Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-04-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
nonentity
nonentity began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4
How to tell if a book has already been read?

I have hundreds of short stories in my library and I can't keep track which stories I have finished. Is there a way to tell if a book has already been opened/read? The kindle has a progress bar under the title showing that I've already read that book, but the nook touch doesn't have that feature.
nonentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:29 AM   #2
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonentity View Post
I have hundreds of short stories in my library and I can't keep track which stories I have finished. Is there a way to tell if a book has already been opened/read? The kindle has a progress bar under the title showing that I've already read that book, but the nook touch doesn't have that feature.
I always archive the books I have read, so that only the books that I have yet to read are shown in my library.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2011, 03:43 AM   #3
Haloman800
Haloman800 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
I always archive the books I have read, so that only the books that I have yet to read are shown in my library.
Smart idea, I'm going to start doing that.

edit: there's not a way to archive books you've sideloaded, is there?
Haloman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:52 AM   #4
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haloman800 View Post
edit: there's not a way to archive books you've sideloaded, is there?
No, you can only archive B&N books (using Wifi).
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:28 AM   #5
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I'm pretty sure there is no way to tell on the Touch which books have been read. Seems like you would have to come up with some scheme of your own. For example, perhaps you could put a bookmark on the very last page of a book (or very first page, whatever...) when you finish it. Another idea would be to set up a special shelf called "Read" and add books to it when you finish them.

Also, isn't there a "comments" area available? I seem to remember something like that. If so, you could use that. The special shelf idea has the advantage that you don't have to open the book to find out.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2011, 11:37 PM   #6
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
I use the shelves to keep track of stuff. I have a shelf called "unread," and when I finish a book I remove it from that shelf.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:37 AM   #7
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Interesting. I purge my device of everything I've finished reading every time I hook it to the computer to side-load new content. I really don't use my nook to store content.

I have a huge volume of short-stories on my nook currently. It contains roughly 150 short stories. I mark which stories I've read using notes in the table of contents.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote