Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-15-2012, 01:01 AM   #151
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
I was told best approach for Lithium-Ion batteries is ABC - "Always Be Charging."
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:20 AM   #152
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
I was told best approach for Lithium-Ion batteries is ABC - "Always Be Charging."
That's extremely bad advice; you certainly shouldn't leave a battery constantly charging.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2012, 04:18 AM   #153
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Seemingly simple pronouncements/assumptions/observations tend to have caveats in the invisible or small print...

Last edited by unboggling; 07-15-2012 at 06:09 AM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #154
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
I think I've read it somewhere that Lithium Ion has this 'memory" effect where repeated charging while there is still battery power will reduce the total battery power over time. Can someone confirm it?
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:50 AM   #155
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryEnthusiast View Post
I think I've read it somewhere that Lithium Ion has this 'memory" effect where repeated charging while there is still battery power will reduce the total battery power over time. Can someone confirm it?
No, you're thinking of the old NiCad batteries. Lithium batteries don't have a memory effect, but you still shouldn't continually charge them.
Advert
Old 07-17-2012, 03:13 AM   #156
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, you're thinking of the old NiCad batteries. Lithium batteries don't have a memory effect, but you still shouldn't continually charge them.
Thanks, Harry. Then, why shouldn't I continually charge Lithium batteries? When I'm not using my phone, I always have it charged. So this is a no-no?
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:55 AM   #157
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks, Harry. Then, why shouldn't I continually charge Lithium batteries? When I'm not using my phone, I always have it charged. So this is a no-no?
Yes, you'll shorten the battery life. Topping up is fine, but don't leave it permanently connected to the charger.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:02 PM   #158
sumguy
Connoisseur
sumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
actually, with lithium and nimh, the charger senses when the battery is full, and shuts off the charging. so in that sense, there's no problem with leaving it permanently connected to the charger, it won't be "constantly charging".

the problem comes if you don't actually use the battery. in addition to the two factors of number of charge cycles and age of the battery, there are two other equally (or more) important factors: temperature, and usage. keeping the battery at a high temperature (eg., inside your hot laptop!) shortens its life a lot. and, you must regularly use it, otherwise the internal connections will become corroded and even though it can take a charge, it can't effectively deliver the current.

i used to think i was smart leaving my laptop plugged in all the time, so i wouldn't use up the limited number of charge cycles. wrong! that's one of the worst things you can do. within two years, my battery was dead. the symptoms are that the battery has a relatively low charge cycle count, and seems to take a full charge. but after a short period of using it, the laptop will suddenly shut down, with no warning that you're getting close to empty.

that's why apple recommends doing a "calibration" thing at least once a month, fully discharge and recharge. i'd say do it more often.

apple doesn't recommend using a macbook with no battery installed; sometimes if extra power is needed, it will be drawn from the battery. so one idea is to use an old battery while you've got it plugged in to AC. store your "good" battery only partly charged, about 40% or so, and in a cool place. take it out and use it once a month at least. it's not so convenient, when you have to dash out the door and your battery isn't fully charged. but it's the best way to keep a long life.
sumguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #159
Delotte231
Connoisseur
Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: None
Quote:
I think what you mean is a sort of calibration within the device's battery percentage counter. It usually bases its prediction of battery percentage based on a few good full drain and full charge cycles. If it notices that you charge your phone way too much at say for example, 40%, it will think that at 40%, your battery is already drained and will then adjust the calibration to show that when your battery is nearing 40%, it will display near 0%. This will make you perceive that the battery is running out too quickly.
Delotte231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #160
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
This battery discussion applies to all devices (phones, tablets, computers) that use lithium-based batteries. I've never troubled to do this before, but I'll plan to start calibrating the battery (fully drain, leave off a half hour, then fully charge) for my notebooks and devices about once a month. (Edit: Specifically, devices that are plugged into power most of the time, the others should be okay without regular calibrating.)

I haven't checked lately, but probably the iPhone in my car has a permanently dead battery because of leaving it there baking in the heat, not using it for months. Sigh. Guess I'll have to remember to carry the phone around rather than leave it in the car.

Edit: brain implants will be a lot more convenient—if they don't need messing with the battery...

Last edited by unboggling; 07-17-2012 at 05:03 PM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote