Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-31-2010, 01:00 PM   #1
joselitux
joselitux began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
converting PDF for kindle reading

hi all

I need some advice on good conversion tool from pdf to kindle reading.
I usually read programming books with screen captures and different text-styles (one for code, one for normal text)

My hope is to find a good conversion tool in order to use features as useful as highlighting and clipping, not available in the actual state of the art in kindle software if you use PDF format.

hope in the coming months the Kindle Apps would provide such a great feature as marks and clipping in pdf books.

In the meantime, I'll convert pdf to any format allow me to do so

any suggestion?
joselitux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The complicated formatting and images will probably not convert well for Kindle. You can try Mobipocket Creator, Publisher edition, or Calibre (both free downloads), but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Things like novels in pdf tend to convert pretty well.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
A lot depends on how the PDF was authored. If it is tagged well, the conversion will be better.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:13 AM   #4
joselitux

Calibre is not suitable for PDF conversion. Removes all the charts and pictures.

Mobipocket creator does a better job but some strange font formatting is done in the final MOBI output.

any other suggestion?
Old 06-01-2010, 05:49 AM   #5
katzenstreik
Winged Ape
katzenstreik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.katzenstreik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.katzenstreik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2i
I always use Mobipocket creator for the conversion from pdf to prc, add the prc to calibre and convert it there to mobi. The calibre conversion does a better job in converting prc to mobi than mobipocket creator.
katzenstreik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2010, 06:52 AM   #6
joselitux

I will try thas process katzenstreik.
Many steps but Better than nothing.

thanks
Old 06-01-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
joselitux

tested passing the prc from Mobipocket to Calibre creates the MOBI output.
katzenstreik was right. The mobi generated via Calibre is better than the Mobipocket Creator but I got some issues maybe anyone can help:

- bullets are replaced by two characters (NU)

Everywhere when a list is preceded by dots or bullets, the bullets are replaced by "NU"
is there any way to replace this in the final MOBI by "-" or "_" ?

- Header and footer are not deleted and I found it everywhere in the text.

any suggestion?

PS: maybe this worth another thread.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:48 PM   #8
katzenstreik
Winged Ape
katzenstreik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.katzenstreik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.katzenstreik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Well, the first thing mobipocket creator does in creating the prc is reading the pdf out to a html file. You will find the html file in the same folder as the prc. Then you open the html file with sigil http://code.google.com/p/sigil (it takes a while to load the html) and go to 'Edit/Replace' - a dialogbox will pop up with a 'Find X - Replace with Y' possibility. Sigil will save the html file as an epub, that means you'll still have to convert it to mobi but it's the best tool to make your ebooks shine.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:59 AM   #9
joselitux

Ok, that's fairly straightforward, but....the header and footer issue?

notice it's a different header/footer for every chapter or section making impossible to follow a find/replace procedure
Old 06-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #10
katzenstreik
Winged Ape

Hm, I don't have a solution for the header/footer problem - you can correct it per hand in sigil, but maybe somebody in the sigil or calibre section has an idea how to automate the process...
Old 06-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Sigil doesn't seem the best tool just to do a search and replace - any text editor will do that, without adding a requirement to convert ePub to mobi.

Calibre has some options for detecting and removing header/footer using regular expressions (see 'Structure Detection' conversion options). The default setting is not to remove them. Turn on Remove, and see if that works better. If not you may need to tweak the regexp..
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:43 AM   #12
johndoesecond
Connoisseur
johndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle 4, Kindle PW2
I had the same problem and after extensively exploring different solutions, workflows and softwares, I found Abbyy PDF transformer (ver. 3) to be the most suitable and practical.

This is how I do it:

1. If necessary I "pre-crop" the PDF with Adobe Acrobat (take off useless header, footers, page numbers etc.)
2. pass it through Abbyy PDF transformer to get MS Word file (if necessary fix the image/text areas to get figures/charts right)
3. convert it to HTML (with Word, simple "filtered" HTML mode)
4. convert to MOBI with Mobipocket or Kindlegen

Good luck.

P.S. Unfortunately, neither Acribat (at step 1) nor ABBYY transformer (at step 2) and MS Word (step 3) are free.

Last edited by johndoesecond; 06-03-2010 at 10:45 AM.
johndoesecond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:03 AM   #13
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Really nice, thanks for sharing! It must take some time to get the infrastructure for this up and running.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote