Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-15-2012, 10:51 PM   #1
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
What is worse than finding a worm in your Apple? (Half a worm!)

More worms in that popular fruit!

For Apple, Pressure Builds Over App Store Fraud
By EVELYN M. RUSLI and BRIAN X. CHEN
Published: March 15, 2012, NY Times

"In a little over an hour, Ryan Matthew Pierson racked up $437.71 in iTunes charges for virtual currency that he could use to buy guns, nightclubs and cars in iMobster, a popular iPhone game. One problem: Mr. Pierson, a technology writer in Texas, has never played iMobster.

“This was fraud,” said Mr. Pierson, recalling the November incident. “I woke up, checked my e-mail, and I could see these purchases happening in real time.”

Mr. Pierson raised the issue with Apple and his bank, and the problem was eventually resolved. But his experience is hardly unique, as reflected by hundreds of online complaints saying that Apple’s iTunes Store, and in particular its App Store, which the company portrays as the safest of shopping environments, is not so secure..."

"Jian Huang, head of Hoolai Game in Beijing. Hoolai, a game developer, discovered that it was missing payments from Apple."

"Ryan Matthew Pierson, a technology writer, said purchases were made from his iTunes account without his knowledge."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/16/te...fraud.html?hpw

I have said it before. The worse thing about Apple is the iTunes store.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:09 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
There is no security issue. You are reading it wrong.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2012, 11:30 PM   #3
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
So it's Apple's fault that (as nearly all of these cases are the result of "social engineering") many people quite happily hand over their data without realising it or because they're just plain stupid... they reply to requests for all of their details because they're told "there's a problem with your account" or they click "OK" on dubious offers of protection (which then drop trojans and worms on their systems) or click on "cancel" because they don't want the "generous offer" without realising (or thinking) that any response gets them in trouble when closing down is the only sensible response...

The primary responsibility to protect your data resides with you, you can't blame anyone else for handing the keys of your car to a stranger if your car then gets stolen with them...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:28 AM   #4
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Oh, I thought it was Siri.
Or the iTunes app.
Or releasing incremental updates.
Or their focus on marketing over technology.

You've posted so many anti-Apple threads, it is hard to keep them all straight
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:
More worms in that popular fruit!

For Apple, Pressure Builds Over App Store Fraud
By EVELYN M. RUSLI and BRIAN X. CHEN
Published: March 15, 2012, NY Times

"In a little over an hour, Ryan Matthew Pierson racked up $437.71 in iTunes charges for virtual currency that he could use to buy guns, nightclubs and cars in iMobster, a popular iPhone game. One problem: Mr. Pierson, a technology writer in Texas, has never played iMobster.

“This was fraud,” said Mr. Pierson, recalling the November incident. “I woke up, checked my e-mail, and I could see these purchases happening in real time.”

Mr. Pierson raised the issue with Apple and his bank, and the problem was eventually resolved. But his experience is hardly unique, as reflected by hundreds of online complaints saying that Apple’s iTunes Store, and in particular its App Store, which the company portrays as the safest of shopping environments, is not so secure..."

"Jian Huang, head of Hoolai Game in Beijing. Hoolai, a game developer, discovered that it was missing payments from Apple."

"Ryan Matthew Pierson, a technology writer, said purchases were made from his iTunes account without his knowledge."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/16/te...fraud.html?hpw

I don't see the problem with the iTunes store? As I said in the other thread: How is this apples fault? We take a risk anytime we put our CC info online. It's no different with any other online retailer.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #6
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
So it's Apple's fault that (as nearly all of these cases are the result of "social engineering") many people quite happily hand over their data without realising it or because they're just plain stupid... they reply to requests for all of their details because they're told "there's a problem with your account" or they click "OK" on dubious offers of protection (which then drop trojans and worms on their systems) or click on "cancel" because they don't want the "generous offer" without realising (or thinking) that any response gets them in trouble when closing down is the only sensible response...

The primary responsibility to protect your data resides with you, you can't blame anyone else for handing the keys of your car to a stranger if your car then gets stolen with them...
I remember from the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads that Apple had one where they implied PCs had viruses and Macs didn't. We know this is a fallacy, but not everybody does - maybe it gave some people a false sense of security and they dropped their guard. Just saying.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Oh, I thought it was Siri.
Or the iTunes app.
Or releasing incremental updates.
Or their focus on marketing over technology.

You've posted so many anti-Apple threads, it is hard to keep them all straight
I agree. You seem to spend a lot of time looking for Apple stories.

Got something you need to get off your chest?
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #8
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
See that Galaxy Tab in his device list? It has an inferiority complex, lol.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #9
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post

Banging a tiresome drum.
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #10
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I remember from the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads that Apple had one where they implied PCs had viruses and Macs didn't. We know this is a fallacy, but not everybody does - maybe it gave some people a false sense of security and they dropped their guard. Just saying.
This is about fraud. Not viruses. Lol.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #11
cjr72
Groupie
cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 6p, Nexus 10
Quote:

The ironic thing is he is as obsessed with Apple as Apple fanboys are.
cjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #12
Venus
Country girl
Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
This is about fraud. Not viruses. Lol.
So you think that fraud is the better of the two evils. I think the point afv was making was about the perception of safety that many Apple purchasers have.
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #13
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallOfCth'reader View Post
Banging a tiresome drum.
My dear Apple friends.

It is the price of fame. Apple stories hit the front pages. Apple gets the news headline. The pundits, analysts, and other reporters talk up Apple.
Apple wonders. Apple sales. Apple leadership. Apple at the top.

I only report what is front page news for this is the News section of Mobileread.

In a way, I am like that mere "slave" that rode along with Caesar and as the crowds cried out in adulation, glorifying Caesar, the slave said repeatedly "thou are only a man."

I ride in the chariot with Apple and say thou are only a machine.

It's a sad thing to have to kick sand onto a God, but still some of us don't shirk at important missions.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #14
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
My dear Apple friends.

It is the price of fame. Apple stories hit the front pages. Apple gets the news headline. The pundits, analysts, and other reporters talk up Apple.
Apple wonders. Apple sales. Apple leadership. Apple at the top.

I only report what is front page news for this is the News section of Mobileread.

In a way, I am like that mere "slave" that rode along with Caesar and as the crowds cried out in adulation, glorifying Caesar, the slave said repeatedly "thou are only a man."

I ride in the chariot with Apple and say thou are only a machine.

It's a sad thing to have to kick sand onto a God, but still some of us don't shirk at important missions.

Priceless!

When I read the
Quote:
My dear Apple friends.
line... all I could think of was the Blue Meanies from The Yellow Submarine.

Last edited by MrsJoseph; 03-16-2012 at 01:53 PM. Reason: More info
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #15
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
When I read the line... all I could think of was the Blue Meanies from The Yellow Submarine.

K for you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blue_meanie_by_rosemaryjayne.jpg
Views:	982
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	84041  
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote