Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
LisaRealWriter
LisaRealWriter began at the beginning.

Device: none
prc to mobi help!

When converting a prc file to a mobi file (trust me, I have reasons for this), I'm able to fix the paragraph indent problem with the 'remove paragraph spacing' option in Look & Feel. (A negative entry in 'indent' doesn't revert to the formatting from the original, as it's supposed to, but I can live with new indents.) However . . . how can I get back my formatting for block paragraphs, i.e. when I want NO indents?
LisaRealWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
.prc and .mobii are the same, all you have to do is change .prc to .mobi in the file name
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2012, 04:52 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickredding View Post
.prc and .mobii are the same, all you have to do is change .prc to .mobi in the file name
Yes, exactly. Don't try and do it in Calibre, though. Do a "Save to Disk" on the PRC file, then delete the book from Calibre. Use Windows Explorer to rename the file from ".prc" to ".mobi", then re-add it to Calibre.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
Jeff L
Zealot
Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaRealWriter View Post
When converting a prc file to a mobi file (trust me, I have reasons for this)...
As you declined to explain why you're doing this, the above posters have declined to answer your specific question, responding instead to what they take to be your error.

I'll speculate that you're trying to change the formatting, using only the limited options within Calibre. If this is so, I would suggest that you try converting to either HTMLZ or epub where you have better control over changes.

Edit the HTMLZ or epub source as needed then convert back to mobi.
Jeff L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
LisaRealWriter
LisaRealWriter began at the beginning.

Device: none
Update: I figured it out. The “select no spacing between paragraphs” and a negative indent does work, except I had to make a lot of adjustments to the format in the html file.

For inquiring minds: I am trying to create a Kindle book. I use Mobipocket Creator, since that inserts the “start” guide. But it condenses the size of the cover to under 63kb, and the color result is terrible. I tried replacing the cover by feeding it along with the created opf file into Kindlegen, but even though the program is not supposed to condense a cover that’s under 127kb, it does resample it using the lowest quality, and the cover comes out distorted. (Same thing for Mobi2mobi.) I tried feeding the mobi file into Calibre and then replacing the cover, but the format gets wrecked beyond repair and I get that extra toc at the end of the book no matter what I select. After fiddling around with the html format, I found that feeding the Mobipocket-created prc file into Calibre works perfectly. The cover is great, all the guides work, the ncx navigation is perfect, and only my internal toc is included. (Plus, now I don’t have to fiddle with the files in the Mobipocket stage to get the ncx file working, since Calibre does it all.) The result is great. Now aren’t you sorry you asked? ;-)
LisaRealWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2012, 11:16 PM   #6
Jeff L
Zealot
Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaRealWriter View Post
... the cover comes out distorted. (Same thing for Mobi2mobi.)
Didn't know Mobi2mobi did that. I haven't noticed a degradation.

Quote:
... and I get that extra toc at the end of the book no matter what I select.
As of ver 0.8.37 released Jan 27, 2012, Calibre won't add an additional TOC if 1) you already have an inline TOC, 2) it's properly referenced in your OPF Guide section, and 3) you specify "Do not add Table of Contents to book."

Caveat: The TOC reference in the Guide must be in a manner that Calibre can handle.
Jeff L is offline   Reply With Quote