Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-02-2013, 02:23 AM   #721
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Just received the Aura yesterday and have been anointing myself with oil ever since. Fortunately, I live in a tower, so the constant stream of oil hasn't inconvenienced me even though the streets are now closed and tenants on the ground floor have had to find temporary lodgings.

I'm especially fond of the OS because it doesn't actively insult you. The home page is ad-free and useful; the store window is quite small and only shows you books which are related to the ones you actually own. I much prefer that to the latest Kindles' row of awful bestsellers on the devices' home pages, which is the visual equivalent of having to hear bad Top 40 every time you turn on your music player.

The screen offers the closest experience to text-on-paper of any e-reader or tablet I've ever used. The swiftness of the processor and the convenience of the light make it difficult for me to return to other e-readers.

A friend who saw the screen bemoaned the "non-white" background, but I find the color and slightly rough surface to resemble that of books printed on special stock, specif. earlier editions from Black Sparrow Press:

A few oddities:
  • I noted that Kobo-purchased tomes showed up in a kepub folder under root > .kobo, so I placed sideloaded books in a folder in the same parent folder (.kobo) titled "epub". My folder wasn't recognized until I moved it to the root level.
  • When I dropped a few images into the .kobo > images folder, those showed up as books until I created a folder titled "photos" at the parent level and moved my images to it. Now, of course, they don't show up at all.
  • The spacing is truncated in a few of my existing books whether they're kepub or epub. This is particularly noticeable in The Collected Shorter Prose of Samuel Beckett, in case anyone else has that book to check on their device. This is only an issue in the kepub version downloaded directly from Kobo to my Aura. The stripped epub version does not share the issue.
  • Scrolling through the library seems rather slow going for an e-reader which is quite swift otherwise. Is there a way to improve the scrolling speed if you've loaded over five hundred books (as I have)?

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 05-02-2013 at 05:11 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:04 AM   #722
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Glad you like it --- I will still have to wait a few more days for mine!
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2013, 03:59 AM   #723
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post

I'm especially fond of the OS because it doesn't actively insult you. The home page is ad-free and useful; the store window is quite small and only shows you books which are related to the ones you actually own. I much prefer that to the latest Kindles' habit of assaulting you with an imposing row of awful bestsellers on the devices' home pages, which is the visual equivalent of having to hear bad Top 40 every time you turn on your music player.
you may want to have a look at the tweaks plugin: that would for instance enable you to get rid of the wishlist if you so wish (!), and have other useful features. The thing to remember is to update the firmware version number in the configuration file. Also worth having a look at the dedicated thread

Quote:
  • Scrolling through the library seems rather slow going for an e-reader which is quite swift otherwise. Is there a way to improve the scrolling speed if you've loaded over five hundred books (as I have)?
I have a vague recollection that this has to do with the size of the database - if you ask in the Kobo forum I'm sure you will get a helpful and competent reply from one of its "usual suspect", extremely helpful folks!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:46 AM   #724
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
you may want to have a look at the tweaks plugin: that would for instance enable you to get rid of the wishlist if you so wish (!), and have other useful features. The thing to remember is to update the firmware version number in the configuration file. Also worth having a look at the dedicated thread
Karma to you for mentioning the tweaks plugin, but it seems to have been fondled and finessed for the Kobo Touch specifically. Has anyone actually tried using it on an Aura?
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:49 AM   #725
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I'm especially fond of the OS because it doesn't actively insult you. The home page is ad-free and useful; the store window is quite small and only shows you books which are related to the ones you actually own. I much prefer that to the latest Kindles' row of awful bestsellers on the devices' home pages, which is the visual equivalent of having to hear bad Top 40 every time you turn on your music player.
It's perhaps worth pointing out that the Kindle only shows you the "row of awful bestsellers" if you have the "Recommended Content" option turned on. Switch it off (Menu -> Settings -> Device Options -> Personalize Your Kindle -> Recommended Content) and you won't see them (or indeed any other form of advertising).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2013, 06:33 AM   #726
savbeowulf
Enthusiast
savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD Ivory
Quote:
Karma to you for mentioning the tweaks plugin, but it seems to have been fondled and finessed for the Kobo Touch specifically. Has anyone actually tried using it on an Aura?
I got my Aura HD on monday this week and after letting it fully charge ( my Galaxy tab GT-P1000 usb plug worked really well for charging from mains output 5V 2A) I connected to my laptop and let Calibre do it's thing. I asked it to send 85 items to the main memory of my Aura and left it to do the job (the Kobo Touch Plugin is enabled!!) I ejected the Aura and I then looked at the Aura library after it had populated what Calibre had sent it. All items appear as Kobo Epub and all the text based adjustments have so far worked on each book I have read (text size , line spacing etc.text weight and all the other options in the advanced menu aswell). Thanks to the plugin creator for a cracking job it's spot on.
savbeowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:35 AM   #727
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Two options with the Kobo: swipe your thumb to the left to advance a page, and to the right to go back a page; you can also configure the middle third of the screen to go back a page, so you can tap without the reach.
So I'm not the only one who does this. I find myself trying to swipe like that on my Kindle and getting irritated when it doesn't work.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #728
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Swiping doesn't work on the Kindle? That's instant dealbreaker for me. I often hold the reader with left hand and then I can't advance unless I swipe (since my thumb is on the left side).. or without some hacking (like making tap advance every page, etc.)
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #729
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
Swiping doesn't work on the Kindle? That's instant dealbreaker for me. I often hold the reader with left hand and then I can't advance unless I swipe (since my thumb is on the left side).. or without some hacking (like making tap advance every page, etc.)
Swiping works fine on the Kindle. Also even tapping with the left hand (while holding with same hand) works good since Amazon made the page back tap zone narrow enough that the thumb can easily reach over it (at least mine can). It's one of my few complaints about my Aura right now. How wide the page back tap zone is. Not a serious complaint, but since I'm used to the Kindle I keep accidentally going back pages.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #730
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Both tapping and swiping work on the Kindle. On the library page you have to use swiping (because tapping opens a book); while reading a book you can either tap or swipe.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #731
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Swiping on the Paperwhite works fine across the entire screen, except on the very last line, where the Time To Read and the percentage is displayed. There it only detects taps, to change what is diplayed on that line.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #732
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Back to the original topic of the thread, the Kobo Aura...

A new review from IT Portal:

http://www.itproportal.com/reviews/t...ura-hd-review/
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #733
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Back to the original topic of the thread, the Kobo Aura...

A new review from IT Portal:

http://www.itproportal.com/reviews/t...ura-hd-review/
Now THAT is a professional review. Still includes criticisms but manages to not come across as a smarmy little brat.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #734
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Swiping works fine on the Kindle. Also even tapping with the left hand (while holding with same hand) works good since Amazon made the page back tap zone narrow enough that the thumb can easily reach over it (at least mine can). It's one of my few complaints about my Aura right now. How wide the page back tap zone is. Not a serious complaint, but since I'm used to the Kindle I keep accidentally going back pages.
I read with my right hand usually so I have it set up that a tap forwards the page and I swipe backwards. Very intuitive and much better than a narrow tap zone (in my opinion).
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #735
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I read with my right hand usually so I have it set up that a tap forwards the page and I swipe backwards. Very intuitive and much better than a narrow tap zone (in my opinion).
That's great that it works for you, although I'm not sure how what you're describing is really different from what I said or why a narrower page back zone than the Kobo's offer would matter in your case. I switch hands fairly often when reading so having a narrower page back zone, which I almost never use, and a huge page forward zone makes more sense for me.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote