Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Interead COOL-ER

Notices

Old 02-03-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
dazcox
Enthusiast
dazcox began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300
Manage books on Device

Hi,

How does everyone manage their books on their device?

I use calibre, but I can't settle on a folder structure I like on the device, and then there seems to be something I'm missing as updating metadata in Calibre doesn't update the device.

I thought it might be more like iTunes, ie I make a change on PC then update device...

I have quite a few books (~150) some read, some started etc so was wondering if everyone keeps all their books on their devices (If not why are we all concerned with storage capacity??? I still have over 700mb left without a card?)

and if so how do you sort them?

I hope Interead add back the option to startup to the last open book - ATM i hate having to trawl through pages of books/authors etc
dazcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
a few books

I don't keep that many books on my device. I would say I keep 20 to 50 books on it at a time.

I use a number of categories to sort my books in Calibre. Including a category called "unread".

I sort by author it works when you don't have a ton of books on a device at a time.

I am still running the older version of firmware so it defaults to last book read.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 06:37 AM   #3
panda53
Connoisseur
panda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch and shared Kindle
I keep a copy of all my ebooks on my computer, each in the author's folder. I originally loaded lots of these folders onto my cool-er, but I found it was just a hassle to navigate to what I wanted to read.

Now, I load 5 - 8 books on at a time. Just the ones I'm currently reading, and what I'd like to read next.

It's much simpler - and I always keep a backup on my laptop.

I'm running the penultimate firmware update - cooler_vfat_1.12.9_1119.rar - it's very stable, and I've had no problems with it (although I have had hardware problems).

best,
Pamela
panda53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:42 AM   #4
andygates
andygates began at the beginning.

Device: Cool-er
I do it all by file folders. On the PC, it's ordered by broad category then author; on the device it's the dozen or so things I want to read next, plus some common references, plus an SD card of "you never know" reference books like first-aid guides, in case there's a zombie apocalypse or something.

Management software all seems to put an annoying layer between me and the file folders -- I'm the same with music on my MP3, so I expect this is more to do with me than it reflects the software.

Storage capacity's only challenged when PDFs or manga get involved.
andygates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:18 AM   #5
codeMonkey
Zealot
codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Cool-ER (running pocketbook firmware), Nokia N800, Nokia N900
Like andygates I do most of it by folder - I use Calibre for storing and things, but for reading I like to keep things organised differently.

I store all of my books on the SD card in case I accidentally cause some form of reboot loop while I'm messing around with the reader, that way I can reflash the device without losing any of my books, or the associated metadata - e.g. the last page I was on with the book.
codeMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 04:21 AM   #6
dazcox
Enthusiast
dazcox began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300
New firmware made me very happy and have decided to limit books on device now and just use calibre to manage the library
dazcox is offline   Reply With Quote