Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 05-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #286
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Hi kiwidude,

I'm getting errors when trying to use the jacket options:

Remove all metadata jackets
Spoiler:
Code:
calibre, version 0.8.53
ERROR: Modify ePub failed: No ePub files were updated

Modify ePubs
Logfile for book ID 6100 (Old Man's War test / John Scalzi)
  Modifying:  C:\DOCUME~1\JackieS\LOCALS~1\Temp\calibre_0.8.53_tmp_ujdvxr\r2d2wc_modify_epub\6100.epub
	Looking for all jackets
Old Man's War test - ERROR: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre_plugins.modify_epub.modify", line 69, in process_book
  File "calibre_plugins.modify_epub.modify", line 156, in _process_book
  File "calibre_plugins.modify_epub.jacket", line 66, in remove_all_jackets
AttributeError: 'ExtendedContainer' object has no attribute 'get'

ePub not changed after 0.28 seconds

Add/replace metadata jacket
Spoiler:
Code:
calibre, version 0.8.53
ERROR: Modify ePub failed: No ePub files were updated

Modify ePubs
Logfile for book ID 6100 (Old Man's War test / John Scalzi)
  Modifying:  C:\DOCUME~1\JackieS\LOCALS~1\Temp\calibre_0.8.53_tmp_ujdvxr\0sdgo2_modify_epub\6100.epub
	Adding or updating jacket
Old Man's War test - ERROR: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre_plugins.modify_epub.modify", line 69, in process_book
  File "calibre_plugins.modify_epub.modify", line 158, in _process_book
  File "calibre_plugins.modify_epub.jacket", line 15, in add_replace_jacket
  File "calibre_plugins.modify_epub.jacket", line 43, in remove_non_legacy_jacket
AttributeError: 'ExtendedContainer' object has no attribute 'get'

ePub not changed after 0.25 seconds

I can send an epub link if you need it but I've had it happen on several different epubs.

[Edit:] oops!, I see you've just released a new version - I'll retry with that one.

Last edited by jackie_w; 05-28-2012 at 04:45 PM. Reason: oops
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #287
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ignore
Advert
Old 05-28-2012, 04:58 PM   #288
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@jackie_w - arghhhhhhhhhhhh.... you found another one. Try with the (new) new version above
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #289
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@jackie_w - arghhhhhhhhhhhh.... you found another one.
One does what one can

The new one fixes the above jacket problems on my test file
Old 05-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #290
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

@kiwidude,

FYI,
  • I tried the 'Insert or replace cover' as a single checked item. It seems OK so far.
  • I also tried 'Update metadata (including cover)' as a single checked item. The cover.jpeg file was correctly replaced with the new cover, however, in the file titlepage.xhtml the image dimensions in the svg viewbox and <image> tag retained the old cover dimensions.
Advert
Old 05-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #291
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@jackie_w - thx for the testing/feedback. There is nothing new about that behaviour, and that is exactly the same as what calibre does when you save to disk (it doesn't rewrite the titlepage image dimensions)?
Old 05-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #292
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
@jackie_w - thx for the testing/feedback. There is nothing new about that behaviour, and that is exactly the same as what calibre does when you save to disk (it doesn't rewrite the titlepage image dimensions)?
OK, fair enough.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #293
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm still testing the cover feature.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #294
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just found a bug in the replacing the cover. Links to the old cover XML have not been updated to point to the new cover. Also, the new cover XML is not put with the other XML files and the cover image is not put with the other images.

As for iBooks, the new cover does work fine. But the ToC does not work fine as it has a broken link to the old cover XML that no longer exists.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-28-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:53 AM   #295
kiwidude

@JSWolf - I follow the same approach as the calibre conversion logic does of putting the replacement cover image and html page in the root of the epub, rather than trying to "guess" what the image and content directories are named. It is a possible enhancement to try to put them in similar places that I could attempt, though it is a pretty low priority given most users don't care about how the epub is structured internally (since the likes of Sigil will reorganise the content anyway).

As for the NCX - I need you to PM me a link to the epub in its "before" state so that I can see for myself what is happening. Certainly there is code in there intended to re-point the ncx to the new cover, but obviously you found a situation which beats that logic which is most definitely of interest to me.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:22 AM   #296
kiwidude

@JSWolf - Ok, for the next version (not uploaded yet) I have changed it to attempt to put the generated cover image and titlepage into the appropriate subfolders if they exist in the epub. If the epub has no images it is going to put it in the root folder like it does currently - I don't want to artifically create a hierarchy by adding an images subfolder in case the epub had been intentionally "flattened" in the first place (since that is one of calibre's conversion options and was presumably created to support some device or something).

I have also added logic to ensure that if there is an *inline* TOC html page in the ePub with an entry pointing to the old cover html page, that it will be updated if that old cover page gets removed and the replacement has a different link required. I hadn't done this previously because (a) it means re-writing the html page and (b) I was being lazy, but it is the "right" thing to do.

With regards to the NCX - without seeing your example ePub I started experimenting to try to guess what had gone wrong. The one thing I have found was that if the .ncx is in a different folder to the .opf manifest then things do go a bit wrong. Even calibre gets that particular use case wrong as well during a conversion (Kovid may spot this, otherwise I'll raise a bug report tonight). Perhaps that was the issue with your ePub - regardless if you can send me a link to it to replicate it would be much appreciated.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #297
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
@JSWolf - I follow the same approach as the calibre conversion logic does of putting the replacement cover image and html page in the root of the epub, rather than trying to "guess" what the image and content directories are named. It is a possible enhancement to try to put them in similar places that I could attempt, though it is a pretty low priority given most users don't care about how the epub is structured internally (since the likes of Sigil will reorganise the content anyway).

As for the NCX - I need you to PM me a link to the epub in its "before" state so that I can see for myself what is happening. Certainly there is code in there intended to re-point the ncx to the new cover, but obviously you found a situation which beats that logic which is most definitely of interest to me.
The NCX did get fixed. It was the internal ToC that wasn't fixed. Thanks for this fix.

That sounds good about the placing of the cover files. That should solve things fine. Ill give it some more testing once the next beta is ready. As for the cover, when you are replacing a cover, the plugin should know where the cover image was and where the conver XML was as well.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-29-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #298
kiwidude

New beta version

Right, here's another build (are we there yet?). Particular thanks to JSWolf for the latest feedback. This has these additions:
  • the cover image and titlepage file will be attempted to be placed in the same directory structure as any detected existing images/html pages
  • any inline TOC entries pointing to the old cover will be updated to point to the new cover.
  • should handle encoded images/cover page names (like when they have spaces in them)
  • handle the opf and ncx files being in different directories internally (not sure if this ever happens, but plugin should now cope with it)

Note the inline TOC behaviour above is different to what a calibre conversion does. During a conversion calibre scans the ebook looking for links to the existing cover from other html pages, and if found it decides to *keep* the existing cover page/image and leave links as they are. It then adds a second cover which is what you see at the front. I don't know the reasoning, it might be legacy logic, or there might be a valid reason.

I've decided for this plugin on the other hand that the presence of other html links to a cover page will not alter the decision on whether that page can be safely removed or not. (Only whether there are other images/text on that identified cover page will decide that).

The upshot being we should get cleaner, smaller epubs with a lower chance of double covers. Well until someone points out a flaw in the logic of course...

Last edited by kiwidude; 05-31-2012 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Removing attachment as later version in this thread
Old 05-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #299
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I found one thing that can be fixed with the new beta. The version number should be changed to reflect the current beta.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #300
kiwidude

I'm going to release it as 1.2.0 when the final build is done, which will make sure that anyone who has been trying the beta will get notified via plugin updater. I could have called these beta versions 1.1.9, 1.1.10 etc before then but I hadn't expected there to be quite so many iterations required...