Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 01-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #151
jonnickell
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubulor View Post
jonnickell, did you install a custom ROM or did you stick with the TapNTouch one that came with it?
No, I stuck with the stock for now. Viewsonic has updated the stock and now I have pretty good flash support (not perfect) and everything seems pretty snappy to me...especially using the Opera browser ( I just can't get over how smooth it scrolls compared to stock or Dolphin HD).

So for now stock is good enough....though I have been following the Rom work going on on XDA....and may change my mind soon for either my gtablet or nook color!

Old 01-08-2011, 05:40 AM   #152
robot
Edge User

Let's go back to EE and android 2.2

I do not want to upset users, but for now 2.2 on EE does not make sense (and I'm not sure that anything higher than 2.1 will be officially released in full feature version anytime). ;(

2.2 has three advantages: speed, battery life, and a full Flush. All this works because the 2.2 uses a graphics accelerator, as well as special modes of operation (set of instructions) of hardware. The real problem is that EE's hardware not supported or (and this give us an hope) developers of hardware doesn't published drivers to support the needed modes.

For example, full version of Flash 10 (for android) reqired processor ARMv7 and higher. We have ARMv5, so flash is unstable (trully it just force close the browser, so nothing work). But on another hand EE's PXA168 board have an MMX coproccessor which can be used for Flash player. But only either Adobe or hardware manufactor can make it happen.

The same for android GUI speed. EE's engineer said that user interface is very slow due to big resolution of EE. But the truth is that 2.2 use GPU (hardware acceleration) to speed up many things. At first I thought that there's no GPU on EE, but after some research I found that EE have good enough hardware accelerator on board. So ones again, if EE's enginers will ask manufactor for drivers which support hardware acceleration, android will work very fast and smoothly on EE display.

As for power consumption in 2.2, once again on one hand it's also required manufactors drivers, but the real problem is that it's very bugly. For example WiFi loose connection but show that connection exist and don't want to reconnect.

As for Android 3.0, wich is optimised for tablets, it's even more heavily uses hardware acceleration. So the only hope to get anything higher than 2.1 is that EE will make some pressure on hardware and Flash manufactors.

p.s. does the specification of EE originally mention that it support Adobe Flash, wich were changed to Flash Lite lately?

Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 08:41 AM   #153
alefor
Edge User

What you say makes sense. We have been told through this forum that Froyo (2.2) is on its way, although as you point out, due to hardware considerations, it may not work as smoothly as people hope. As for Honeycomb (3.0), perhaps Entourage would use that as a reason to upgrade the hardware, meaning if you want that you have to buy another eDGe. Of course, that model has been in effect as long as PCs have been around. Good way to keep people buying your hardware. Anyway, I think your points are interesting indeed.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:16 AM   #154
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot View Post
2.2 has three advantages: speed, battery life, and a full Flush. All this works because the 2.2 uses a graphics accelerator, as well as special modes of operation (set of instructions) of hardware. The real problem is that EE's hardware not supported or (and this give us an hope) developers of hardware doesn't published drivers to support the needed modes.
Your insight into the insides of the eDGe is fascinating as always, robot While to your knowledge the driver support appears to be absent, it gives me hope that it's at least possible and all that's required is that the enTourage and Marvell engineers collaborate to write the necessary drivers for the hardware that's already there. We don't know if that's happening, but at least we know it's possible. It's certainly exciting to consider the possibilities of tapping into the hardware muscle that's currently lying at least partly dormant

I believe the Marvell chip that enTourage uses was brand new back in 2009, so drivers take time to develop and stabilize. The "Sleep" mode that was introduced this past summer is an example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot View Post
p.s. does the specification of EE originally mention that it support Adobe Flash, wich were changed to Flash Lite lately?
I recall that it was always advertised as "Flash Lite", going back to the Fall of 2009 when the EE first came to light. Full Flash was always listed as part of 2.x. Full Flash for any platform is conditional on Adobe certifying the Flash implementation as working correctly and with a certain standard of performance/compatibility.

Last edited by borisb; 01-08-2011 at 09:22 AM.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:09 AM   #155
robot
Edge User

The only thing that give me hope, is the Entourage' statement that they already have version of Froyo with Flash worked somehow (they mention bugs and slow speed, but at least it work). On my experiments browser crashed instantly. So if we were not missleaded and they really run Flash10 at least on some sites, we have the big chances to get it worked.

Advert