Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-22-2010, 01:23 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
"first to build an under-$150 e-book reader will win"

http://www.yankeegroup.com/ResearchDocument.do?id=52910

Quote:
Six million e-book readers will be sold in 2010 alone, and Yankee Group expects the market to grow to $2.5 billion by 2013. We predict that the first manufacturer to build an under-$150 e-book reader that focuses solely on reading, not on fancy frills and features, will win.
Sounds like at least one analyst group understands Mobileread's users
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
File
File can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blue

queue jetbook
File is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
LS650
Enthusiast
LS650 is on a distinguished road

Device: Android, Jetbook Lite
Geez, I bought my JBL a couple of weeks ago for $119 US plus tax...
LS650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
http://www.yankeegroup.com/ResearchDocument.do?id=52910
Sounds like at least one analyst group understands Mobileread's users
Maybe-since there are already under-$150 dedicated readers available, I guess you'd need to define "frills & features" to understand why they're ruling the already available ones out. IMO that doesn't really indicate that they understand MR users.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:47 PM   #5
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
A really good one under $1000 would be great.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:57 PM   #6
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
A really good one under $1000 would be great.
For a device I'd use every day? I totally agree.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:03 PM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Depends on what they mean by "fancy frills and features." If, for instance, they consider margin control, font choice/size/contrast, left/right/full justification, and folders/subfolders among the "frills and features" they don't need, I don't think it'll work out.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:11 PM   #8
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
That's one way to go. Personally, I think the winners will be the folks who make multifunction devices that are as comfortable to read on as an e-ink reader and have enough battery life for us to not worry about charging all the time. People will pay more for them because they do more. The race to the bottom for prices on dedicated devices will just end up with poor quality devices and razor thin margins. Considering how few people read enough to justify even a $150 device that is only good for reading in the style of our current models, that doesn't strike me as a great business. Thin margins need high volume sales. I also wonder how much of the market of folks that read avidly has already been captured by the current products. How many people are left who would buy a reader at $150 who wouldn't buy a one for $250? There are plenty of used readers available for around the $150 price point already. Most current device owners probably won't refresh for a couple years. By that time, there may be more compelling multifunction products than we have now.

People who read books occasionally would likely read ebooks if they already had something easy to read on. That could be a lot of ebook sales but those folks that read one or two best-sellers a year aren't going to drop money on a dedicated device. Unless that $150 reader has a fairly large, color screen, it won't attract the masses. Most people don't read books but they do read magazines and blogs. I bet plenty would be happy to get rid of paper magazines but they're not going to sacrifice the visual richness. And if they're reading on a screen, they'll likely prefer to have multimedia content available. By the time you could make a large, color reader for $150, I'm betting tablet hardware will have made the idea obsolete.

Last edited by Alisa; 01-22-2010 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Grammar
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:12 PM   #9
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Depends on what they mean by "fancy frills and features." If, for instance, they consider margin control, font choice/size/contrast, left/right/full justification, and folders/subfolders among the "frills and features" they don't need, I don't think it'll work out.
Yeah...I'd hope they mean MP3s and cameras and Twitter when they say "frills and features", and by soley on reading they would mean "full featured reader".

Then again, I bet many first time eReader buyers are surprised that all that stuff you mentioned ISN'T a given on every device.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:45 PM   #10
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
I would say: the first manufacturer to build an under-$50 e-book reader that focuses solely on reading, will win.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:47 PM   #11
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Yeah...I'd hope they mean MP3s and cameras and Twitter when they say "frills and features", and by soley on reading they would mean "full featured reader".

Then again, I bet many first time eReader buyers are surprised that all that stuff you mentioned ISN'T a given on every device.
How about wireless connectivity? I consider that a frill on a reader, but I'll bet that many (not just new buyers either) don't.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:53 PM   #12
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
I don't need wireless connectivity for my jetBook. I read 3-4 books per month and I'm OK to keep all books on SD card and transfer new books via SD from PC to jetBook.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:53 PM   #13
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
I don't need wireless connectivity for my jetBook. I read 3-4 books per month
Just an observation, but this is one of the few places where that classifies you as a "light reader."
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:00 PM   #14
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I would have said under $100 but by that time our devalued dollars will make it $300 or so...
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:04 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
You can find the Sony Pocket Reader for about $180 if you bing it.

So, why is $150 the magic price.. I remember a year ago we were all saying $199 was the magic price...

You folks are demanding.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote