Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-08-2012, 10:02 AM   #16
jswinden
Nameless Being

The way they advertised the PW I thought the light would not be necessary during daylight reading in a well lit room, much like EVERY FRICKING Kindle I've owned before. And yes if I want that lovely brownish background I can read it at light level 0 in a well lit room, but then it looks like (or worse than) EVERY FRICKING Kindle I've owned before. With light at 0 there is absolutely no white to the background whatever! I also assumed it would have a small amount of lighting to accomplish what we needed to read in darker areas. After all I never had to use both of my MightBright LEDs at the same time, one was always sufficient. I had no idea this thing would be packing 4 LEDs and could be used for a flashlight at night. After using it now for about one week, I'm not surprised it sucks down the battery so fast. It needs lots of light to give us that BS illusion of having a "white screen"! Hell, I can make my Touch screen look white with enough light.

I truly like the form factor and all, but Amazon really turned out a mediocre Paperwhite that is no where close to their advertised hype. I'll keep it simply because there is no other alternative to a self-lit eInk e-reader. To be honest I was much more excited after I got my Touch and started using it than I am with the Paperwhite--I feel more let down than anything.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #17
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
As a K4 user I feel your pain. We have airplane mode as well.
It is a more critical issue with K4. Less battery storage available.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #18
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It is a more critical issue with K4. Less battery storage available.

I think two weeks on one charge is really good for the K4. With WiFi on I think we're still getting more battery life than people with the PW are getting.
12 hours really?!?
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #19
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Different types of PW's??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
I haven't wanted to jump into this one because I'm also having pink/blue clouds and didn't want to appear to be 'piling on', but yeah, the battery life sucks. I haven't done specific measurements, just that gut instinct stuff--my KK went weeks and weeks (wifi on) without me even having to think about charging it. PW has already had to be charged up multiple times in six days of not very regular reading (and it was plugged in during my initial book load). I usually have backlight around 12 or lower. I suppose in the back of my head I'm hoping my screen-replacement unit will also have better battery life. For now, at least with my current unit, this really is feeling like the worst of all worlds in terms of product quality.
Your experience is way different than mine with the battery. I played around with my unit for 2 days straight almost 10 hours per day and it used only about 25% of the charge out of the box.

I charged it 2 days ago with a full charge and have been reading on it now for 2 days and its only down about 10%. I must read at least 3 or 4 hours per day on it. I have the screen light set at 22 of the 24 possible, WiFi on all the time and Page Refresh on all the time.

At that rate it should last another 18 days before it hits my 15% warning signal.

Between the different battery drains and the vastly different screen experiences everyone is having, it appears that something big is wrong.

I have read on the Internet that Foxconn in China had a big dispute with their quality control union and there may have been stoppages. So far as I know they only manufacture Apple iPads there. However, maybe one of the Foxconn factories is also producing Paperwhites. Maybe that is part of the reason we see postings on this forum showing many screen and battery problems.

I believe Amazon's official position on the battery strength is that with WiFi off, screen light set to the maximum and 30 minutes of reading per day should make the battery last TWO MONTHS. My personal experience is in line with the Amazon estimate.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-08-2012 at 03:30 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote