Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What shall be our category for October 2013?
Fantasy 8 25.81%
Young Adult 10 32.26%
Free For All 10 32.26%
Philosophy 8 25.81%
Biography/Memoir 9 29.03%
Humor 9 29.03%
MobileRead Authors 8 25.81%
Short Stories 10 32.26%
Horror 11 35.48%
Patricia Clark Memorial Library (MobileRead Library) 15 48.39%
Planes, Trains and Automobiles (and boats) 8 25.81%
Science 14 45.16%
Modern Literature 8 25.81%
Classics 11 35.48%
Mythology 14 45.16%
Speculative Fiction 8 25.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-2013, 12:05 AM   #61
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
In December, have nominations for the 12 categories for 2014, ie as many categories as people want to put up, and then we vote in the top 12. Well, it would actually be only 11 if we stay with the Runner-Up category in January.
If it is one big vote, I would worry that we wouldn't get much variety. I think we only get as much variety as we do since we can see what else is already selected so we tend to vote (at least a little) for something different.

While I prefer sci-fi and fantasy for most of my reading, I would hate to see the book club look like:
2nd chance
Science fiction
Fantasy
Urban fantasy
Steampunk
Golden age sci-fi
Science Fiction Fact*
Hugo/Nebula winners
Splatterpunk
etc.

*Token non-fiction selection describing some sci-fi technology that is now available instead of just science fiction.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:10 AM   #62
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Three way tie for now with less than 12 hours to go, should be interesting.

(Go Science!)
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2013, 06:32 AM   #63
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
If it is one big vote, I would worry that we wouldn't get much variety. I think we only get as much variety as we do since we can see what else is already selected so we tend to vote (at least a little) for something different.

While I prefer sci-fi and fantasy for most of my reading, I would hate to see the book club look like:
2nd chance
Science fiction
Fantasy
Urban fantasy
Steampunk
Golden age sci-fi
Science Fiction Fact*
Hugo/Nebula winners
Splatterpunk
etc.

*Token non-fiction selection describing some sci-fi technology that is now available instead of just science fiction.
I quite agree, but I don't think that would happen. However, if it did, it would simply turn into the SF/Fantasy/Steampunk etc Club and another more broadly based Book Club would form with people who wanted to experience various genres.

Or maybe those people, if they were in a minority, would join the Literary Book Club if they aren't there already! Either way, I think it would clarify what the majority of members are interested in reading.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:51 AM   #64
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Also, if you read the thread I started, everyone posting there is in favor.
Not everyone.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #65
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Wow. A 3-way tie heading into the home stretch.

WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Not everyone.
OK, more people then not making for a majority of those who did comment.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think the reason the MR library is in the lead is because it's free and I do feel that it will lead to copyright infringement. I do expect that is a book is only public domain in life+50 countries that people in life+70 countries will download. I also think that books that are only public domain in the USA will be downloaded outside the USA.

This is a category that will lead to copyright infringement. So the only way to avoid this is to only allow books that are public domain world wide and not only parts of the world.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:22 PM   #68
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
For Australia, we have a two tier system. It is death plus 50 years up to and including 1954 as year of death. For an author who died from 1955 onwards, it is death plus 70 years.

It's a pain in the neck, caused by some freedom of trade agreement between the US and Australia in 2004/5 I believe. I must say I struggle to see how Australia benefitted from it, but that's another topic altogether!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:48 PM   #69
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Our library is so large, the nominations will seem like Free for All!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:51 AM   #70
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[RANT]In my opinion, of the nominations this month, the worst possible choice won. The Patricia Clark Memorial Library is a great resource, but a lousy choice for a category. I think the only reason it won is because the books are free, which is a pitiful reason to choose a book to read and discuss. In protest, I was considering for one of my November nominations Project Gutenberg and Kindle Store Freebies. The only thing that holds me back from doing so is the fear that it would win. Well, that's my opinion, and as they say, opinions are like ... well, you know. Everybody has one.[/RANT]

I'll post the November nominations thread later today.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:07 AM   #71
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Well, I would have liked Mythology or Contemporary Fiction to win. Having said this, I think that I also voted for Patricia Clark's Library, perhaps for the wrong = sentimental reasons, as the first book I downloaded from MR on my iLiad, was one she formatted. And she always helped one, so yes, a kind of tribute.

It might be "a blessing in disguise", who knows?
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #72
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Well, it's pretty obvious from previous polls that free books gets lots of votes only because they are free.
In light of that I actually think this is a good "category", because in a vote of only free books they are competing on equal terms, so to speak.

I was actually contemplating nominating the category "books NOT in PD" for some future month, but I realize that would just be silly and wasting a vote...

Last edited by Asawi; 03-10-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #73
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

The November category nominations thread is up.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-10-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #74
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
Well, I would have liked Mythology or Contemporary Fiction to win. Having said this, I think that I also voted for Patricia Clark's Library, perhaps for the wrong = sentimental reasons, as the first book I downloaded from MR on my iLiad, was one she formatted. And she always helped one, so yes, a kind of tribute.

It might be "a blessing in disguise", who knows?
It's hard for anyone who knew her not to hold her fondly in their memories. It was she who helped me upload my first book to the library, and taught me about the proper formatting for the library book threads. My rant was not intended to reflect negatively on her or anyone who has helped to build that resource; I just thought it was a bad idea to name any book source, even that one which we all hold so dear, as one of our monthly categories. But as I said, that's my opinion, and I was outvoted. There's always next year.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #75
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
[RANT]In my opinion, of the nominations this month, the worst possible choice won. The Patricia Clark Memorial Library is a great resource, but a lousy choice for a category. I think the only reason it won is because the books are free, which is a pitiful reason to choose a book to read and discuss...[/RANT]
As I have nothing against reading some classics I'm thinking that one of the best possible choices has won. I am really looking forward which books will be proposed. My only caveat is that the nature of this book club excludes many of the interesting German books. Well, that's just an opinion too.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote