Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-25-2012, 06:38 AM   #1
jhsrennie
jhsrennie began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Can't get --level2-toc to work

I'm trying to convert an HTML file to epub and while the level 1 contents is working I can't make the level 2 contents work. A typical exerpt from my document is:

Code:
<h1 class="chapter">ALTERNATE TECHNOLOGY</h1>
<h1></h1><h3 class="subheading">Split Infinities</h3>
<p>Welcome to your new ARNS Home Universe GeneratorTM 3.6.4! Those ...p>
The command I'm using is:

Code:
ebook-convert "Ira Nayman - Luna for the Lunies.html" .epub --authors "Ira Nayman" --title "Luna for the Lunies" --cover "Ira Nayman - Luna for the Lunies.jpg" --level1-toc //h:h1[@class="chapter"] --level2-toc //h:h3 --input-encoding cp1252
I originally used --level2-toc //h:h3[@class="subheading"] and when that didn't work I tried --level2-toc //h:h3, but I would like to restrict it to the subheading class if I can.

Calibre correctly detects and builds all the level 1 contents, but I get no level 2 contents. If anyone can spot my deliberate mistake I'll be eternally grateful!
jhsrennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I don't use the commandline interface myself, but does it help if you add a --chapter option? e.g. something like
--chapter //*[name()='h1' or name()='h3']
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:45 AM   #3
jhsrennie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I don't use the commandline interface myself, but does it help if you add a --chapter option? e.g. something like
--chapter //*[name()='h1' or name()='h3']
Thanks, I'll give this a try just to see what happens, but I have <h1> tags that I don't want included in the TOC.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:02 AM   #4
jhsrennie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsrennie View Post
Thanks, I'll give this a try just to see what happens, but I have <h1> tags that I don't want included in the TOC.
Code:
--chapter //*[@class='subheading' or @class='subheading']
builds the TOC with all the entries I want, but they're all top level and I want the subheadings to appear as the second level in the TOC.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:29 AM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
My Xpath knowledge is poor but can you find a way to construct an expression which combines your level1 toc Xpath and level2 toc Xpath in an either/or Xpath expression and put it in the --chapter setting.

Alternatively, you could cheat! Create the epub with all the correct TOC entries at a single level, then edit the .ncx file (either manually or using a utility like Nigol's epubfixer utility) to nest the entries correctly and/or remove any unwanted entries.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
contents