Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-15-2009, 03:59 PM   #1
nvanygirl
nvanygirl began at the beginning.

Device: none
Reader choice for a public library reader

I am trying to figure out what reader to purchase - it seems that I am going back and forth between Sony and Kindle and wanted to get some input. I am an avid reader, mostly popular fiction, and although I do buy a lot of books, I primarily visit my public library. On average, I read about 3-4 books a week and if I had to buy all those books, I would quickly run out of room in my house and/or go broke…. :-)

I also travel a lot and after my last 2 week trip to Mexico where I brought 10 books with me and ran out before the 2 weeks were over, I decided to look into book readers. It would at the very least save me all those extra pounds in my checked luggage!

My public library does offer e-book downloads – I have taken a look and I would say 80% of them are adobe format rather than mobi format. I also have access to the NY public library – it looked like there were more mobi format books available however I would say there were still twice as many of adobe format e-books.

I would definitely be purchasing books as well; I just see the ability to read public library books as the biggest factor in my decision.

If I understand correctly, there is not any way of converting these adobe books to something that the Kindle would read but it is possible for mobi e-books. Is that correct? I realize there are some steps that need to be taken in order for those mobi books to be readable on the Kindle. The Sony reader is able to read the adobe format as far as I can tell.

I think I am still wavering because I am wondering whether the trend is going to remain with adobe PDF formatted books or if things are shifting towards formats that are compatible to the Kindle - mobi or whatever….. I don’t want to buy something based only on the pdf format capability if libraries are going to be shifting over to some other format in the near future. I guess all the hype about the new Kindle 2 has been making me guess and second-guess any decisions. I think I also need to read a bit more about the Sony options as I don't really know the difference between the 505 and the 700 (I think I have the right readers there).

Thanks for your help!
nvanygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, nvanygirl.

Seems like if your library offers that many Adobe format books the Sony would be your best choice...

However, that being said, if you want to buy and download books to your reader while you are on a trip.....the Kindle would be your best choice.

As long as you have a US based credit card AND billing address tied to your account, you can download books to your computer and then transfer to your Kindle anywhere in the world you have computer access.

The choice is yours. Enjoy!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
However, that being said, if you want to buy and download books to your reader while you are on a trip.....the Kindle would be your best choice.
Not on a trip to Mexico of course. (Maybe New Mexico)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:16 PM   #4
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

You will want to go with NY Public and the Mobipocket format (if you get the access for free).
For that, the reader to have (and not just for that, but much more) is the Cybook.

You can go with the Sony and PDF option but I do not advise as PDF not formatted for such a screen (6”) is not such a good experience (by far) to the one you will get with first option.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:31 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Not on a trip to Mexico of course. (Maybe New Mexico)

BOb
she can download from Mexico if she has a Kindle.......she just has to find internet access. Download to computer, then upload to her Kindle with the USB cord.

As long as she has a US based credit card and mailing address.
Advert
Old 02-15-2009, 05:42 PM   #6
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
It is a tough issue with book formats that the libraries are currently offering, and I don't think there is a perfect answer.

I have a Kindle so currently use mobipocket ebooks from my library, but see PDF's I'd also like to be able to read. Fortunately, I also have a iPod Touch which supposedly will be able to read secure PDF's within a month or two. If you purchase books, Amazon has the largest selection and often the best pricing, but this limits you to Kindle at this time.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:27 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
she can download from Mexico if she has a Kindle.......she just has to find internet access. Download to computer, then upload to her Kindle with the USB cord.
True, but of course you can do that with pretty much any ebook reader.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:44 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
True, but of course you can do that with pretty much any ebook reader.

BOb

doh!