sort field. Makes it easy to see what books are anthologies.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:30 AM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

I simply hang a (ed) at the end of the authors name, Calibre does not copy that to author_sort

Martin H. Greenberg (ed)