Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-18-2013, 01:50 AM   #15961
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
eyelash mites !

You just had to give me even more reason to feel like something is crawling all over me, didn't you?

(I won't mention how many web pages I just read about those little mites)
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:52 AM   #15962
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
There are little bitty bugs that live their entire lives on our eyelashes. So small that they can move right under the skin where the lash emerges and go back inside again. And we never even know they are there! Everyone has 'em, and they do absolutely no harm at all.
For people who really do wish to know more in this vein, I highly recommend biology professor Roger M. Knutson's Furtive Fauna: A Field Guide to the Creatures Who Live On You, which has apparently made it to an e-book edition (I have it in paperback, along with Knutson's guide on identifying common North American animals by the shapes they leave as roadkill, which is also excellent).

As for me, I've been mostly reading books in order to find out if I want to get more books while they were still on sale.

Tia Nevitt's The Sevenfold Spell was part of her Accidental Enchantments series of fairy tale retellings out from Carina Press, and was a freebie a couple of times over the past few years, this one in particular based on the classic Sleeping Beauty tale.

This turned out to be considerably less romantic than I would have thought, and contained a fairly nifty plot underpinning addressing what would actually have happened if all the spindles (in this case, spinning wheels) in the kingdom were destroyed to protect the cursèd princess. As it turns out: a vast increase in the price of cloth which would need to be made using expensive imported thread, as well as substantial unemployment for a large number of womens' livelihoods, who would then have to consider turning to such things as sex-for-barter, in our heroine's case, at least until she can foment an alternate underground manufacturing plan.

It's nice to know that even in fairy tale kingdoms, the Marxist lesson about the importance of controlling the means of production leaks through into the multiverse.

Anyway, this contained some very funny moments and nicely-portrayed character growth of the non-traditional entrepreneurial heroine, and went in a mildly unexpected direction for me, as the usual cliché things I was expecting to happen (meets a handsome stranger who turns out to be true love, heroine immediately becomes a success and wins the admiration of all, etc.) didn't, and the usual tropes of fairy tales and romances were kind of turned over in a tongue-in-cheek way that fit well with the plot (though there was a happily ever after, eventually).

Recommended, if you happen to like humourous convention-defying fairy tale retellings which contain mildly erotic sex romps (non-explicit, but multiple partners until True Love is revealed) and an unexpected look at the socioeconomic reality of centring your public policy around fairy-laid curses (no seriously, they couldn't have just locked the single affected princess up in a tower and strip-searched with extreme prejudice any potential spindle-smuggling curse-fulfillers instead of wrecking a big chunk of their kingdom-wide peasant manufacturing base?! )

As a direct result of reading this freebie, I went on to purchase the 2nd in series, The Magic Mirror and the Seventh Dwarf, which was on sale as one of Carina Press' New Releases for $2.69 deals available on their website and price-matched elsewhere.

This turned out to be a far romantic rendition of the Snow White tale, with the twist of the dwarf being female, which was an interesting change.

Mild recommend. This was considerably more conventionally-told and thus had somewhat less appeal for me personally, though I still enjoyed reading it for the interesting look at the difficulties of "little people" finding suitable mates in an unhelpful narrative environment with certain deeply-ingrained physical expectations, and people who want more romantic focus might like it even more than the 1st. (It also contains less portrayed sex, for those who also prefer that.)

Myself, I just wanted to see more Why It's Not A Good Idea To Let Your GDP Be Dependent On Evil Fairy Christening Pronouncements™. (Really, you can always make more princesses fairly easily. Retooling your entire domestic cloth industry, not so much.)

Last edited by ATDrake; 03-18-2013 at 01:59 AM. Reason: I actually did learn from Bob the Angry Flower's Guide to Using the Apostrophe, You Idiots! Not that you can tell.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:53 AM   #15963
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Dreams... wanna REALLY feel creepy? There are little bitty bugs that live their entire lives on our eyelashes. So small that they can move right under the skin where the lash emerges and go back inside again. And we never even know they are there! Everyone has 'em, and they do absolutely no harm at all.

Stitchawl
How do they survive on women with the mascara and all?
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:33 AM   #15964
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
That's proof we're not the weaker sex
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:00 AM   #15965
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
[...]
Don't ask me why, but I downloaded Natural Bed Bug Treatment: How To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs Without Toxic Chemicals or Insecticides (Kill Bed Bugs Fast Without Poisoning Yourself or Your Family) (Organic Pest Control) by Tvedten, Stephen.[...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
For people who really do wish to know more in this vein, I highly recommend biology professor Roger M. Knutson's Furtive Fauna: A Field Guide to the Creatures Who Live On You, which has apparently made it to an e-book edition (I have it in paperback, along with Knutson's guide on identifying common North American animals by the shapes they leave as roadkill, which is also excellent).[...]
THIS is why I love to follow this thread! All these wonderful books that I would never have heard of otherwise. Not saying I want to read them all, but just knowing they exist is quite wonderful.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:41 AM   #15966
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
eyelash mites !

You just had to give me even more reason to feel like something is crawling all over me, didn't you?(I won't mention how many web pages I just read about those little mites)
If you give them little endearing names and pretend they are pets, it's easier to live with the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
The problem isn't the mascara. It's finding shoes and a purse to match that drives 'em nuts!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #15967
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Reading Dreams', Stitchawl's and ATDrake's posts I now want to boil everything in the house, including me :|

I just finished a book by a well-known psychic in my country. It makes me want to leave the lights on tonight.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #15968
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
Reading Dreams', Stitchawl's and ATDrake's posts I now want to boil everything in the house, including me :|

I just finished a book by a well-known psychic in my country. It makes me want to leave the lights on tonight.
And if you see the monster, then what? Since the movie 'Psycho,' many people check inside the shower stall before getting in, or look under the bed before turning out the lights. But how many actually bring a gun into the bathroom, or keep a wooden stake and mallet on the bedside table?

Personally, I rely upon my 'protection mantra,' which I recite when ever the need arises; "When in worry, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout! When in worry, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!"

It works.

(Joking aside, this actually does work. It's so completely ludicrous, that when chanted in circumstances of extreme danger, the absurdity of it calms a person right down, letting them deal a bit more rationally with the situation. )

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #15969
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
In addition to Storm Front, I just started reading The Civil War: A Narrative: Volume 1: Fort Sumter to Perryville by Shelby Foote.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #15970
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Carey Rockwell & Daniel Woodrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I was quite impressed by On the Trail of the Space Pirates, as it turned out to be a pretty good space opera and still stayed within the parameters of the old TV show!

I also had a lot of fun reading The Black Lung Captain and its daemonic content got me in the mood to revisit Diana Rowland's Kara Gillian series with the 3rd book, Secrets of the Demon which is up next!

I'm also going to read the 14th Nancy Drew Mystery, The Whispering Statue!
The 3rd book in Diana Rowland's Kara Gillian series, Secrets of the Demon turned out to be the best in the series thus far and it really added a lot to the overall series arc as well as telling a suspenseful and exciting free-standing story. Kara Gillian is almost as much fun as Harry Dresden! I'm looking forward to reading the rest of this series.

The 14th Nancy Drew Mystery, The Whispering Statue was quite interesting to me as I remember the title from when I read it in elementary school but remembered nothing else about it. It was a fun and nostalgic read though.

Now on to The Space Pioneers by Carey Rockwell, the 4th selection in the Tom Corbett Omnibus and the 4th book in Diana Rowland's Kara Gillian series, Sins of the Demon.

Last edited by alansplace; 03-18-2013 at 06:32 PM. Reason: oops!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #15971
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
The first of the actual Albert Campion books by Margery Allingham - Mystery Mile. (He appears in The Crime at Black Dudley, but isn't really the central character yet.)

I've seen the BBC presentations of these books, and they're very good. But the books themselves are even better. What a delight to read, I'm very much looking forward to reading the others.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #15972
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
In addition to Storm Front, I just started reading The Civil War: A Narrative: Volume 1: Fort Sumter to Perryville by Shelby Foote.
The Civil War trilogy by Shelby Foote is an excellent read. I don't remember half the details from it now but it was an enjoyable experience.

I've just begun Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis. My only previous experience with C.S. Lewis is The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe so I'm not sure what to expect.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #15973
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
The first of the actual Albert Campion books by Margery Allingham - Mystery Mile. (He appears in The Crime at Black Dudley, but isn't really the central character yet.)

I've seen the BBC presentations of these books, and they're very good. But the books themselves are even better. What a delight to read, I'm very much looking forward to reading the others.
This is a wonderful witty, wacky, yet erudite series. "Black Dudley" is just plain odd. But the ensuing volumes have some great screwball type mysteries .... and the latter volumes in the series shifted to a more sinister psychological type of crime & criminal. Her last Campions were compared with Patricia Highsmith's writing - for creating sociopathic villains more interesting than the cops.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:34 AM   #15974
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Hey!! Let's get some action going! What are we reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
Next: Cannery Row by John Steinbeck
That was an excellent novel. I've read a lot of books and only a few had memorable characters like this one.

Now my next read will either be The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller or The Chronicles of Narnia series by C.S. Lewis. I can't make up my mind!
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:25 AM   #15975
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post

Are they available as ebooks in the US now?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote