Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #61
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonReader View Post
You shouldn't discount Windows either. The Lumia 920 is a very attractive phone and I would prefer it over an iPhone.
Nokia thanks you.
http://investorplace.com/2013/01/lum...p-nokia-stock/

Quote:
...the major carriers like AT&T (NYSE:T) and Verizon (NYSE:VZ) want a third alternative to Apple‘s (NASDAQ:AAPL) iPhone and those running Google‘s (NASDAQ:GOOG) Android — predominantly because the carriers then would have better leverage to set more favorable terms on handset prices.

It looks like Nokia might have produced that viable alternative.

The Lumia 920, which came out in November, has a high-quality screen and a top-of-the-line camera. Nokia’s relationship with Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT) also has been important as the company has continued to innovate the Window Phone 8 platform. Best of all, Nokia has been aggressive on the pricing, which has gotten the attention of consumers — especially overseas.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #62
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm not cool anymore either, and I've managed to survive. It's been rough, though, I won't kid you.
I can relate to that man. I sure can.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #63
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I've never been cool. but I use an Android phone anyway.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #64
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
OK, I'm curious. What are the advanced features of Android vs. iPhone? What are regular people using on their Android phones that is so exciting? I'm a Mac user - have been since the 80s - so please let me know what I'm missing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
There is more than paying when it comes to NFC. I use it daily to automate tasks with NFC tags.

Leave home: a tap disables WiFi, changes volume settings and a few more tweaks.
Get in the car: a tap enables GPS and launches the Nav app. When I leave the car, a 2nd tap disables GPS.
Leave the office: one tap disables WiFi, changes a few other settings and sends an SMS to say "I'm on my way".
The possibilities are endless, as afv011 notes.
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:29 PM   #65
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I don't see a link?
Apologies; I edited the original comment. The link is here:

http://gizmodo.com/5973073/
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #66
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Yea, the ol' BS meter went off the scale when it said that teens are going with Microsoft surface. Everything I read say that surface sales have been very disappointing. I work with teenagers, most of whom are from well off families. I don't think I've seen anyone with a surface yet.
You will.
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:46 PM   #67
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by djulian View Post
Apologies; I edited the original comment. The link is here:

http://gizmodo.com/5973073/
OK, I went through this article, looked at the responses prior, and still don't see a huge advantage. The most alluring thing I've seen is tethering the device to a dongle, and accessing data from that dongle. Which is something I can't see myself doing, but no doubt is useful to others. I must be missing out on the truly advanced features.

What are the advantages of Android to the majority of users that makes its flexibility much more appealing than the tight integration of Apple with iTunes and iCloud?

Last edited by pidgeon92; 01-13-2013 at 09:51 PM.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #68
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Apple is cool.. But now bored with them. I just got a Samsung Galaxy Note 2. Love it. New and different. Makes awesome eReader as well, hardly use the iPad mini at all anymore. Apple is losing it's shine.
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #69
forcheville
Zealot
forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs650, Boox M92, Samsung Slate 7
Apple will be cool (again) as a retro thing in about 20+ years. So hang on to your vintage iJunk, it could be worth a fortune to your kids, or grandkids.
forcheville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:16 PM   #70
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
I have an iphone because it was free with a new contract. I've never used an ipod and I don't have a tablet. I fear I am becoming a luddite lol.

Tech has just become one of those things that I really don't care about anymore. Within the past year I've definitely become one of those 'no need for a new one when this still works fine' people. Even if I were younger I don't think I'd want any of this stuff.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:42 PM   #71
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
OK, I went through this article, looked at the responses prior, and still don't see a huge advantage. The most alluring thing I've seen is tethering the device to a dongle, and accessing data from that dongle. Which is something I can't see myself doing, but no doubt is useful to others. I must be missing out on the truly advanced features.

What are the advantages of Android to the majority of users that makes its flexibility much more appealing than the tight integration of Apple with iTunes and iCloud?
There's also the simplicity of use. For all that "just works" people say of iOS, tell me how you download an email attachment and open it in your app of choice, or how you take a picture and share it from the camera app itself (you have a plethora of options on Android, everything that accepts a picture will show up, like Dropbox, email clients, twitter, ...). The possibilities on Android are endless, the limit is your imagination.

Here's another example; when I pick up my other half from work, my phone automatically sends an SMS to say "I'm here" when I approach my final destination; it's done with an app called "Tasker", it basically has a set of parameters (in this case the cell towers the phone can see, and a time window), and if the parameters are right, it executes a task (in this case, sending an SMS). Likewise, when I get back home after dropping her at work, my phone automatically sends an "I'm home" SMS, without me having to do anything - it knows I'm home and it knows I just dropped her at work.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:38 AM   #72
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Defaults are probably the single biggest advantage but there are probably dozens of them, the fact I can set my own default applications for any file or choose my own browser to open.

Lots of other things as well, being able to watch videos without converting them, actually being able to use the file system to organise my own files and folders.

Customisation I like to make my own home screen unique yet functional not just a grid of icons like on IOS, being able to use a different launcher if I want, apps like instadock which organise all my apps like a windows start menu into easily browsable categories. Hundreds of different clocks , calenders, news widgets live wallpapers, weather reports etc

Then we have apps like tasker and automateit mentioned above which let you easily tell your phone how to behave in certain locations or times off day, speak pre programmed messages when certain conditions are met, launch apps, change settings etc the possibilities are endless.

I could probably keep this going for a long time if I went into the advantages of real multitasking, Micro Sd cards, attaching gamepads and other USB/Bluetooth accessories, basicly though IOS is slipping further behind all the time.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:48 AM   #73
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
Defaults are probably the single biggest advantage but there are probably dozens of them, the fact I can set my own default applications for any file or choose my own browser to open.

Lots of other things as well, being able to watch videos without converting them, actually being able to use the file system to organise my own files and folders.

Customisation I like to make my own home screen unique yet functional not just a grid of icons like on IOS, being able to use a different launcher if I want, apps like instadock which organise all my apps like a windows start menu into easily browsable categories. Hundreds of different clocks , calenders, news widgets live wallpapers, weather reports etc

Then we have apps like tasker and automateit mentioned above which let you easily tell your phone how to behave in certain locations or times off day, speak pre programmed messages when certain conditions are met, launch apps, change settings etc the possibilities are endless.

I could probably keep this going for a long time if I went into the advantages of real multitasking, Micro Sd cards, attaching gamepads and other USB/Bluetooth accessories, basicly though IOS is slipping further behind all the time.
Agree.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:28 AM   #74
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm not cool anymore either, and I've managed to survive. It's been rough, though, I won't kid you.
To me at least, you are still one of the coolest people ever
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:58 AM   #75
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I love the first comment:
Quote:
Other things that teens think are cool: Twilight, eating cinnamon, Rebecca Black, and planking
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote